Newera's other project... A sort German version of the AE86.
10-18-2009, 04:38 AM
Very nice job!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Newera's other project... A... the AE86.]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Very clean nice daily driver you've got there, Miguel!

But how does it perform compared to the AE?
I am just coming from a racing day and still can see a bone stock AE beating lightweight E30 with overbored 2,8i engine. Dont know what and how, both drivers were good.
The track was twisty - 140 was max speed any only once.

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984
10-18-2009, 06:33 PM
That a e30 with a different engine, nor a M3.

2,8 is 6 cyl = more weight.

Besides the engine has different characteristic.

Philip
Find all posts by this user
10-18-2009, 07:23 PM
cannabolic Wrote:That a e30 with a different engine, nor a M3.

2,8 is 6 cyl = more weight.

Besides the engine has different characteristic.

Sure, no doubt it is like this. This one had more than 270HP, so I think it is more question of car balance and car concept.
Still curious to hear Miguels comparisonSmile (shouldnt be offtopic i think).

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984
10-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Aram Wrote:Looking good Miguel!
Did Lennert visit yet? Wink

Lennert (Robokill) took some days to be able to reach me, as I'd been away in Europe - but he got in touch Wednesday morning and came to a Daikoku Futo meet that night. Then he spent almost 2 days with us from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. First at a pre-race party, then working on our road registered endurance car - for a race on 24th Oct. He's now been made an honorary member of our team.

http://tgrdatalog.blogspot.com/2009/10/w...art-1.html

We did some work on the brakes (re-cutting the front discs as they'd warped, changing the tie rod ends' allignment and an engine oil change), then drove back to Fuji in the AE86. After arriving we emptied our cargo & went to do some Touge with it (Wet roads with a lot of hairpins - car on very grippy tyres though). I think I can safely say he liked it.... A LOT hehehe.

Although still indecently quick TBH - the 4AGE is in need of some maintenance... Being a race engine, it is due for a light refresh as it's lost it's edge at the top - Soft piston rings need replacing every 1-2 years, valves re-seating, new bearings, etc. It's still very quick, but I remember it was even more mentally fast when it was fresh. Clutch is also on it's last legs & won't take any more abuse - or itll cry "enough!!" and disintegrate, hehe. After the other project there is out of the way it'll go to TPS to have a winter refresh, ready for next year.

So then we put the 86 away as quietly as we could and took out the M3. It's quicker than the AE86 as it's more powerful. Not sure if it would keep up on a tight mountain road being softer road suspension with some modifications and with no rose joints in the suspension, except the uprated ARB's but in the last 2 days we've been using it - it's impressed with the grip, feel and handling. It lets go very progressively and makes a very usable & enjoyable driving tool. Engine's a gem, but I still have to do some work to the exhaust as it's so damn loud it drowns the sound of the DTM carbon intake - which is not right. Angry I have two custom made resonators to TIG weld in when I get a chance...

Lennert drove it and was impressed I think though he found the dogleg gearbox a little difficult to master until towards the end of his drive. The hydraulics are all still original and the clutch is barely releasing - Just another job I need to find some time to do soonish. New cylinders are here and waiting to go in - Till now I've just been driving around it. Tinkering and fixing every last fault is the fun in these cars.

Then we finished with the RX-7, which... well, made him a bit speechless for a while as he couldn't put the experience of so much power combined with so much control into words at first.
For someone who likes talking so much I had to giggle.. Then he drove that too..

Then we ran into the craziest van meet you will ever see. We later followed some street drifters on the Fuji roads for a few of their runs before doing some more driving in the RX-7, then finally going home.

Before he left I did ask him which was his favourite and we share the same view.... He can reveal more.

Next day, Fuji mountain revealed itself to him it it's full glory before he took the bus back to Shinjuku. Rare to see this time of the year. I'll let him put into his own words, etc. what he felt about the cars, the touge roads and the driving experiences.

So, in a nutshell - we both experienced all 3 of my mistresses all in one night. Hurray! Hurray! Hurray!

We had big fun till 5am on Saturday night... Thanks for helping make & share some more petrol headed memories Lennert. We all really enjoyed meeting you - you'll be missed on the 24th! No doubt we'll be seeing you again mate. Thumbs up!

VISIT OUR NEW WEBSITES!!!!
A Tuner's Paradise
Automotive Art On Film
Dedication To Automotive Perfection

Japan Office Tel - (Calls charged at UK National Rate): 0207-193-3979.
Mobile (Japan): +81- (0) 90-4133-3825 Fax (Japan): +81-(0) 47-307-4678
10-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Hahaha, great stuff! Thumbs up!

ehm

Damn, I'm jealous! Angry Tongue
11-01-2009, 02:33 AM
Miguel - Newera Wrote:
Aram Wrote:Looking good Miguel!
Did Lennert visit yet? Wink

Lennert (Robokill) took some days to be able to reach me, as I'd been away in Europe - but he got in touch Wednesday morning and came to a Daikoku Futo meet that night. Then he spent almost 2 days with us from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. First at a pre-race party, then working on our road registered endurance car - for a race on 24th Oct. He's now been made an honorary member of our team.

http://tgrdatalog.blogspot.com/2009/10/w...art-1.html

We did some work on the brakes (re-cutting the front discs as they'd warped, changing the tie rod ends' allignment and an engine oil change), then drove back to Fuji in the AE86. After arriving we emptied our cargo & went to do some Touge with it (Wet roads with a lot of hairpins - car on very grippy tyres though). I think I can safely say he liked it.... A LOT hehehe.

Although still indecently quick TBH - the 4AGE is in need of some maintenance... Being a race engine, it is due for a light refresh as it's lost it's edge at the top - Soft piston rings need replacing every 1-2 years, valves re-seating, new bearings, etc. It's still very quick, but I remember it was even more mentally fast when it was fresh. Clutch is also on it's last legs & won't take any more abuse - or itll cry "enough!!" and disintegrate, hehe. After the other project there is out of the way it'll go to TPS to have a winter refresh, ready for next year.

So then we put the 86 away as quietly as we could and took out the M3. It's quicker than the AE86 as it's more powerful. Not sure if it would keep up on a tight mountain road being softer road suspension with some modifications and with no rose joints in the suspension, except the uprated ARB's but in the last 2 days we've been using it - it's impressed with the grip, feel and handling. It lets go very progressively and makes a very usable & enjoyable driving tool. Engine's a gem, but I still have to do some work to the exhaust as it's so damn loud it drowns the sound of the DTM carbon intake - which is not right. Angry I have two custom made resonators to TIG weld in when I get a chance...

Lennert drove it and was impressed I think though he found the dogleg gearbox a little difficult to master until towards the end of his drive. The hydraulics are all still original and the clutch is barely releasing - Just another job I need to find some time to do soonish. New cylinders are here and waiting to go in - Till now I've just been driving around it. Tinkering and fixing every last fault is the fun in these cars.

Then we finished with the RX-7, which... well, made him a bit speechless for a while as he couldn't put the experience of so much power combined with so much control into words at first.
For someone who likes talking so much I had to giggle.. Then he drove that too..

Then we ran into the craziest van meet you will ever see. We later followed some street drifters on the Fuji roads for a few of their runs before doing some more driving in the RX-7, then finally going home.

Before he left I did ask him which was his favourite and we share the same view.... He can reveal more.

Next day, Fuji mountain revealed itself to him it it's full glory before he took the bus back to Shinjuku. Rare to see this time of the year. I'll let him put into his own words, etc. what he felt about the cars, the touge roads and the driving experiences.

So, in a nutshell - we both experienced all 3 of my mistresses all in one night. Hurray! Hurray! Hurray!

We had big fun till 5am on Saturday night... Thanks for helping make & share some more petrol headed memories Lennert. We all really enjoyed meeting you - you'll be missed on the 24th! No doubt we'll be seeing you again mate. Thumbs up!

http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/ae86/p/117913#117913

In my eyes no car will replace the AE86. But for the next level car I think an RX7 FD is a better choice for me than any other car.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
11-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Wow, that's quite a statement robokill... Cool

VISIT OUR NEW WEBSITES!!!!
A Tuner's Paradise
Automotive Art On Film
Dedication To Automotive Perfection

Japan Office Tel - (Calls charged at UK National Rate): 0207-193-3979.
Mobile (Japan): +81- (0) 90-4133-3825 Fax (Japan): +81-(0) 47-307-4678

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newera Import's 200 bhp N/A AE86 - Progress Report! Miguel - Newera 166 231,267 09-19-2013 03:56 PM
Last Post: chrisd1
  Rolla battle version project PL woper 24 18,177 05-07-2007 10:07 AM
Last Post: banpei