NZ AE85 - soon to be BEAMS powered
10-09-2010, 06:32 AM
I've always enjoyed viewing other people's build threads, so I thought I'd give back and share my own. A bit of history on myself and the car first:

My first project was an S14 Silvia powered by a NEO RB25DET. It was a fun build, and made 250rwkw. Here's a video of it in action-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh-mUv4dDOw

I decided to sell the S14 a few years ago and go with something more practical for daily driving, so I bought a 2001 C-Class Mercedes-Benz. I fitted some 19s and a sound system, and used this for daily duties for a year or two. I got bored of the low-powered auto, and decided it was time for another performance car. So I sold the Merc, and went on the lookout for a Nissan 350Z through Japan. It was taking a while to find a suitable 350Z, and I needed a daily driver in the meantime. I always had a soft spot for the AE86, so I decided to buy an AE85 as a cheap daily driver while looking for a suitable 350z.

I came accross a 1984 Toyota Trueno AE85 that had just had a strip down, rust removal and respray. It was stock standard, and came with some tidy 15x7 Japanese wheels. I paid more for it than I had budgeted for, but when I went to view the car, I fell in love with it and handed over the cash - with the usual inflated pricing that these cars go for.

The more I drove the car around, the more I fell in love with it. Soon, I really didn't give a crap about buying a 350Z, so I scrapped this idea, and started building the AE85.

Here it is with the 15X7s it came on. That's my cousin Oz, who came over to check out the new wheels.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - NZ AE85 - soon to be BEAMS powered]

The 15x7s weren't going to cut it, so I bought these NZ made Arrow 3 piece wheels. 15x10 0 offset in the rear, and 15x8 -10 offset in the front.

This is what it looked like with the new wheels and CBY flares. Stock ride height was a disgrace, I know! I was considering doing an S13 front coilover and 4 pot Nissan brakes conversion at the time, and was collecting the parts in the meantime.

Fitted a Sabelt wheel, removed the stock seats, fitted Bride Low Max seats and removed boot trim to prepare it for a half-cage install

I bought a full Vertex body kit initially. I decided that I much preffered the look of the stock bumper + front lip, so I sold the Vertex front bumper. I also sold the Vertex side skirts and replaced them with Origin items. I also managed to get my hands on a genuine TRD spoiler. Here are some pics checking the kit for fitment, before removing them and preparing them for paint.

I decided to ditch the S13 suspension idea, and bought some BC coilovers. I'll fit FC3S breaks soon.

The result-

Aaaah, much better. Still needs to go lower, but handles great, is really comfortable and clears most speed bumps and driveways, so I'm leaving it like this for now.

The kit is currently off the car and getting painted. I'll hopefully post the finished result on Monday.
Find all posts by this user
10-09-2010, 06:44 AM
I've been round in circles trying to decide which engine set up to run with. I initially bought this-

I had an S14 manual gearbox and ballbearing T28 to with it. However, I couldn't bring my self both to fit a none-Toyota motor, or fit a turbo motor. To me, this ruins the appeal of the Hachi.

So, I sold the SR20DET running gear, and had my eye on a full AE86 4AGE conversation that I found for sale. I almost bought this, then realised that for the power I was looking for, a BEAMS engine would be more ideal. It's the best compromise to a high powered 4AGE in my opinion. 210hp standard - I'd need a 10K budget to get that sort of power out of a 4AGE! Still a Toyota 4 cylinder engine, that sounds just as good as a 4AGE once ITB'd. So, I went ahead and bought this-

I've already dropped off my BEAMS conversion to the fabricator, where it will hopefully be fitted in a few weeks. It also came with an Ogura twin plate clutch and lightened flywheel, and some nice extractors. Can't wait to have it fitted!
10-09-2010, 07:12 AM
hey man....

congrats on a great engine choice.

if you get stuck on any issues let me know, me and a freind both completed this swap ourselves a few years back....weell he finished his and i broke mine Smile

what adaptor are you using for quads?

sticking with 6 speed?

clutch kick, switch, tree .... oowwww
10-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Well, to be honest I'm trying to avoid going with quads at this stage, to keep initial costs down. I'm aware that most guys run quads from the get-go to overcome the brake booster/plenum issue. Where you or your friend able to retain the stock plenum?

My fabricator said he'd be able to make it fit, so fingers crossed I won't be forced to go down the quads+programmable ECU route right away. I'd love to do this later, but trying to keep the initial costs of the conversion under control.

Input on this issue would be great.

And yep, sticking with the 6 speed.
10-11-2010, 03:38 AM
with the gnies back where we ran them , there was NO way the standard plenum would fit.

even with quads the clutch master needs a remote resevoir as the 4th trumpet is RIGHT there lol.

i have about 25 mm clearance from the front of my sump extension to the sway bar. To move the engine forward enough to use the stock plenum, i recon custom sway bar at the best, no sway bar at the least. I believe that is how billzilla got his in. he also got rid of the clucth with the auto, and brake booster with a twin master setup.

there is a world of hurt involved in using the stock computer from what i have heard. you have to include the dash etc etc etc to get it running. its a LOT easier and cheaper, unless you can figure it all out yourself, to get a ecu like the adaptronic and wire it in. And then the costs of quads is again cheap solution to fitment.

There is glens adaptor, which work very well and are well priced, also there is another option coming out of brisbane atm that is cnc not cast, and i believe really competitive on price.

also fraser has a cheapish quads manifold.

Unfortunatley, while the cost is initially higher, it makes fitting the engines a much easier propsect, and that may well save you an awful lot in the long run,.

10-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info mate - much appreciated.

I didn't realise that the standard ECU was cause for a lot of headaches also. I just re-read the AE86 engine conversions write-up over at hachiroku.com.au, and they mentioned this as a cause for concern as well. The ECU issue, and your comments regarding the difficulty of fitting the standard plenum has me thinking that I should perhaps delay the conversion and take a more calculated approach. I may indeed be better off buying the quad throttle body adapter plate from Glenn, source some blacktop ITBs locally here in NZ and either go for an Adaptronic or a Link G4. I've just emailed both Adaptronic in Australia and Glenn over at the hachiroku.com.au forums for quotes.

How are you finding the Adaptronic? In fact, how did you find the BEAMS setup with ITBs and ECU performance wise? Worth the high costs of the conversion? I can't help but think that 240 N/A horsepower (factoring in added power from mods mentioned above) would be great fun in the Hachi...
10-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Also, any links to the adaptor from Brisbane that you mentioned? How much is it?
10-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Hello, nice build man, great so see theres some nice 86's showing up in NZ. If you need help with the beams/quad/ECU problems, joining oldschool.co.nz may be a good idea, theres a few guys running similar set ups in 86's/starlets on there, they are pretty helpfull/switched on.
10-12-2010, 12:57 PM
most guys are getting a honest 135 to 140 rwkw.

its a bit embaressing..... but mine litterally got killed the day i got it started, so havnt got to drive it lol. its in my build log i think.

Brad, the fella who did his at the same time i did mine, with almost identical everything lol, as far as i know, rates his very highly.

He came out of a 200rwkw ca18 hachi that was a nice bit of work. But with this, his biggest benefit has been that nothing breaks. He drives to track days, plays all day, drives home.

The engine will be fun, but it depends on what you are used to lol. From a 20v to beams, the major step up is the huge gains in torque. And that makes driving a lot more fun.

But if you are used to 300kw open wheelers, it might be a bit of a let down Smile

for the billet hit up ant at kaizin garage on hachiroku.com.au im not sure when he has them going, but when i spoke to him last they were ready to go i think.

10-13-2010, 11:58 AM
NZDMAE86 Wrote:Hello, nice build man, great so see theres some nice 86's showing up in NZ. If you need help with the beams/quad/ECU problems, joining oldschool.co.nz may be a good idea, theres a few guys running similar set ups in 86's/starlets on there, they are pretty helpfull/switched on.

Thanks man. I'll check it out.

fantapants Wrote:most guys are getting a honest 135 to 140 rwkw.

its a bit embaressing..... but mine litterally got killed the day i got it started, so havnt got to drive it lol. its in my build log i think.

Brad, the fella who did his at the same time i did mine, with almost identical everything lol, as far as i know, rates his very highly.

He came out of a 200rwkw ca18 hachi that was a nice bit of work. But with this, his biggest benefit has been that nothing breaks. He drives to track days, plays all day, drives home.

The engine will be fun, but it depends on what you are used to lol. From a 20v to beams, the major step up is the huge gains in torque. And that makes driving a lot more fun.

But if you are used to 300kw open wheelers, it might be a bit of a let down Smile

for the billet hit up ant at kaizin garage on hachiroku.com.au im not sure when he has them going, but when i spoke to him last they were ready to go i think.

Thanks for the info mate - much appreciated. Glenn just posted on another forum that ITB manifolds are still available for $650 AUS including postage to NZ. Will need to factor in a Link G4 as well. All adds up pretty quick! I'm going to drive down to see my fabricator on Friday for a chat about the best way to move ahead with this.

Sad to hear you blew your engine right after you got it running. What happened?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ae86 racecar with beams engine bakonick 145 151,789 07-02-2022 06:37 PM
Last Post: bakonick
  Ae85 Minidaxman 4 2,923 04-20-2021 09:57 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Krullibulls Ae86 BEAMS is the only way krullibull 86 81,208 05-07-2019 09:35 PM
  Aram's 3SGE Beams Levin Coupe robokill 665 683,817 09-03-2017 09:24 PM
  AE86 GTV-Multipoint Cage, Beams, AP Brakes & Brides Conrad 462 575,906 06-27-2017 12:21 PM
Last Post: DJexor