NL: Robert
08-27-2019, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2020 01:52 PM by r.ave.)
Hi Guys,

I'm Robert from Amsterdam.

I've got a past with French cars (106 rallye, xsi and gti (track car), 309 gti (track car) and currently own an old Citroen Saxo Cup (track car) besides my almost stock '99 Impreza GT Turbo.

I've been looking at 86's for years, but have never been serious to actually buy one.
Now I am but I try not to rush things.

This saturday i'm going to look at one that's for sale and it will be my first 86 experience. We'll see how it goes.

Hope to learn from this community and maybe meet a couple of you.
Find all posts by this user
08-27-2019, 01:47 PM
Welcome! keep us update!

1985 AE86 (ハチロク) Levin - Summer time daily driver
09-01-2019, 10:20 PM
Welcome Robert!
We already spoke a lot through Whatsapp and I hope you will find a suitable one! Thumbs up!
And any pictures you can share of your 99 Impreza GT Turbo? Tongue

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - NL: Robert]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Thank you! Your input has already been very helpful!

This is my Impreza which is 90% stock with 185k-km
Original Jdm gauges on dash and steering boss.
Supersprint exhaust and scoobysport chip -> +/-265hp/380Nm
Foglight mesh-covers
Carbon Lorraine brake pads.

Some Pics

And the Saxo Cup car

Last saturday I had my first personal experience with an 86.
A red Corolla GT, original dutch car. It was like a monet, pretty from far, but upclose far from pretty. Ok its a 35 year old car. Even though there weren't any scratches and only a few parking dents, there were some smaller, but also bigger parts where it began to rust in the past. Rear right pilar close to the boot, and some spots above the windscreen had some patches in a different red colour. Both spaces in the boot were covered with some a sort of bitumen which people tend to use when they repair rust, felt solid. both wheel arches were solid as well. Couldn't check the bottom floor as it got an undercoat years ago. Also some stange this in the engine bay, like a small airfilter on a vacuum hose connected to the throttle body. The seller maintained the car imself partially. Did oil changes himself for instance, but the timing belt was done by a garage. He told me he never had any issues with the car and even had the original waterpump and alternator Huh

The original spare wheel and repair tools were still in the boot and complete.
The interior was in very good condition, with only some marks on the drivers seat. It had a different, thicker, steering wheel, and power windows. apart form that, it seemed stock. Everything worked fine, and buttons didn't feel worn out.

Then the engine and driving. Id needed a booster to start, but it started in 1 tick.
It idled at 2k for a while but dropped >1k eventually. The throttle response amazed me, it revved so easily and smooth. When we went for a drive, I was surprised by the absence of power brakes. That was actually the first moment I realised how old these cars are. Had to push the brakes very hard to decrease speed. But after a few kilometers you get used to it. Although, I would prefer bigger brakes and different brake pads. (where there any 86's with power brakes?)

The drive itself was great. Car responded very well in changing directions, and no sounds from the suspension whatsover. Some vibration close to 2k when accelerating in 1st and 2nd gear, but that was it.(don't know if it had an lsd as the chassis numer ends with a 4 and the seller didn't alow me to put some marks on the road)
And that engine, 205k-km on it, but it was so smooth. revved easily to 7,5k and acceration was very decent (could use some shorter gears though). Need to say it had an open airfilter and the Sebring exhaust on it.
It was a pleasure to drive and there was nothing that dissapointed me, I even fit and sit wel in it (1.90m) which i didn't expect.

That being said, I think its a good car which could use some tlc. Besides that a very, very good first impression and a good base to start from comparing to other cars.
Wanting a car for the better part of 10 years, it could have dissapointed me, but it didn't. The opposite actually, I now know, I really want one and it is going to happen. I might even trade the Subaru for it.

So if anyone knows one up for sale, please let me know!
09-02-2019, 11:04 PM
Welcome,

The 2k idle at startup is normal. With power brakes you mean ‘abs’ ? I don’t know what your plans are with the car but for street use you don’t really need a big brake kit. Refurbed oem calipers with decent discs and pads will do the job just fine.

ハチロク

09-03-2019, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2019 09:00 AM by r.ave.)
Maybe I wasn't clear with my explanation. Didn't know the word for it when i was writing it down, I meant brake servo or brake booster
The absensce of ABS is fine, the other 2 don't have it either. But never driven a car without a brake servo, so that was a surprise.
To be honest, don't think you own an 86 as a daily commuter, so yeah i would prefer at least different pads on it.
09-03-2019, 09:02 AM
But an ae86 has a servo? I don't think any toyota made after 1975 came without one???

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
09-03-2019, 09:51 AM
I thought so too.
But I was so surprised by the firm pedal and lack of a decent deceleration the seller told me it didn't have a servo and i believed him at that moment together with what i felt.

Actually feel kind of stupid now, as it has one on the pictures...Banging head
09-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Mine is a daily driver. I have used project mu pads for years and they always served me well.

Maybe the brakes on the car you testdrove weren’t working properly.

ハチロク

09-03-2019, 09:51 PM
The 4AGE is renown for being a difficult starter on an old aging battery. Many have experienced that the battery seemed to be perfectly fine, but the starter motor simply wouldn't tick over. After swapping to a new battery no starting problems are to be found.

About the LSD question, the firewall ID plate should look similar to these:
Notice the code at the bottom: it contains the T282 and T50 codes, meaning it has the T50 gearbox and the T282 axle (28 = 4.3 crownwheel and 2 = open diff)
Similar, but this is either a USDM or Swiss SR5, featuring the S314 axle (31 = 3.9 crownwheel and 4 = four pinion non LSD)
JDM AE86 and notice the trans / axle being mentioned separately here.
Another JDM AE86, but this time with a T283, meaning it's got the LSD. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robert in Japan EP Importers 1 4,364 06-22-2022 11:15 AM