OIL:)
09-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Ivan141 Wrote:Diff uses GL-5....it hasnt got any copper parts afaik. I have a bottle of MPM SAE-90W GL-5 lsd oil waiting to go into my diff at the next opportunity to put my car on a bridge (tomorrow possibly...I'm having my wheels balanced.

ive changed diff oil for Castrol Saf-Xo lsd oil... the best oil for lsd diffs
Find all posts by this user
10-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Just bringing an old thread to life since I'll be buying some oil tomorow.

First, does anyone know how many liters go into the engine, how much goes into the gearbox and how much goes into the diff?

I'm probably going to get valvoline. Does anyone know what the benefit is for GL-5 LS oil for LSDs and normal GL-5 oil?

Other then that I'm gonne stick to 10W40 for the engine and GL-4 for the gearbox.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
10-29-2004, 09:39 PM
mux213 Wrote:Just bringing an old thread to life since I'll be buying some oil tomorow.

First, does anyone know how many liters go into the engine, how much goes into the gearbox and how much goes into the diff?

I'm probably going to get valvoline. Does anyone know what the benefit is for GL-5 LS oil for LSDs and normal GL-5 oil?

Other then that I'm gonne stick to 10W40 for the engine and GL-4 for the gearbox.

engine - i always fill it to the exact specefications on the oil-stick.

Gearbox 1.7L rear diff 1,7L

but both gearbox & diff will overflow at 1.3L

I´m sorry sir, your planet has been sceduled for destruction
in favor of an intergalactic highway -Thank you

Kristian Hesselmark, Sweden
EVO-DRIFT-STREET-DRAG-SHOW
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Hey Kristian,

Same here, dipstick is my lifeSmile

But I need to know how much to buySmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-30-2004, 10:04 AM
I'm not surpised that the diff will overflow if you try to put in 1.7 liters...specs say 1.2 if I remember correctly.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Valvoline site sais:

3.8 liters for engine

1.7 for gearbox

1.3 for diff

Wink

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

11-21-2004, 02:43 AM
I need to change the oil on my 4age soon but after reading these posts i don`t know which oil to use.For the LSD i bought oil from my local toyota dealer.The oil looked the same as the oil that came out.Sort of grey,a bit thick, looked very strange.

As for my 4age what oil should i get?everyone is using different brands,viscosities and mineral or syntethic.What does Toyota say in their instruction manuals about oils?
11-21-2004, 11:10 AM
I'm still wondering if there is any importent difference between 'normal' GL-5 diff oil and diff oil for LSDs.. I can't get a good answer about that one from the local shopsSad

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

11-21-2004, 04:19 PM
in my lucky position at work i sometimes get the chance to speak to engineers of different companys. after a conversion with a guy from shell i had this opinion on oils.

this is what an application engineer told me:

for lubrication synthetic is many times bether than mineral.
for durability synthetic is not good. the synthetic stuff is "breaking" at higher temperatures in a periodically way (above 100-110°C this happens quickly!).
the first number is the viscosity of the base oil. the second number is the viscosity reached through chemistry.
oil with a big viscosity range has lots of synthetic and breaks quicker.

what is semi-synthetic???
these are synthetic oils as well. every oil that has a viscosity range has synthetics. they just say full-synthetic to 0W-xx and 5W-xx oils. everything else is called semi-synthetic

so i will use 10W-40 for everyday and change it after 5 - 10tkm. and for trackdays i will get 20W-50 valvoline because of it´s thicker base-oil and less synthetic stuff. (also heard from drag racers who stoped breaking bearings after changing from 10W-60 to 20W-50)

for gearbox oil i will choose a safe 80W-90 and for diff i will try the 75W-140 diff oil from castrol.
12-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Bringing the thread back to live again...

this week I will service my hachi.

I need:

Oil Filter - gonna try the toyota dealer (but I know 20vWill has saved me a few)
Oil - will try Castrol 10-40W

Spark plugs ? I haven't got a clue what to use here or the gap required - anyone have any ideas ?

I am also going to replace the coolant too - I guess a mix of Castrol antifreeze and regular water will do the trick

Regards Ian.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - OIL:)]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  trans oil, lsd oil change Apolan 9 15,807 10-01-2014 03:57 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Oil cooler -> low oil pressure Jan Pedersen 24 28,037 06-06-2013 07:36 PM
Last Post: Deuce Cam
  4AGE crankcase gas and oil pressure too high, sprinking oil demogun 5 6,969 10-01-2011 09:47 AM
Last Post: demogun
  Oil Presure and what oil i have to use? CHACAMAN 4 4,871 08-27-2008 05:35 AM
Last Post: F0Bman
  High engine oil temps - oil cooler discussion SutteR 28 20,642 06-08-2008 11:23 PM
Last Post: eight-six