My Levin GT Coupe
10-30-2009, 10:37 AM
My Levin GT Coupe
Hey all long time browser first time posting, thought I would post up my Levin for all the world to see.

I've always wanted a AE86 race car, so for some stupid reason I put my turbo KP60 Starlet race car (which I had only just finished building and hadn't even really had a chance to use yet) up for sale and brought a 1984 Levin GT Coupe, and started the building process all over again. Plan is to keep it road legal so I can drive it to the track, since I only live 5minutes away from it.

The person that i actually brought a car off had planned on using it as a rally car, but lost interest. It ended up sitting for many years untill i brought it.

Heres some pictures of the day i brought it home, the car is totally stock apart from some aftermarket headers and a little exhaust. The last owner started to strip the interior but seemed to have given up (i believe this is the only thing that he actually did on the car in all his years of ownership)
Looks a bit rough but really its not to bad, body is straight and the paint isn't to bad really considering its been sitting round for years, it of course does have the usual AE86 rust in the boot and rear guards plus the usual other random bits

Now because this car is a GT that means it has factory T series drum rear end instead of the T series disc rear end. I had to decide if i should keep the drums, or pull the disc rear end out of my KP60 and swap them over, in the end i've kept the drum rear end since i would rather keep the car true its factory GT specs. I did however take my brand new TRD 2 way LSD out of the KP60 since it had less then 100kms on it there was no way i was letting it go with the car.

Fast forward a few weeks:
The wheels really bugged me so one long weekend i stripped them down and repainteed them in their orignal gold colour, i think it made a car look a lot nicer. A set of TRD springs were also fitted to rear that same weekend.

Fast forward a few more weeks:
Since i had the guards/bumper/front struts etc off i thought it would be a good idea to slap some fresh undercoat round the place, once i was finshed painting i refitted the strurts with some nice TRD springs

Fast forward to today:
Pretty much at the moment i can't move forward with this untill the rust is fixed so hopefully in the next couple of weeks the car will be off to the panel beaters to get all fixed all, then once thats done the car can be sent off to get the rollcage fitted then once thats done it will be time for some new paint
Heres a picture showing how the car looks at the moment all stripped down and new wheels

I'm not really as far along with this as i wanted to be but hey good things take time

Car is still pretty stock but heres what i've done so far:
TRD Springs
TRD 2 Way LSD
M's Racing intake
Ummm yeah thats pretty much it
Find all posts by this user
10-30-2009, 11:04 AM
My Levin GT Coupe
I've got quite a few new parts and plenty of cleaned up parts waiting to all go back on the car, heres a couple of pics of stuff i had nearby

The seats that i will be using, one is a FIA Recaro SPG-N the other is a Recaro SRIII Trail, i had the SPG retrimmed to match the SRIII (picture makes the colour look funny but they are the same)

I went into toyota and got them to run the chasis code and according to that these are the factory decals that should be on the boot lid some i got them to order some in
10-31-2009, 09:30 PM
My Levin GT Coupe
Nice project! Thumbs up!
Is the car an original NZ car or was it imported later on?

The top decal is the correct GT Twincam 16 decal, however the Corolla Levin decal is the AE92 decal. With the AE92 the Levin font changed to a bit more "modernized" font.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - My Levin GT Coupe]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-01-2009, 12:08 AM
My Levin GT Coupe
Car was imported into NZ in 91 and was on the road untill 2004 when the person i got it off first brought it. The import GTs are pretty different to the NZ new Corolla GTs

Thats weird about the levin sticker as thats what came up when toyota looked up the chasis number but oh well

My brother came over the other night and did some work on the car for me, he brought brand new doors from toyota for his ae86 so he gave his old doors to me since they are in very good condition, i think the car would look quite cool silver and black like his car is but i think i'll stck with the factory white since that will be easier to paint
11-06-2009, 08:05 AM
My Levin GT Coupe
Bye bye car see you in a week

Quote:The top decal is the correct GT Twincam 16 decal, however the Corolla Levin decal is the AE92 decal. With the AE92 the Levin font changed to a bit more "modernized" font.
I asked Toyota about this and it turns out I did order the right sticker but they are discontinued so they just sent me the ae92 instead and didn't say anything and I didn't notice since I pretty much just checked them in a draw as soon as I got them
12-05-2009, 02:12 PM
My Levin GT Coupe
YAY! car came home today, took longer then expected but meh you get that on the big jobs.
Fully stoked the last time i saw it will all its panels on was the day i brought it.

Well the car was away my recaro rails arrived from Japan so we tested fitted the seats in my brothers GT Apex Trueno, very cool is all i can say about them,
Also picked up mint front and rear bumpers which are actually for the GT so they are the factory grey colour which saves me having to paint one of my other sets
12-07-2009, 09:46 PM
My Levin GT Coupe
Fenders look great! Thumbs up!

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - My Levin GT Coupe]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2009, 07:51 AM
My Levin GT Coupe
Starting painting yesterday, doors bootlid and 1 guard are all primed ready to go, bonnet and other guard are preped and ready to be primed then its onto the body itself

Redid the cam covers, my brother was kind enough to remove the lettering and the mount holes for the spark plug/vally cover thing on one side so that they actually look more like a pair instead of 2 lefts, think its 100 times better then when they were black.
12-21-2009, 08:35 AM
My Levin GT Coupe
FINALLY FINISHED PAINTING HOOORAY

Its far from perfect but i think it came out pretty damn good considering i've never painted a car before.

Also picked up a few new goodies
TRD leads, Cusco master cylinder brace, and another Levin sticker
12-21-2009, 11:06 PM
My Levin GT Coupe
Without the masking all over it

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trueno Hatch and Levin Coupe - Repair, replace, pray xD TomRich 13 12,899 10-07-2018 09:45 PM
Last Post: banpei
  @dodo@ Levin Coupe, renovation and tuning (56k think twice) @dodo@ 165 147,545 03-28-2018 12:35 PM
Last Post: ZaX
  Aram's 3SGE Beams Levin Coupe robokill 665 683,803 09-03-2017 09:24 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Matt's "Drives as fast as it's Towed" 85 Levin Coupe mad.matt 38 36,803 04-07-2016 12:15 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  DidiDex 1984 Levin coupe rebuild DidiDex 1 4,923 08-13-2015 03:22 PM
Last Post: DidiDex