My idea, my love, my history
04-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Hey Apolan,

When your springs are a to high spring rate and/or your dampers are set to stiff, the suspension can't react to the uneven road surface fast enough and that results in alot less traction and a lot more scary ride.

Progressive springs 'solve' this by having a low spring rate when the car is 'neutral' and a progressively higher spring rate as the spring gets compressed.

The tradeoff is that the suspension becomes unpredicatable due to the always varying spring rate.

From what I understand, proper linear springs with correct damper settings is preferable over progressive springs for full control of your car even on low quality roads.
Still if the road surface is really bad, going progressive is better.

I think Pawel managed to adjust the setup to his wishes though.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
04-08-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm not sure, im not a racing driver so i din't have the chance to test many setups.. But still if you set the shocks to soft, than stiff springs will bounce too much; too stiff and as you said the spring is too "restricted" and teh car will bounce again.

But i dont think that 6kg/mm or even 4kg/mm spring can contract fast enough for small imperfections at speed. those springsrates only work when the full weight of the car leans on them "slowly" (ie corners). the bumps require much softer springrates and very little travel. thats why you see racecars launch up when they drive over curbs on a racetrack. the stiffer the spring, more dramatic the resoult. but it is true that this progressive springrates add abit of an unlinear feel. thats what i think, please correct me if im wrong, as i said im no expert.. Dumb question
04-08-2008, 07:25 PM
6/4 or 6/5 like I'm running is not bad at all on most roads. My setup is way more comfortable than progessive springs with yellow konis.

Bas, I have no problem running the dampers on full soft. It still handels great. The HTS might have a bigger window of adjustment but I don't know Smile

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - My idea, my love, my history]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Apolan, shocks are also progressively valved, so adjusting them can help without compromising the handling badly.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
04-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Jan trust me your roads are not half as bad as ours.. specially mountain ones; with few exceptions. I hate oru country, they're saving money by making very low quality roads, which wear out very very quickly. the resoult are holes, tarmac cracking up and endless repairs.. there is alway work on the road wherever you go.. Confused

Ivan yes that should helo, still i think that stiff springs normally used for coilover conversions on ae's cannot follow litlle bumps and imperfections in the road, regardles of how soft you set the shocks. even stock springs are a bit progressive arent they?
04-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Cool,, good to see the Levin got a good home,,
That OBX header is gonna take some serious effort to fit,
The flange is way too thick, even for machining, so the best thing to do is cut the pipe-work & shorten it Confused
Havent attempted mine yet, got afraid & fitted a HKS

Without Gasget!!!!

HKS no-problem

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas
04-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Apolan is right. I've tried a lot of settings. I think the one I have now is the best compromise. Shock are quite soft but because of springs car is bouncing.
i know it is hard to understand for you guys who where not driving in eastern europe. This setup reduces pain on holes etc but over 120 car driving is dangerous - car is almost loosing grip with 4 wheels

Eircamae86 - dont scare me! what if they wont fit as yours?

I'am flying to Italy tomorrow - back in monday. i wont have internet Sad

regards to all of you!

Pawel

AE86! love love love!
Hankiewicz Rally Team
04-08-2008, 11:38 PM
The OBX will 100% not fit.
& if you attempt to fit it then super-heat it & bend it downwards this will also not work as it will fowl the subframe.
Sorry to bring bad news

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas
04-09-2008, 07:43 AM
No you are right I don't know how bad your roads are. But yellow konis and progressive springs are still less comfy than my TRD setup! Even if I set the dampers on medium... Thats why Koni sucks imo! Other dampers might be better and let you gain the advantage of the progressive spring.

And as I said: I have no problems running full soft! In fact I allways do on the road. Its comfy, more forgiving and still very well balanced. But the HTS might be softer (too soft?!?) than TRD on full soft but I don't know.

I would love to test the HTS' but I don't think anyone got them in DK...

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
04-09-2008, 08:21 PM
yes i have tocico blues, so they might be a good match for apexes wich are progressive..

And roads here are really bad. i'd imagine they are even worse in eastern europe.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  swap idea. mr4deadcrow 3 4,757 01-02-2009 01:26 PM
Last Post: Roger