NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
03-18-2018, 03:53 PM
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
I have 2 sets of Atiwes 14x6 too and no use for them anymore if need be.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-19-2018, 07:13 AM
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
Thank you very much for the kind replies. As far as I know, the police could stop me and ask for papers. If not present, they would make me follow them to an inspection facility.

I contacted a Volks distributor, who sells TE37's in Germany for track use. Their answer was it is impossible. There are no papers in Germany, nor in Japan, that would make them legal. I will think about this a bit longer.

Cheers.
04-13-2018, 05:14 PM
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
(03-19-2018 07:13 AM)Hama86 Wrote:  I contacted a Volks distributor, who sells TE37's in Germany for track use. Their answer was it is impossible. There are no papers in Germany, nor in Japan, that would make them legal. I will think about this a bit longer.
Does that mean that Swiss import laws are actually better (albeit expensive) in terms of freedom?

I'm scheduled for May 4th to show up with my Trueno at inspection - hoping that it'll pass all right. Still unsure about gauge that goes to 180km/h, the A3As and the TRD suspension.
Find all posts by this user
06-03-2018, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2018 06:23 PM by Hama86.)
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
(04-13-2018 05:14 PM)decryphe Wrote:  Does that mean that Swiss import laws are actually better (albeit expensive) in terms of freedom?

It may be. Smile Though I have no idea about noise tests in Germany. As for the emission tests, Germany can have exceptional rules for moving goods according to import check lists of TÜV.

Currently I am looking for anything that might ease the process of inspection. May it recommended TÜV offices in Bremerhaven area with experience in AE86/old Toyota's, or be it specification documents (a.k.a. Datenblatt).

(03-18-2018 03:53 PM)Bean Wrote:  I have 2 sets of Atiwes 14x6 too and no use for them anymore if need be.

Would you like to sell me a set? Smile
06-03-2018, 08:14 PM
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
(06-03-2018 06:22 PM)Hama86 Wrote:  
(03-18-2018 03:53 PM)Bean Wrote:  I have 2 sets of Atiwes 14x6 too and no use for them anymore if need be.

Would you like to sell me a set? Smile

Sure, I'll send a PM shortly

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

AE86 ex-daily
08-10-2018, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2018 01:15 PM by Hama86.)
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
Hello folks. Long time no update. Currently I have some legal issues therefore I will tell you about the customs part later, once it is solved entirely.

On the other side I have had a better look at the car. At the time of my purchase in Japan, I couldn't find good specimen. Of course two weeks before my return, totally stock AE86s with low mileage appeared on goonet all over Japan for a reasonable price. Nevertheless I need to restore some things in order for a registration in Germany.

Things to definitely change:
- Air horn (illegal)
- A'pexi Power Intake (registration of this part costs 1000 Euros)
- RSR exhaust (don't even want to hassle with this one)
- TE37 (illegal, but I have Atiwe replacements)
- Nardi Steering Wheel (no KBA, therefore also illegal)
- Xenon HID kit (this is done already)
- nearly all light bulbs and the correct light pattern for the headlights (done)

Things that might need changes:
- Recaro seats (German seats with KBA, but may not have papers for AE86. Carina's are fine Wink)
- KYB suspension (registration is around 200 Euros or trade with Konis or stock)
- Exhaust manifold

I am selling the HID kit and the air horn.
I can trade the Apexi POD against a stock air box.
Once the exhaust is out I will sell it as well.

That's it so far. I did a test drive with the car with some red plates. The car easily runs up to 170km/h. It was raining so I didn't go further. I really need a chime kill switch.
08-10-2018, 09:08 PM
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
I still have a bone stock steering wheel in my attic. It isn't pretty, got it for a decent price and I was planning to restore it but that will probably never happen. So let me know if you're interested. Wink

Chime kill switch isn't difficult to make, but you will have to remove half the dashboard to put the switch in the same position as I did.

But if you don't care that much about the convenience to turn it on and off while driving, I'd recommend to place it somewhere behind the mid console. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - NOT SO Duty Free Trueno]
08-18-2018, 10:20 PM
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
(08-10-2018 11:58 AM)Hama86 Wrote:  That's it so far. I did a test drive with the car with some red plates. The car easily runs up to 170km/h. It was raining so I didn't go further. I really need a chime kill switch.
That's the exact same weather I had when I picked up mine in Bremerhaven. Chime turned out to be rather annoying at 150km/h average speed through Germany.

Currently also in the same boat where I have to replace a couple parts to get the car road legal. Fortunately much less than you do. Good luck with those things!
Find all posts by this user
10-25-2018, 10:51 AM
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
(08-18-2018 10:20 PM)decryphe Wrote:  
(08-10-2018 11:58 AM)Hama86 Wrote:  That's it so far. I did a test drive with the car with some red plates. The car easily runs up to 170km/h. It was raining so I didn't go further. I really need a chime kill switch.
That's the exact same weather I had when I picked up mine in Bremerhaven. Chime turned out to be rather annoying at 150km/h average speed through Germany.

Currently also in the same boat where I have to replace a couple parts to get the car road legal. Fortunately much less than you do. Good luck with those things!
Germany doesn't like old cars. I remember that the government once considered to ban all classics from public roads.

I can give an update on a crucial fact about the import. The plan was to get the car without the import costs. According to the customs website, the first condition (living 1 year abroad) has some small details, that were not mentioned in the website at all. Because it is not enough to stay one year, you have to have a reason to stay longer than that. So my application for duty free import had been rejected.

In the end, I had to pay import. It cannot be helped. At least I was able to do the import procedure with my brother together, without consulting a firm. I could save some money. The tricky part was the weird online tool and finding the correct reference number for importing classic cars.
10-28-2018, 09:34 PM
NOT SO Duty Free Trueno
That sucks!
Which part of the import cost is this? Is it still avoidable if you would import it to a different country first?

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - NOT SO Duty Free Trueno]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ae86 Trueno f20c Built to be driven not polished Martynas 45 51,638 05-29-2020 12:59 PM
Last Post: decryphe