New bits for hachi
11-11-2004, 08:32 PM
New bits for hachi
As I'm sure most of you know my hachi was modified to hell when it left the motherland.

One of the areas of weakness on the car was the gear shift. Its the standard long throw toyota item with very warn bushes. Whilst the gearbox was rebuilt the throw and sloppyness of the shifter dont do it justice.

Today I've placed an order with Gabriel at T3 for a few new bits Hurray!

T3 Short shifter with delrin bushing.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - New bits for hachi]

My car also came with a cat pipe which I'm sure is robbing the car of power as the system reduces in diameter where the cat is. So - a new T3 'test pipe' will sort all that out.

A question you guys may be able to answer - in my cat pipe there is some probe/sensor after the cat. Any ideas what this is for ? the o2 sensor is in the exhaust headers so its not that.

I also ordered a a front tow hook as I'm sure it will end up in the gravel at some point LOL

And to round off the new shifter I also won a new TRD gearknob (what a tart) on UK ebay for a fraction of the price of ordering Smile

would have preferred a duracon one but you cant be chosey when stuff is cheap.

Will let you know how the shifter feels when it arrives early next week.

Regards Ian.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2004, 08:55 PM
New bits for hachi
A question you guys may be able to answer - in my cat pipe there is some probe/sensor after the cat. Any ideas what this is for ? the o2 sensor is in the exhaust headers so its not that.

That is a temperature sensor of some sort to get the temperature of the cat I think. A lot of JDM cars have that. it has something to do with the little cat light that you should have on the dash. Try running it without the probe and see if it is OK, if not have a hole made in your de-cat to screw it into(I doubt it would work tough as you are running a freedom ECU) Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
11-11-2004, 09:11 PM
New bits for hachi
Cheers rikard

I figured this just may be part of the std factory stuff.

I am hoping the freedom loom does not take a feed from this - I doubt that it does.

When the pipe comes I'll see what happens.

My ECU may currently be sat in some sort of failsafe mode to. There appears to be an enforced rev limit of 8K at the moment and it used to pull straight off the clock - weird. I still need to contact moto-p and see if I can switch the ecu to another map and stick it in learn mode (hopefully without having a laptop)

Regards Ian.
11-11-2004, 09:15 PM
New bits for hachi
Ian.G Wrote:Cheers rikard

I figured this just may be part of the std factory stuff.

I am hoping the freedom loom does not take a feed from this - I doubt that it does.

When the pipe comes I'll see what happens.

My ECU may currently be sat in some sort of failsafe mode to. There appears to be an enforced rev limit of 8K at the moment and it used to pull straight off the clock - weird.

Thats strange, does any check engine light come on? Have you tried disconecting the battery for a while and then check it again after?
I am thinking about geting a freedom ECU as well, my contact in Japan is looking into it for me. Have you got the software for it? I might see what he can do regarding the software as well.
11-11-2004, 09:26 PM
New bits for hachi
I've contacted Freedom direct as I was interested in helping them port the software to english. Right now it is only available in japanese Sad

I am a software developer so I roughly know what would be required to port but they dont seem interested in my helping them. I got a very short reply of 'japanese only' and that was it. I've tried again and not heard back from them which is a shame. I think there is a market for Freedom outside of japan - seems like a good ECU.

I don't have the interface cable either which is a shame Sad

If you do go with one it would be useful to get an extra software disk and interface cable and I will buy them from you.

Regards Ian.
11-11-2004, 09:32 PM
New bits for hachi
Ian.G Wrote:I've contacted Freedom direct as I was interested in helping them port the software to english. Right now it is only available in japanese Sad

I am a software developer so I roughly know what would be required to port but they dont seem interested in my helping them. I got a very short reply of 'japanese only' and that was it. I've tried again and not heard back from them which is a shame. I think there is a market for Freedom outside of japan - seems like a good ECU.

I don't have the interface cable either which is a shame Sad

If you do go with one it would be useful to get an extra software disk and interface cable and I will buy them from you.
I will try with my contact in Japan. What about the guy from Club 4age that uses a freedom ECU, maybe he can get you a copy of the softwear? Confused
11-11-2004, 09:33 PM
New bits for hachi
Ian - great stuff.

but a question.... why pay lots of money on a shortshifter.. when it´ll cost you perhaps 5 punds making one yourself

I´m sorry sir, your planet has been sceduled for destruction
in favor of an intergalactic highway -Thank you

Kristian Hesselmark, Sweden
EVO-DRIFT-STREET-DRAG-SHOW
11-11-2004, 09:37 PM
New bits for hachi
Sorry but with all these shortcomings i would never go for a freedom ecu. And seeing the kind of customer service they offer why bother? Sure its a good ecu, but there are plenty of others out there that offer the same functionability at a similar price.
I understand that its different when you bought the car with it already installed, but it must be irritating to get a error code and not be able to understand it.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
11-11-2004, 09:42 PM
New bits for hachi
From what I read from moto-p this freedom ecu is a very good one but the problem is, nobody in that company speaks english! Thats probably why you get the japanese only answer, they have no idea what you are sayingSmile

But thats just my guessSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
11-11-2004, 09:43 PM
New bits for hachi
NoHachi Wrote:Sorry but with all these shortcomings i would never go for a freedom ecu. And seeing the kind of customer service they offer why bother? Sure its a good ecu, but there are plenty of others out there that offer the same functionability at a similar price.
I understand that its different when you bought the car with it already installed, but it must be irritating to get a error code and not be able to understand it.
The freedom is actually a very good ecu and you are able to have 4 different maps on it. The basic mapping principle will be the same as other mapable ECU's and it is a direct plug in for the AE 86. You know any other direct replacment ECU's that are mapable for the AE86?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My new daily driver...a kind of grown up hachi. Ian.G 27 20,419 08-27-2005 07:44 PM
Last Post: mi16chris
  new hachi vid...:D adomz 22 16,911 04-08-2005 10:47 AM
Last Post: adomz