Not so DIY: Made a T-50 Bellhousing to W58 transmission adap
09-10-2009, 01:15 PM
assassin10000 Wrote:Aren't the 1c/2c bellhousings used for the S-series (3S-GE/3S-GTE) engines? I think they are very similar to the 1S/2S. Not applicable to the 4A-GE/GZE IIRC.
You are entirely right about that one!! Blush
I just mixed up two things there... Banging head

I should have said the W58 4AGE bellhousings there... Those are also quite difficult to get by: toyocoolrolla has them once a year and some Australian company fabricates them as well but are a bit expensive to ship. Undecided

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Not so DIY: Made a T-50 Bel...ssion adap]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Not sure if you knew of and/struck out with this crowd but heres a link to a company making 4age- W series bellhousings here in NZ.

http://a1turbos.co.nz/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...y_Code=1QT

major benefits from this is you use all std toyota parts (clutchfork release bearing , slave cylinder etc) and it also allows you to run the largest 4agze flywheel/clutch combo available.

exchange rate works in favour of pretty much anyone outside New Zealand too which helps

3RZFTE TA63 Carina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkk_2-dl7GE
Find all posts by this user
09-10-2009, 09:44 PM
banpei Wrote:[quote="assassin10000"]
I should have said the W58 4AGE bellhousings there... Those are also quite difficult to get by: toyocoolrolla has them once a year and some Australian company fabricates them as well but are a bit expensive to ship. Undecided

The AUS company is Dellow. I've run across several posts in my research that show the dellow lacks the reinforcment/ribs that a better design bellhousing does and tends to crack due to poor design & materials (not first hand knowledge!).

The same has been said about some of Rhett/toycoolrolla's.

There was enough to put me off on choosing either one of those.

toyotaloyal Wrote:Not sure if you knew of and/struck out with this crowd but heres a link to a company making 4age- W series bellhousings here in NZ.

http://a1turbos.co.nz/

major benefits from this is you use all std toyota parts (clutchfork release bearing , slave cylinder etc) and it also allows you to run the largest 4agze flywheel/clutch combo available.

exchange rate works in favour of pretty much anyone outside New Zealand too which helps

Yep, that was my #1 choice... originally.

The adapter I made uses standard toyota parts, with the exception of the adapter/spacer & weld on sleeve Wink .

Granted, the adapter & stock bellhousing doesn't allow the use of the larger late model GZE flywheel like the nitepartz/a1turboz. But if you do further research the nitepartz/a1turboz piece requires a little grinding of the housing to fit that flywheel. Also, I don't need a larger flywheel considering I'm running a stock motor, and have no plans to turbo/gze/ect that would really require a larger clutch setup. And they're are plenty of clutch upgrades that would hold with the smaller 200/212mm flywheels & more power available as well...

In any case, when I had $ in hand there were none available & I didn't get an response to my emails inquiring on ETA.

Also, with the bellhousings, your shifter will most likely NOT be in the right position. And if I had used it with the trans I had, it would have required cutting the front of my shifter hole. Or sourcing the much more rare 19" position shift housing & internal lever (even more $$$).

Andrew
09-10-2009, 10:27 PM
ahh right- i see what you saying bout the shifter positions- question, do the W58s have the same options for positions from factory or no? somehting ive never bothered to check.
The early incarnations of the A1 turbos bellhousings had to have some grindy grindy to fit the late ze fly/clutch until the mould was "massaged" a bit so they now fit straight up.

3RZFTE TA63 Carina

09-11-2009, 03:46 AM
toyotaloyal Wrote:ahh right- i see what you saying bout the shifter positions- question, do the W58s have the same options for positions from factory or no? somehting ive never bothered to check.

The early incarnations of the A1 turbos bellhousings had to have some grindy grindy to fit the late ze fly/clutch until the mould was "massaged" a bit so they now fit straight up.

There's 4 positions available from the factory as shown in the pic.

From the left, #1 & #3 are readily available in the states. #1 from the RA6x/MA6x chassis (celica/celica-supra), and #3 from the MA70 supra.

#2 is the closest to matching the T-50. T-50 = 19.25", supposedly 19" on this one. But it is rare & hard to get. I can't remember what chassis it was for sure, but in 2-3 months of searching I couldn't find one.

#4 from the SA63/GX81.

NOTE: Info on #2 & #4 is sketchy for me, not firsthand knowledge. Only what I can find online, so confirm it yourself.

Andrew
09-11-2009, 04:58 AM
ahh right i wasnt sure if the 58 had the same shitfer options as the rest of the W series boxes. cool to know

3RZFTE TA63 Carina

12-24-2009, 12:15 AM
UPDATE: regarding the speedo. There is NOT a set of speedo drive/driven gears available from Toyota USA to have our speedo's set correctly. So I did a little research and found out speedo shops have something called 'ratio adapters' you can buy and specify how much to change the ratio. They typically cost $60-80 USD locally.

In any case, I used a GPS to track how much my speedo was off and purchased a ratio adapter by telling them the percentage the speedo was off. IE: 45mph on GPS, 60mph on speedo = 25% slower needed. Installs right on the end of the transmission between it and the cable, and helps the cable clear the custom crossmember when in an offset configuration.

Ratio adapter:
Note: it can be flipped so it's 'inline'.

Andrew

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gearbox mount and transmission mount gh0st 9 2,670 05-08-2022 03:28 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  DIY: a quick outline on why & how to set pinion angle. assassin10000 9 17,012 12-21-2016 10:28 PM
Last Post: ditn
  4A-GE bellhousing on a 20 spline T50 The Doctor 2 6,209 09-30-2016 03:38 PM
Last Post: The Doctor
  Anyone running DIY Coilovers? Rasteirinho 8 12,781 11-19-2013 10:30 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Were to find 4AG-ZE gaskets in toyota diy? fax0815 17 14,464 05-28-2013 10:17 PM
Last Post: ditn