My braaaakes, what about yours? [brake topic]
09-03-2011, 01:47 PM
I have the factory standard brakes, but they need some renewing. Almost slammed into a bus the other day...spongy brakes. Nothing new about bus drivers trying to kill me though.

So..
What kind of setup do aeu86.org members have? Show me those bureku systems

\(^o^)/
Find all posts by this user
09-04-2011, 03:29 AM
I've got 2 pot front calipers of a SW20 MR2 with re-drilled 281mm rear rotors from a SW20 MR2 as well. The calipers are mounted to the strut by a custom 6061 alloy CNC milled bracket.

The idea with this set-up was to use easily sourced toyota parts to improve braking performance. You can also keep your standard master cylinder although I upgraded mine with a mitsubishi starion one which is a direct bolt on.

I've still got two sets of brackets that I'm looking to sell so if you're interested have a look at them in my for sale topic: http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/bozus-for...ht=#139930

I'll be returning to Holland in October and will be taking my car and all the parts with me so depending on if/when you wan them that could save you shipping costs.
09-04-2011, 11:25 AM
T3 Wilwoods here. Basically some brackets to fit Wilwood calipers over some redrilled VW Corrado G60 discs.

Plus points:
They shave some weight
G60 discs are the cheapest out there..if you know someone that will redril them (FastBrakes claims they are their own design so they can sell you the discs at a somewhat elevated price point (x4) ).
It is one of very few 280mm setups that fit under my 14x7 Königs.
Upgrade path to 6 pots is a simple 250e caliper swap away.
Pads for wilwoods are the cheapest available.

Minus:
Guess the calipers could be a little stiffer. Doesn't bother me much yet
Redrilling replacement discs will be a bit tedious
Lightweight 2 piece rotors would be better. Luckily there are tons out there specifically for this setup. They are used under miata's, integras and corrados. So either order your own hats or redrill some others.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
09-04-2011, 11:28 AM
OEM discs with Project µ B-Spec pads front and rear - Ferodo 5.1. brake fluid
above did well for me and I could do 3 consecutive laps on the Nordschleife (21km per lap) without issues. Didn't do more as after 3 laps my concentration isn't up to the job of doing another anymore.

For shorter tracks with heavy demand on the brakes (i.e. anneau du rhin) the Project µ HC+ are good as they go upto 800°C at that point the OEM disc start to warp though so you might want to look for an exchange there (Black Diamond discs or if you can afford Project µ or Tarox)

BTW my pads need changing soon (as they didn't wear down evenly because of slightly sticky caliper), nevertheless they lasted ~2 years (although the last year without track usage)

PS: see also here http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/wtb-perfo...highlight=

EDIT: as mentioned before it really depends how you use your car, most get away with pads, some need discs and only very few do need a big brake conversion with other calipers etc...

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I don't use the car for the track, so something sub-sporty would do like it was originally perhaps. No idea how good they were though, and I'm accustomed to pretty weak breaks so pretty much everything would be an improvement.

Also since yesterday a bigger problem emerged. No oil pressure in the engine, no oil at all in fact .. now where did all that go? I changed it 6000 kms ago and never saw any blue smoke coming out the exhaust or oil underneath my parking spot. When I took the oil cap off it smelled burned in there though..

It all started with a rattling noise, I thought the valves needed to be adjusted as I heard that's common. But now a friend told me that in the worst case its the crankshaft bearings and the crankshaft might be damaged = expensive Undecided

mehh
09-21-2011, 10:38 PM
I am wondering what is the best choise for my brakes since they are worn and need to be replaced.

I do not want to upgrade to a big brake kit yet, but just the best setup with OEM calipers and aftermarket disks and pads.

will change my brake fluid and mayby the brake lines for a new set,

spoken to a person who is doing lots of limit test drives with different vehicles for supspension set up, and he adviced me iff I wanted to upgrade to go for a set of drilled and grooved disks and Redd stuff pads,

I have allready read about in a different topic that the most here are not that pleased with redd stuff pads,

SO what are the possibilities and where to buy?
For the rear side I am running Mintex pads and OEM disks,

Please advice!!

Regards,

Roel

Gtsi-R

"Trust me, I was an engineer"
"straight lines are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"
09-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Im running a 6pot greddy big brake kits. They are the best big brake kits out there hands down! Very responsive, quiet but yet agressive and greddy really pay attention to details.
09-21-2011, 11:22 PM
As said before I'm well pleased with my setup see above and it did well on the Nurburgring.
If I need more than that I'll change to black diamond grooved discs and project mu hc+ pads - if ever need more than that a bigbrake kit with willwood or AP calipers would be my choice

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Bravothreezero Wrote:No idea how good they were though, and I'm accustomed to pretty weak breaks...
No oil pressure in the engine, no oil at all in fact .. I changed it 6000 kms ago

The stock brakes are very good when maintained, you are obviously not a maintainer seeing as what you're accustomed to & that oil level should be checked much more often then at 6000kms, do it at EVERY fillup.
Hope you haven't killed the engine, but you've probably shortened its life by about 50%. Good luck.

So what!
09-22-2011, 01:25 PM
the pads, brake fluid 5.1, and braking line like goodrige work great.

i use this set up for 86 and it works very very fine. i use my 86 mostly on track, so i chose the project mu pads hc +. i have never experienced fade while tracking very hard except when my pads were gone like they are now.

i plan to get another set because i am very pleased with them.

for you if you don't go on track or occasionaly, i know because i used them, you can take the project mu b-spec, as mentionned above by bean bandit, with braking lines et brake fluid like 5.1. you will be fine.

my toyota is fantastic

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another suspension topic - The deal with droop Jezza_hr 27 26,488 05-31-2014 10:35 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  the many more 4AGZE questions topic ditn 39 37,582 05-31-2013 11:35 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Brake master cylinder for FC3S brake conversion Hachi Go 8 13,429 03-03-2011 12:06 AM
Last Post: filh
  YES, another Digital Cluster topic kikefasa 4 10,001 07-27-2009 07:13 PM
Last Post: kikefasa
  MAP vs AFM (splitted from smallport sale topic) krijn 12 10,495 10-15-2006 04:25 PM
Last Post: NoHachi