OEM LSD modification
11-18-2012, 10:46 PM
OEM LSD modification
LSD Modification - Toyota Corolla AE86

There are a few ways to alter the effectiveness of your Limited Slip Diff (LSD). These include:
• Changing the diameter of the clutch plates. You can increase the diameter of the outer clutch plates, but this is not good for the lifetime of the clutch plates.
• Friction coefficient (moving steel to steel in oil is 0,03 – 0,09). This is nearly impossible to increase easily.
• Pressure on the clutch plates. You can change the pressure by changing the shape of the mechanism in the LSD. This can be complicated and the improvement is not worth the effort.
• Change the number of clutch plates. I chose this method. See below for detailed explanation.

Procedure:
I have modified the stock-standard rear Limited Slip Diff (LSD) by adding one extra pair of clutch plates on each side. This means the LSD effect is doubled.
This modification was cheap and had very good results. It is not necessary to buy an after-market LSD for 1000€’s

The clutch plates were laser cut from 14220 Steel, then tempered and surface ground to the right thickness. The inner teeth were hand finished for a perfect fit. The stock clutch plates were re-ground thinner, as the complete thickness of the five clutch plates had to be same (or slightly bigger) as the original three.
LSD clutch plates

I have been running this mod in my Blacktop powered AE86 for one year and this season powered with a F20C engine with this LSD modification in.
I use this car primarily for drifting. It is still working perfectly, even with constant abuse!
For daily use (and for driving in the rain) you need to drive carefully, as the LSD locks very easily.

see this video to proove it works!!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - OEM LSD modification]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

JZD
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-19-2012, 02:15 PM
OEM LSD modification
nicely done - add a solid spacer and you'll have an even nicer setup.

if I remember correctly weirperformance is using the bigger diameter (on clutch and stationary plates) approach - I guess that will eliminate the ill wear effect on the clutch plates. They also increase the spring rate.

I wonder how your setup and the weir upgrade would compare?

PS: do you have the drawings for the plates on file? I might give your solution a try if I can find some suitable steal.

AE86 ex-daily
11-19-2012, 11:45 PM
OEM LSD modification
Autodrom Sosnová I was there around 2006 with my 200SX.

What is the price for the additional plates in LSD?

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
11-21-2012, 12:00 PM
OEM LSD modification
Bean Bandit Wrote:nicely done - add a solid spacer and you'll have an even nicer setup.

if I remember correctly weirperformance is using the bigger diameter (on clutch and stationary plates) approach - I guess that will eliminate the ill wear effect on the clutch plates. They also increase the spring rate.

PS: do you have the drawings for the plates on file? I might give your solution a try if I can find some suitable steal.

Hi, The Weir kit is nothing like this. In this setup you can increase the diameter too, but it is so minimal gain. With theese double plates it feels like agresive kaaz. When you do slow turns, you can already feel it.
And if you would use stronger springs with my setup it would feel like welded already. As now it lock very easily, but when you press the clutch then it is not locking.

This setup is more recomended for the track car. For the daily it is already very aggresive.

JZD
11-21-2012, 12:19 PM
OEM LSD modification
ZaX Wrote:Autodrom Sosnová I was there around 2006 with my 200SX.

What is the price for the additional plates in LSD?

Hi Zax,

Yes Sosnová, are you comming again one da to sosnová?

The price for the plates from the right material would be 60€

Then you have to take the stock plats regrind the to thiner, then regrind new plates to the requested thicknes and you are done..

Or you can send me the OEM plates and I will prepare the complete set with regrinded to the right thickness.

It would be 80€

PS: By the way, great car you have. Found on youtube!!

Petr

JZD
11-22-2012, 09:49 AM
OEM LSD modification
No plans on Sosnova any time soon with a drift car. Smile
Found some pics from that time

Do I have to send you new OEM plates or used ones are OK?

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
11-22-2012, 10:41 AM
OEM LSD modification
malejyetti Wrote:
Bean Bandit Wrote:nicely done - add a solid spacer and you'll have an even nicer setup.

Hi, The Weir kit is nothing like this. In this setup you can increase the diameter too, but it is so minimal gain. With theese double plates it feels like agresive kaaz. When you do slow turns, you can already feel it.
And if you would use stronger springs with my setup it would feel like welded already. As now it lock very easily, but when you press the clutch then it is not locking.

This setup is more recomended for the track car. For the daily it is already very aggresive.

thanks for the update Smile

AE86 ex-daily
11-22-2012, 08:17 PM
OEM LSD modification
ZaX Wrote:No plans on Sosnova any time soon with a drift car. Smile
Found some pics from that time

Do I have to send you new OEM plates or used ones are OK?

Great,

used ones of course..

Petr

JZD
11-24-2012, 12:45 AM
OEM LSD modification
Is this mod only for GTS rear-ends?

I could use this bad. Unfortunately I have a SR5 rear-end.
Find all posts by this user
11-24-2012, 04:59 PM
OEM LSD modification
Tig Wrote:Is this mod only for GTS rear-ends?

I could use this bad. Unfortunately I have a SR5 rear-end.

HI,

I am sorry this modification is only for GT - LSD.

Petr

JZD

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Tank Modification apardal 1 5,142 08-11-2014 06:59 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  OEM LSD Question heshan 26 19,758 07-19-2014 08:18 AM
Last Post: heshan
  All I should know about suspension before any modification damusto 20 19,640 05-24-2013 09:28 PM
Last Post: damusto
  OEM lsd rebuild kit and exterior parts NightAddict 6 7,459 01-07-2013 11:01 PM
Last Post: T_AE86
  ae86 oem lsd Captainl 3 4,764 07-05-2011 08:48 AM
Last Post: Captainl