OIL:)
09-11-2004, 03:03 PM
No technical forum is complete without the everlasting fighting between members over their choice of oils.

So let us know, what type of oil do you use, Synthetic? Mineral? How often do you change it? what grade do you use? what is your favorite brand? What oil do you have bad experiences with?

Please also give you reason for using the oil, dont just state it and leave us wondering whySmile

I'll answer this question myself after I've made a decision, possibly based on what you guys have to state hereSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
09-11-2004, 05:34 PM
I use Castrol GTX (high mileage). Dont have any particular technical reason for it. It's just the most popular choice of oil among members of the dutch corollaclub. Seems some oils are detrimental to the valve seals (valvoline). GTX is semi-synthetic by the way, I dont know if switching to 5W-? would be very wise on an engine with 190k km's

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2004, 08:54 PM
I have put in valvoline max life. Previous owner was using valvoline turbo v, mineral oil. The car has covered 252k km.

Andrej
09-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Like I said, I followed the recommendations of the people in our club, they had more experience than me. Most of them have 4AFE engines though, so the valve seal problems might just be for them.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-11-2004, 11:24 PM
running 15w40 castrol gtx

Gonne make a new 4A-GE which i then will use with

5w-40 full syn

you have to pick some oil

castrol does sponsor toyota for a long time in motersports

maybe thats why peepz choise it

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
09-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Im using Castrol RS 10w-60 full syn on my 340kkm engine.
The oil is perfect for a high reving engine (and charged) because it stands a lot of heat (60). Alot of guys I know use it for racing as well. At the same time it isnt thin.

The engine uses a little: ~½ L/10kkm Smile

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - OIL:)]
09-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Jan,

I use that for my e30 M3 engine to, in is a great oil for high rev engine's.

Michel

Daily driver: Seat Leon Cupra V6
Summercar: E30 M3 Cecotto
Projectcar: AE86
09-13-2004, 07:38 PM
hi guys.

the 4ag is an old design....

therefor it should use mineral oil.

k

I´m sorry sir, your planet has been sceduled for destruction
in favor of an intergalactic highway -Thank you

Kristian Hesselmark, Sweden
EVO-DRIFT-STREET-DRAG-SHOW
09-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Ah finally, someone bringing up mineral oilSmile

Kristian which oil do you run then? (weight, brand)

There have been many discussion on car forums I hang out on. On the RX7 pages synthetics are near taboo unless you go premix. Problem here has to do with the injection of oil into the combustion chamber and synthetic oils burning differently which is not good for your rotary engineSmile (yes my piston brothers, you hear that right, injection of oil INTO the combustion chamber!Smile)

For piston engines however the general concensus is that synthetic oils are better BUT an engine that has seen mineral oil all its life shouldn't suddenly switch to synthetic. Something about the mineral oil resedue comming off and glogging your oil lines and some other stories about synthetic oils eating your gaskets. And then there are the stories about tolerence issues due to synthetic oils being less thick. In which respect these stories are to be believed or not...... There is so much misinformation aroundSad

That said, you also have to realize that most synthetic oils in the stores are actually really half synthetics.

I still have to hear from the previous owner what he ran. If he ran synthetic in my car I will probably stick with it, if there would have been any damage, its done already. But my gut sais to stick with a high quality mineral oil for any 80s engine.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
09-13-2004, 10:02 PM
---

I´m sorry sir, your planet has been sceduled for destruction
in favor of an intergalactic highway -Thank you

Kristian Hesselmark, Sweden
EVO-DRIFT-STREET-DRAG-SHOW

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  trans oil, lsd oil change Apolan 9 15,803 10-01-2014 03:57 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Oil cooler -> low oil pressure Jan Pedersen 24 28,036 06-06-2013 07:36 PM
Last Post: Deuce Cam
  4AGE crankcase gas and oil pressure too high, sprinking oil demogun 5 6,968 10-01-2011 09:47 AM
Last Post: demogun
  Oil Presure and what oil i have to use? CHACAMAN 4 4,871 08-27-2008 05:35 AM
Last Post: F0Bman
  High engine oil temps - oil cooler discussion SutteR 28 20,642 06-08-2008 11:23 PM
Last Post: eight-six