NZ AE85 - soon to be BEAMS powered
02-01-2011, 03:43 AM
nice man.... have you had any idle problems with the pod filter?

clutch kick, switch, tree .... oowwww
Find all posts by this user
02-01-2011, 04:22 AM
Luckily, we haven't had any idle problems resulting from the removal of the stock Altezza airbox.

I was anticipating this, and originally looked at an Apexi Power Intake kit (which includes the intake pipe) to fix this, but at close to $400, I decided to try a cheapo $50 intake pipe that I found online. Luckily, this has worked a treat.

I'm having issues with the brakes however. The brake set up is as follows:

Front: FC3S 4 pot calipers with Nissan Cefiro discs
Rear - S13 K's disc brakes and calipers

The brake lines have been blead thoroughly, but I still have barely any brake feel. We're still running the stock AE85 brake master cylinder. Could this be the issue? I know there are a few other people that are running FC3S brakes. Did you have to upgrade the brake master cylinder?
02-01-2011, 11:28 AM
yeah id say you dont have enough thrust....

the r32 bmc is what i and a few other here run... bolts up and works a treat. you can run abs or non abs version, just changes the way you tube it up.

02-01-2011, 03:48 PM
1. Envy Envy Envy! I love that beast in your engine bay! I wish I could run the same

2. Probably your MC is a bit to small for that setup. After swapping the RX7 brakes on my AE I had to change the standard master cylinder for a Landcruiser one.

http://monkeymagic86.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2011, 07:44 PM
I too have the RX7 FC conversion, and Corolla E12 calipers at the back, but i didnt even try to use the OEM MC (it was shot anyways) so i opted to go with a Supra MK3 one. Its perfect. And not that expensive brand new from ebay...

AE86 GT - SR20DET BlackTop //// Trackday beater
Citroen C4 Coupe VTR - 1.6HDi //// Streetcar
02-02-2011, 05:32 AM
Cheers guys.

I've got an R32 GTS-T one on order Thumbs up!
03-05-2011, 01:26 AM
Do you have any more pictures of the engine mounts?

Thanks.
03-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Finally got my car back from the workshop yesterday. It's still not certified, and therefore not street legal - but I couldn't contain myself and took it for a quick drive last night. Finally got to feel the performance of the BEAMS + AE combination!

I'm really glad I ditched the SR20DET idea and decided to go with the BEAMS. The power is more than enough, and very impressive for an NA engine. The high end pull in 2nd and 3rd gear was simply awesome (couldn’t go higher since I was driving very near my house). The engine sounds amazing also (Apexi intake, extractors and 2.5 inch exhaust - cat converter fitted at this stage for certification reasons).

I'll make sure I remember to the take my video camera with me for the next run, so I can post a vid.

There is an issue I'm having with low end torque however. I'm keen to hear from other BEAMS owners on this, but mine was noticeably lacking in low end torque. Given these engines are designed for the 1,350kg+ Altezza, I'm certain that this low end issue I'm having is not a natural characteristic of the engine. I've read that removing the stock airbox on Altezzas has this effect, so this could be the issue - but I'll look into this issue further when the car is legally back on the road.

In saying that, this just made the scream that occurs at high revs that much sweeter! I'm surprised by the noticeable cam switch over at high revs. From what I've read, the continuously variable cam timing is supposed to be not noticeable on the beams (unlike the on/off Vtec), but I can certainly feel a distinct switch over on mine - and I love it!
03-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Have you wired up every sensor? The CA18DET in our trueno pulls timing when it doesnt detect the knock sensor for example.. this really hurts low end performance.
Suggest you check for error codes (if there are any, fix as many as possible). I very much doubt an airbox makes that much of a difference at the low end.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
03-28-2011, 07:03 AM
there is def something wrong. the vvti may be fooling around silly buggers. these engines are known for beeing VERY torquey.....

mine pulled REALLY strong from about 2.5 while sliding... Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ae86 racecar with beams engine bakonick 145 151,796 07-02-2022 06:37 PM
Last Post: bakonick
  Ae85 Minidaxman 4 2,923 04-20-2021 09:57 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Krullibulls Ae86 BEAMS is the only way krullibull 86 81,211 05-07-2019 09:35 PM
  Aram's 3SGE Beams Levin Coupe robokill 665 683,824 09-03-2017 09:24 PM
  AE86 GTV-Multipoint Cage, Beams, AP Brakes & Brides Conrad 462 575,911 06-27-2017 12:21 PM
Last Post: DJexor