New bits for hachi
11-11-2004, 10:33 PM
New bits for hachi
Every other ecu is mapable for the AE86. I'm not questioning the freedom ecu's capability, but what would you think if I handed you a book, stating that it really is rather good, but its all in Japanese...
You wouldn't be able to understand it so, to you at least, its useless untill you either find a translation or translator.

Any ECU out there will auto map the engine for you. Hook up a AEM ecu to a wideband lambda and EGT probe and you will have a lot more reliable auto tune as a bonus. Autotuning by the std narrow band is a no- no in performance applications.

AEM has a couple kits out there including wiring looms and base maps. Worth checking out...the software is user friendly and in English as well.

Of course no affiliation etc etc etc

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
11-11-2004, 10:47 PM
New bits for hachi
Not off the top of my head

all they would need is looms and sensors (crank pos etc.) and I guess

I will have a speak to steve simpons - one of the best gems mappers in the uk - hes been as far as austrailia to map cars so he knows what he is doing.

There is also the likes of megasqurit too but I don't know much about that.

Motec, Emerald, DTA, Possum Link, Pectel etc will all work if you can get a loom and sensors.

Regards Ian.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - New bits for hachi]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2004, 11:31 PM
New bits for hachi
KristianAE86, I know I could m8. We did the short shift weld and chop on my brothers old GT4. It was great but it actually broke (probably because we couldn't weld too good then) Sure a hachi one would be fine. I guess because my bushes are in bad shape I would need to buy them too - don't know the cost of those. I am lazy sometimes LOL.

Doh - some replies whilst I was replying. I am quite seriously thinking about getting somebody who speaks japanese to talk to Freedom for me - I think if UK software was available and their market grew and I had a % of profits.... Wink

I would love to get steve to map the car for me when I eventually get the carbon fibre trumpets and cold air box sorted next year.

I really need some spare wheels quick. Missed out on a set of supra 14" refurbed and polished with new yokos for £220 a few weeks ago Sad - but I don't know if they would clear my brakes and bigger disks ?

Regards Ian.
11-11-2004, 11:50 PM
New bits for hachi
NoHachi Wrote:Every other ecu is mapable for the AE86. I'm not questioning the freedom ecu's capability, but what would you think if I handed you a book, stating that it really is rather good, but its all in Japanese...
You wouldn't be able to understand it so, to you at least, its useless untill you either find a translation or translator.

Any ECU out there will auto map the engine for you. Hook up a AEM ecu to a wideband lambda and EGT probe and you will have a lot more reliable auto tune as a bonus. Autotuning by the std narrow band is a no- no in performance applications.

AEM has a couple kits out there including wiring looms and base maps. Worth checking out...the software is user friendly and in English as well.

Of course no affiliation etc etc etc
Thats right, but with the freedom ECU you can use the exisitng wiring and sensors. No need for any additional wiring. Big Grin except for a wide band lambda offcourse.
I know the Japanees is a problem but the basic way of mapping the freedom ECU should be the same as others and considering where I work getting someone to translate it should not be a problem. Smile Smile
by the way aren't AEM ecu's made by Gems?
11-12-2004, 12:00 AM
New bits for hachi
Ian.G Wrote:KristianAE86, I know I could m8. We did the short shift weld and chop on my brothers old GT4. It was great but it actually broke (probably because we couldn't weld too good then) Sure a hachi one would be fine. I guess because my bushes are in bad shape I would need to buy them too - don't know the cost of those. I am lazy sometimes LOL.

Doh - some replies whilst I was replying. I am quite seriously thinking about getting somebody who speaks japanese to talk to Freedom for me - I think if UK software was available and their market grew and I had a % of profits.... Wink

I would love to get steve to map the car for me when I eventually get the carbon fibre trumpets and cold air box sorted next year.

I really need some spare wheels quick. Missed out on a set of supra 14" refurbed and polished with new yokos for £220 a few weeks ago Sad - but I don't know if they would clear my brakes and bigger disks ?
I requested on of my coleagues in Japan to get some more info from freedom, he should have some more info for me by next week. Big Grin
11-12-2004, 12:04 AM
New bits for hachi
This is great news ! Thumbs up!

Regards Ian.
11-12-2004, 11:14 AM
New bits for hachi
Rikard I know that you probably could get someone to translate it for you. But that someone has to be there everytime something goes wrong...why bother? Because Moto has one?

As I said, if the AEM (which is indeed made by gems) comes with a wiring loom (not sure for the AE86), then installation is a matter of hours. If it doesn't come with a loom, then you could build one yourself, which is quite a hassle...you don't need new sensors though, unlike you do with some ECU's (eg. DTA).

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
11-12-2004, 06:51 PM
New bits for hachi
Looks are just as important as funktion. If it looks good it will probably work just as good too and offer decent durability.

I can't really see the tow hook or de-cat pipe. But the shortshift ...
It's a small picture, but from what I can tell, I like it! I have no idea what T3 or a delrin (?) bushing is but the metalwork on that thing ...
Someone put in rich time to design and machine that base. And the bend on the stick? Sweet!
You can't get machining like that for five bucks unless you have a shop of Your own or have a friend that has. Looks solid from here!
I'd definitetly leave it fully exposed if I were You and have it installed using some nice 'n shiny allen screws instead of the bolts. No shift boot.

Thumbs up!
11-12-2004, 08:38 PM
New bits for hachi
Yes - I am a parts tart but always have been.

for me maintaining and changing a car to my spec is almost as much fun as the driving. This is a problem I've had will all of my previous cars LOL.

I hope to get rid of the centre console completely at some point so the open shifter with no gators will be nice. I just need to figure out the 'big picture' I dont wanna do too much at once. And who is to say I won't smash the car to pieces on a track at some point soon - you just never know (but I hope not).

T3 is Techno Toy Tuning. They are an american company who fabricate components for especially for hachi. I hear nothing but good words about their products from others on club4ag and here too.

I could have done my cat pipe cheap too by just taking an angle grinder to the existing pipe to get the flanges and just weld up a new pipe - problem is until I know for sure this probe isn't being used I don't want to trash the cat.

Delrin is just a toughened textile that was designed by dupont I think.

Its just a bushing that is more resistent to wear than the standard item. This should just keep the shift slicker for a bit longer - or that is my hope.

I can actually get parts fabricated as one of my friends has his own engineering company (he makes block liners direct for ford - and also has done some work direct for the Audi RS engines too). One off parts are expensive from him because of the quality which is a shame. He made an entire chain tensioner system for my old Hayabusa powered westfield - it was a work of art but cost a packet. Crying

Regards Ian.
11-12-2004, 09:05 PM
New bits for hachi
Sounds like You got a hard rocking beast brewing. Me like!
Thanks for explaining Delrin, and for the link to T3 of course!
A sudden urge to check'em out fell upon me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My new daily driver...a kind of grown up hachi. Ian.G 27 20,545 08-27-2005 07:44 PM
Last Post: mi16chris
  new hachi vid...:D adomz 22 16,987 04-08-2005 10:47 AM
Last Post: adomz