Newera Imports AE86 Project - 1st Trackday, Tsukuba, Japan.
11-25-2005, 04:41 AM
Had a blast yesterday in my nearly completed Corolla AE86, It's 1st day out in Tsukuba along with 45 other cars out for a track day.

This is the first time I've driven it in anger since completing most of the build for it. The engine’s a full blueprinted race unit prepared by Techno Pro Spirits with a 9,250 rpm rev limit running 11mm lift 304 degree cams, making around 200 genuine bhp from a 1.6 N/A.
This engine proved itself to be very suited for track use, although I needed to keep it above 5,000 rpm to keep it from bogging down coming out of corners (It makes strong power from 4,500 rpm). I found this is a car that rewards very committed driving and accuracy with the way the power’s applied. I have to say, this car was the most fun I've ever had on a track!! :smokin:

Most enjoyed the way the rear end would go light on downshifts combined with hard braking, as engine braking itself is fairly strong given that it’s running 12.5:1 compression ratio. Despite heeling and toeing perfectly, I found there would still be smoke off the back tyres entering corners, which also helped get the back to step out… Had to keep the engine on song mid corner to come out with full power, which often resulted with exits completely broadside & the engine screaming at full bore.. Grip was surprisingly strong, despite running Potenza RE-01R street tyres and not semi slicks, as the RX-7 does. It was only 2 seconds of the pace of my RX-7 (With which I got 2nd quickest lap of the day Big Grin ).

The AE86 would probably close the gap by a second or so, with semi slicks..
It's still too grippy for drifting, I think, although maybe with some rubbish tyres it'll become looser, but it certainly drifts. Then again, being more focussed on drifting than getting round the track as quick as possible, will make it go sideways better.

The engine is very special indeed. A rev limit this high means I didn't have to change rear as often as other cars. I was chased hard by a stripped out Integra Type R DC2 which has 200cc more and much the same power and it wasn't catching me. A couple of Skyline R32 GT-R's weren't gaining ground either, but it's difficult to compare, as drivers may not have been as committed. Was chasing one Celica GT-4 ST205 that was pushing hard but making up no ground. Sadly, he went wide on the long back chicane and then suddenly lost the back end right in front of me, before crossing my path and hitting the armco on the other side. The foam absorbed the impact and the kitty litter stopped it. I watched it bounce up in the air as it hit the foam. Real shame, that..Sad Sad Sad Felt really sorry for the guy. I kinda wanted to stop and see if he was okay, but the marshalls wouldn't have approved. I didn't see him or the car again, though I know he was alright as he was standing behind the armco on the next lap.

The way the AE86's engine would just rev and rev with power just building more and more up to the red line was inspiring. I'd change up at 9,000 rpm and this meant on the back straight I'd only just need 4th gear, whereas on the shorter front straight I'd reach the braking area at 9,000 in 3rd before heeling and toeing down and braking hard, accompanied by squirming and smoke off the rear tyres as I entered the top corner.

I was pleased the oil cooler, radiator and ducting I've made. It worked well - oil temp briefly hit 120 degrees after 6 hard laps, upon which I'd give it one cool down lap before going hard again.

The TRD bushes on the suspension seem to have made a difference. The car feels tight, although very raw too, also aided by the TRD 2 way differential. Will need to drop the front a bit more to aid front end grip next time and perhaps go for some semi slicks. It's got a slightly noisy pilot bearing in the differential, so that's to be changed on Monday.

I've almost finished it now. This weekend I'll probably refit the interior, as it's too noisy for road use without it. Plus it only weighs around 15kg so the saving's very little, really. Got 2 red Bride seats to go into it too, plus a new carbon bonnet from J-Blood and a few more goodies. DCD's going to be picking it up and having it for a few days, to do his magic and give his verdict, so no doubt you'll see this car in J-Tuner as well as his blog shortly.

He'll need ear plugs for the 2 hour trip home in it though! Big Grin Big Grin

I love this car. It's more fun than the RX-7 as it's even more challenging to drive. Never thought I'd say that! Roll on the next track day. Here's some pics of what it's looking like at the moment. I intend to make this Hatch Rokku into my ideal old skool car.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Newera Imports AE86 Project...ba, Japan.]

VISIT OUR NEW WEBSITES!!!!
A Tuner's Paradise
Automotive Art On Film
Dedication To Automotive Perfection

Japan Office Tel - (Calls charged at UK National Rate): 0207-193-3979.
Mobile (Japan): +81- (0) 90-4133-3825 Fax (Japan): +81-(0) 47-307-4678
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Cool write-up Miquel! sounds like you had a whole lot of fun.
Do you organise trackdays yourself? I am in Tokio from februari through may, would love to come and have a look.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
11-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Cheers! It costs a heap of money to rent a track such as Tsukuba!
I go with tuning companies when they do a track day for their customers.
This time it was with my local tuning shop and friends - Nishiki.
Next time, I hope to go with Techno Pro Spirits... They have a track day on Wednesday at Nikko circuit, but that's far and the circuit's really small, so I may give that one a miss...

Definitely want to go on a track day with a bunch of AE86's prepared by them though Smile Smile Thumbs up!

There's another track day with Nishiki in April sometime. Will be there!

A Tuner's Paradise
Automotive Art On Film

11-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Miguel, I'm speachels. Respect!

Your car is very inspireing to me and I truly admire you.
Real ae86 enthusiast. Thumbs up!

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
11-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Great stuff! Thumbs up!

Do you drive w/ this car everyday? sounds "a bit" mean for daily driving..
11-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Thanks. Glad you like it. Smile

Yup, I built this car with plans to use every day, partly because my RX-7 (FD3S, not my neighbour's FC3S in the background!) just became too extreme and thirsty to use daily in the end... and driving my wife's Pajero 3.2 Turbo Diesel Auto is too boring, so the AE86 is to fill a gap since I sold my S2000.

Despite the 304 Degree camshafts, as a result of the quality mapping on the Freedom ECU, it idles at between 1,000 and 1,100 rpm, which makes it easy to live with and it has enough power for use at lower engine speeds too. It doesn't make any serious power until around 5,000 rpm, then all hell breaks loose! Still, here in Japan there's plenty of places to wind it up to 9,000 and the roads are wide enough to drift in when they're empty.

I kept the A/C and power steering, to help keep it livable with, especially with 40 degrees and humidity in the Japanese summers, as otherwise it would be useless 3 months of the year.

I've only just finished the mechanical work (Got to fit some dinky K&N filters to the throttle bodies, to protect the engine but that will only take 20 mins), now got a little more interior work to do, then it'll be all ready for daily commuting. Going to work will be more fun than ever Smile

A Tuner's Paradise
Automotive Art On Film

11-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Miguel,

your car is now officially 'the one'

Reading about your exploits is enough to make me cry - I am missing my hachi so much right now. I must get back on the blower to BenR and get my engine build started.

Regards Ian.
11-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Sounds like the guys at Techno Pro Spirits did their job great. Glad to hear you sold your s2000 for a hachi. Thats the only car i'd sell an s2000 for; if i ever had one. Undecided

well the best of luck w/ your car, hope this hachi will not meet the same doom as big yins..
11-25-2005, 03:54 PM
What a writeup! Thumbs up!

And my god what a hachi! Respect! Respect!
I just love that two-tone, got damn it's nice!

We demand more pictures and videoclips! Smile

11-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Ian.G Wrote:Miguel,

your car is now officially 'the one'

Reading about your exploits is enough to make me cry - I am missing my hachi so much right now. I must get back on the blower to BenR and get my engine build started.

Thanks for the compliments again guys, nice to know the car's admired!

Ian, what's happened to your AE86? Did the engine blow?
If you need help in getting parts for your rebuild, we can source anything you need at low prices. I have the full list of bits that went into making mine, so sending the same again wouldn't be hard.

Assembly quality and head porting and valve cutting work is important too - though I guess BenR's the best man for the job in the UK, as far as 4AGE's are concerned.

Cheer up! Whenever anything breaks, it's a chance to make it much, much better. Trust me, making a race engine is worth it Thumbs up! Thumbs up! !

A Tuner's Paradise
Automotive Art On Film

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JCCA Show 2012, Tokyo, Japan... chrisd1 4 6,842 07-15-2012 11:27 AM
Last Post: robokill
  8/6 Day Fuji Speedway Japan - PHOTOS! chrisd1 4 7,590 09-10-2011 08:42 AM
Last Post: Petros AE86
  Trackday with my hatchi in makkuro 2 4,647 07-25-2011 09:52 PM
Last Post: makkuro
  trackday grip with my 86: some fun battle makkuro 6 9,124 02-07-2011 10:20 PM
Last Post: makkuro