Newb question on "how-to" guide for ITBs on JDM 4AG Bluetop w/ MAP
02-08-2020, 11:31 AM
(02-07-2020 02:36 PM)Project D Wrote:  
(02-07-2020 01:37 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  Do you really need all that?

I was under the impression that a MAP ECU could run ITB's without much hassle? Get a set of complete blacktop 20V itb's and an adaptor.
One of my friend tried that, almost blew his engine up...

(02-07-2020 01:37 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  At least, that was the plan i have for my MAP 4A-GE, as the stock engine runs on MAP and TPS and the 20V does the same.
The stock 16v run on MAP alone. TPS is used only for idle (switch) and transient (TPS %/time)
The blacktop use mostly the TPS to run. The MAP sensor act as a correction factor.

(02-07-2020 01:37 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  But maybe i'm wrong about this, don't know for sure. Most info out there is on MAF engines, and those are a different game i think?
No 4A-GE run on MAF (hot wire). Silvertop and some 16v run with an AFM (flap)
MAF and AFM are totally different on both behavior and output.
But they essentially do the same thing, mesure directly the amount of air ingested by the engine.
So they don't care about what's behind them (Single TB or ITB).
But even on AFM, the TPS is used for transient (when you smash the throttle), and a single TB with a plenum act wildly different than ITB in those conditions.

I stand corrected... Big Grin

I meant afm indeed, but typed it wrong. But I was wrong all together.

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
Find all posts by this user
02-10-2020, 02:29 PM
(02-07-2020 06:33 PM)mister86 Wrote:  I really don’t have a budget, and can do anything.
I just wanted a clean build with high quality parts, hence the Toda injection kit.
I am rebuilding my motor right now, but am not upgrading cams, mild port job, headers, exhaust, things like that.

I don't want to be rude, but if you want a clean build maybe start where it matter the most. Unless it's just for bragging right at car meets.

You must have a budget, unless your daily drive is a Bugatti and $10000 is pocket change for you.

Just the rebuild alone can be pretty expensive. (gaskets, seals, bearings, surfacing the head and the block, valve job, etc...)
And while it's open you might as well start on the internals.
For the major parts I would say oil pump, cams, pistons and ECU + injectors to make it run properly.
Then header and exhaust (mind you the header itself is not a big restriction)
And finally ITB if your budget still allow it.
02-10-2020, 06:39 PM
(02-10-2020 02:29 PM)Project D Wrote:  I don't want to be rude, but if you want a clean build maybe start where it matter the most. Unless it's just for bragging right at car meets.

You must have a budget, unless your daily drive is a Bugatti and $10000 is pocket change for you.

I agree and would go even further. If there's no budget, pay for the services of someone who is already a professional engine builder and let them go nuts with the engine.
Also, if you don't already know what you're doing with ITBs then you won't gain much over the popular carburettor setups, perhaps consider that.

I admit that its been a long time since I was involved with any tuning. But the last time I knew someone go with ITBs and a standalone ECU, they had to spend a lot of time and money on a rolling road to get everything set up correctly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about 4AG 20v Engine Block CHACAMAN 1 1,242 06-10-2022 05:17 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  AFM to Map Conversion ps13michi 3 2,296 01-06-2022 10:34 AM
Last Post: ps13michi
  Bluetop Engine Rebuild multiple question Goal 150-160hp Hanzo 16 7,477 04-19-2021 10:08 PM
Last Post: Hanzo
  Toda timing info - with good general 4AG timing info too oldeskewltoy 0 3,954 11-05-2016 01:34 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Bluetop on turbo leon205gti 7 7,268 09-20-2016 09:17 PM
Last Post: leon205gti