My $60 paintjob!!!
04-26-2007, 11:40 AM
My $60 paintjob!!!
Hope that Ivan will chime in on this thread, seeing as he has actual experience with this process. To be honest I don't think its worth the bother.
To get a reasonable result you need to do the same amount of prepwork that you would need to do for a regular spraypaint job. Around here I can get a quick respray (aka you do all the prep) for about 250E..thats mostly paintcosts but gives you a two component paint that will last at least a decade in our crappy rainy saltridden environment.

I actually do like the Matt-black/grey/red primer jobs like the one on our Trueno. Most important reason for me is that you can do quick local body work repairs, touch up the area with a spraycan and the car looks no worse afterwards.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
04-27-2007, 07:08 AM
My $60 paintjob!!!
NoHachi Wrote:To be honest I don't think its worth the bother.
To get a reasonable result you need to do the same amount of prepwork that you would need to do for a regular spraypaint job. Around here I can get a quick respray (aka you do all the prep) for about 250E..thats mostly paintcosts but gives you a two component paint that will last at least a decade in our crappy rainy saltridden environment.

nice and cheap - you can add a zero at the end of your figure to get the cost here in Switzerland... so this is a very reasonable method for me...
I'm going to roller my arches and fix a little bit of rust there this spring to make more room for some 8" wide rims Smile and paint them black (not going for the panda look though, although I realy like it)

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-27-2007, 10:12 AM
My $60 paintjob!!!
Well, a full paintjob costs around 2500-5000 E here in Holland too. Most of the cost goed towards disassembling the car and prepping it for paint.
Do the disassembly yourself and the price drops to about 1500E
Do all the primary sanding yourself and the price drops to about 800E.
Put on a coat of primer and do the final sanding stuff and the costs drop to anything between 300 and 500E.
Then there's the car-salesman special, which basically entails some minor sanding of the top coat of the car (by yourself) and the paintshop laying down one thick coat of (usually non-metallic) paint. This would be the equivalent of a roller paintjob, use better paints and give a smoother result. It is about 5 times as expensive through..coming in at anything between 250 and 400E.

I would advise anyone who would like to do this kind of thing to first take a look at a car that has been done earlier. The pictures do not really show the details that can catch the eye in practice.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
04-27-2007, 10:52 AM
My $60 paintjob!!!
my 2500 figure is with everything preped as well, anyways that's rather OT and
I'd still appreciate any input towards what paint to use as I made up my mind to give this a go Wink

AE86 ex-daily
04-27-2007, 12:42 PM
My $60 paintjob!!!
beanbandit,

Very likely I'll go this route with the Volvo, I'll let you know how things go Smile

If worst comes to worst, we can always look into shipping some paint from NL to SwissSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
04-27-2007, 06:07 PM
My $60 paintjob!!!
Mux213 Wrote:beanbandit,

Very likely I'll go this route with the Volvo, I'll let you know how things go Smile

If worst comes to worst, we can always look into shipping some paint from NL to SwissSmile

Thumbs up! very busy at the moment will have a look around a paint shop next week and test it on one of the wrecks in my garage Wink - if the paints around here are usless I'll come back to your offer :wink:

Wave Bean

AE86 ex-daily
06-10-2007, 03:21 AM
My $60 paintjob!!!
hammerrite aint rustoleom.

for one point

car paint is around 60-80 euro a litre here at a good company. clearcoat is around 50. you will need around 5L for a whole hachi including inside. so around 5 l clear coat. (do the calc yourselve)

My dad can order any rustolleum product. I already orderd steel primer and RAL 9010 combi color. This will be the ground layer for my racer project.

After that I run a respray at toyota orignal white for the hachi (thought it was 040 or 041) Which Ivan found a repsray cabin for 50 euro's for 4 hours rent.

So for not so much I'll be able to respray the whole car :-D And its "just" a racer.....

Comming back on topic. Rustolleum has a mark for a good % zinc. Also they offer a way to spraypaint it trough a pistol.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS