New AE86 RUMOR! (FT-86 concept)
07-15-2009, 03:56 PM
NoHachi Wrote:
banpei Wrote:This is another rendering:
I can only hope that mazda executives smoke some mushrooms and decide to produce an RX7 based on the miata chassis but lighter because of the inherently stiffer coupe shape. That would be around 1050kg so the current 170hp Duratec would be enough.

Truth is that only BMW and Mazda to the trick nowadays, and since the german cars are expensive with 2,5 lt+++ engines, that leaves only Mazuda.

So, a couple of years ago, the American designer of Kabura was certain and positive that the mx5 based coupe will see production...

And it was a damn nice car and a low cost for mazuda to build, since everything could be taken from an existing car.

Yet, at Paris this year, mazuda technical manager was very parsimonious with words, yet almost clear its not time for sports cars... No Kabura, no RX7, no MS turboed engines, that is.

We ll see...

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - New AE86 RUMOR! (FT-86 concept)] http://www.jdmbits.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-15-2009, 05:54 PM
imho the perfect way would be the red car which is very similar in design to the 9th gen. corolla but lower, has some harder edges, more aggressive and more sporty. this happened with the original ae86 + ee80
put in a 3s-ge and fr drivetrain. done Smile

compare these:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - New AE86 RUMOR! (FT-86 concept)]
-
-
-
-
07-16-2009, 12:56 AM
huh, we already sailed into the 1300kg range.. I thought the aim was to keep it cheap and fun. Having an 1.3 tone ass will exclude either cheap-ness or fun-ness (or both).

Come to think about it some more, it would be better to keep the power to weight ratio similar to the old 86. One of the greatest attributes of our beloved cars is probably the balance of power-weight-suspension geometry. The car is the fastest on the "border", or perhaps even a bit over. To keep it there you really need to give it hell with gas and smart weight shifting (enter all of the "car that trains the driver" stories). So 1100 kg would suit maybe 160 hp. If the engine is torquey&perky like the lovely "rasure kato" 4age it would provide a similar experience. And also this way it really can be a cheap car.
Find all posts by this user
07-16-2009, 09:08 AM
They could make their lifes easier. Start reproducing the AE86 again. Dont change a thing. I'd buy one!

My Hachi Roku
07-16-2009, 09:13 AM
i don't think we would get a cheap "new" AE86
actually, cheap cars don't have rwd and power... they come with 1.2 8V 60bhp, ~1000kg and cost €9000+
if there will ever be a new AE86, i'm sure it will nearly hit the €30k mark
07-16-2009, 09:34 AM
True words aussiefan.

To come cheap it should equate the yaris, ordinary engine (1,5vvti) use much existing parts as rear axle and dif from subaru, modifying the platform from some kei van with rwd and done. But it will be still expensiver as yaris because of lack on common parts that must be new developed.

And if i hear some dreaming here about subaru platforms and 200+ hp i laugh only. If this is true then stay be prepared for one expensive car in the subaru wrx range, nithing wrong here, technology is not cheap. But then be sure we are glad it weights only 1300kg, and if it includes subaru platform either the legacy or impreza then the RWD is absolutely no advantage because of weight distribution.

In fact for me i have found modern hachiroku, well it has another shape, proportions,drives the wrong wheels(but what is here wrong)
but similar charactered engine and is very fun to drive for an modern cheap car. how many from us can drive the ae86 to max. with the swift you can, it has neutral handling, the rear slides slightly on fast curves it is like the small brother of the dc2.
Still i am deciding if i buy it or not. because we need space, everyone needs SPACE in these days, because of this cars are heavy and big. Looks at the new auris, it has 91kw well done engine with wide torque band i think but its tragic, it weights around 1500kg.

Laught or not for me the best toyota now is the new Prius, 1A car, i would buy it if i had money(and if i needed a car to daily commuting). And i hope the hybride technologies improve and will be more common, its the way to go. I can still have some real ae86 as historic car in the garage for those special days.

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
07-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Its not gonna be cheap guys.
The 86 itself wasnt cheap back then.

As I said, the RX8 192 PS is todays 86...

And the 2litre Turbo Huyndai Genesis coupe if it comes to Europe and is indeed under 30k euro.

07-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Most of what everyone is asking is already bein built by mazda in the form of the MX5..

Quote:1100 kg would suit maybe 160 hp.
170 is close enough

Quote:balance of power-weight-suspension geometry
It will hang with Elises and Stooks if driven on the ragged edge by a capable driver.. mostly because you can stuff HUGE tires under them unmodified.

Quote:nearly hit the €30k mark
23k after huge Dutch taxes..

So..a car that is as nice to drive as the hachi (actually it drives a lot better) is being built right now at a very reasonable price and weight. But still everyone is complaining instead of supporting the one manufacturer that has the balls and vision to devellop cars that fit our dreams (lightweight, RWD, perky). I can imagine the comments that will follow: not manly enough, don't like convertibles, need a rear seat for the one time a month that I have a passenger..
That kind of harshness would have killed the original AE86 instantly.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
07-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Nohachi>>

i and most of us agree with you. the mx5 is great.
but im sad because the car promoted as the "successor of the ae86" wont have the guts to become the real successor.
and i cant imagine that the 86 community becomes mx5 community in the future when there will be no more 86.
07-16-2009, 11:26 AM
NoHachi Wrote:Most of what everyone is asking is already bein built by mazda in the form of the MX5..

Quote:1100 kg would suit maybe 160 hp.
170 is close enough

Quote:balance of power-weight-suspension geometry
It will hang with Elises and Stooks if driven on the ragged edge by a capable driver.. mostly because you can stuff HUGE tires under them unmodified.

Quote:nearly hit the €30k mark
23k after huge Dutch taxes..

So..a car that is as nice to drive as the hachi (actually it drives a lot better) is being built right now at a very reasonable price and weight. But still everyone is complaining instead of supporting the one manufacturer that has the balls and vision to devellop cars that fit our dreams (lightweight, RWD, perky). I can imagine the comments that will follow: not manly enough, don't like convertibles, need a rear seat for the one time a month that I have a passenger..
That kind of harshness would have killed the original AE86 instantly.

Amen!

And the RC is even better.