My 4AGE N/A build
08-18-2011, 02:14 AM
My 4AGE N/A build
Well It looks like ive killed my 4AGE so im looking at doing a rebuild and ive been collecting parts with the aim of the following spec

AWT polish and ported head with arrow shim under bucket kit with cat cam springs
Toda adjustable pulley's
Toda pistons with comp ratio of 11.3:1
Brian Crower forged Rods
Toda 1mm head gasket
ARP head stud and nut kit
Toda cambelt
ACL race bearings
New toyota pumps
my Mikuni 48mm Carbs on the Ported and polished HKS inlet manifold

I have 2 sets of cams to choose from for this build and id like some advice on wich you guys think would be best for this application

first i Have Catcams duration 278 / 266°, duration 254 / 242° Max lift 11.80 / 11.05mm lift at TDC 3.65 / 2.90mm

Secondly i have a set of Toda cams with a 310 duration and a 10.5mm lift (inlet and exhaust the same)

Also is there any problems you can for see with the proposed spec of this engine ? Ill also be building a slightly less well spec motor aswell for spare.

thanks Thumbs up!
Find all posts by this user
08-18-2011, 08:07 AM
My 4AGE N/A build
Hi,

well I don't know what parts you already have and what not but there are cheaper options out there with the same quality.
By the specs you state you are looking at around 200+hp if well tuned so bigger valves might be a good idea (OEM size will only support ~180 at a push).

I myself have catcams too (7105138 + ...149) although I'm not familiar with the ones you mention above. With the Toda ones you'd probably want to increase CR a bit more assuming you have good fuel at hand.

what is the purpose of this engine, as this will dictate the cams to use - personally I would go with the catcams.

PS: did you get hold of Ben lately? I originaly planed to get my headwork done by him too but as he hasn't been replying to any messages from several people I now went to Loynings and oldeskewltoy.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-18-2011, 12:50 PM
My 4AGE N/A build
having driven an 86 with 310 11mm lift, it was all good fun but hard to drive, no power at all under 4500. Depend on what you want, road/track??? but Id be looking at torque not power, some of the quickest rally cars Ive seen only run approx 175bhp but make big torque & use it through got set-ups. 10,000rpm is fun though Big Grin

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas
08-18-2011, 09:56 PM
My 4AGE N/A build
I have all of these parts already kicking about so thats not a problem now . The aim is for some where between 180-200bhp idealy , i was told the valves would be good up until 200 ish so thats something to contemplate cheers.

The cat cams i have are special order I believe ? (7105130) Yeah we have good fuel on hand where i am 99 ron so its pretty good.

The car will be for mostley track and drift days but will also be road legal.

I bought the head off a mate who bought it of AWT as the customer couldn't pay the bill for all the head work and parts fitted I believe the bill was over £1500 i got it for a steal at £500 plus the cat cams Big Grin

I have just been offered some TRD cams with 312 duration , 11mm lift intake and 304 duration , 11mm lift exhaust . Any thoughts on these ?

I don't mind working an engine hard i actualy enjoy it having been into forced induced cars for the last few years really liking the N/A side of things Smile
08-18-2011, 11:30 PM
My 4AGE N/A build
IMHO I'd go with the setup you have and skip the TRD cams.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-18-2011, 11:59 PM
My 4AGE N/A build
Bean Bandit Wrote:IMHO I'd go with the setup you have and skip the TRD cams.

Ok cool cheers mate Thumbs up!
08-19-2011, 03:49 AM
My 4AGE N/A build
Lewy Wrote:I bought the head off a mate who bought it of AWT as the customer couldn't pay the bill for all the head work and parts fitted I believe the bill was over £1500 i got it for a steal at £500 plus the cat cams Big Grin

I have just been offered some TRD cams with 312 duration , 11mm lift intake and 304 duration , 11mm lift exhaust . Any thoughts on these ?

Eircamae86 Wrote:having driven an 86 with 310 11mm lift, it was all good fun but hard to drive, no power at all under 4500. Depend on what you want, road/track??? but Id be looking at torque not power, some of the quickest rally cars Ive seen only run approx 175bhp but make big torque & use it through got set-ups. 10,000rpm is fun though Big Grin

Bean Bandit Wrote:IMHO I'd go with the setup you have and skip the TRD cams.

Good advice... 4AG engines have no real difficulty making hp, they do have a tough time making torque. Not knowing the Catcams as well as some of the other camshaft makers.... Have you checked Dynamic Compression Ratio of your build with the Catcams??

I'd LOVE to see the porting work.... any clear photos of the work performed?

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
08-19-2011, 05:31 AM
My 4AGE N/A build
oldeskewltoy Wrote:Good advice... 4AG engines have no real difficulty making hp, they do have a tough time making torque. Not knowing the Catcams as well as some of the other camshaft makers.... Have you checked Dynamic Compression Ratio of your build with the Catcams??

Honestley no i was advised by some one else that the Toda cams would be better suited to my application. How would i go about doing this ? sorry im quite new to these engines and im more used to just bolting on a bigger turbo Blush

Im back in the UK in about 7 days so i can put up a couple of pic's of head ill be using if thats any good Thumbs up!
08-19-2011, 07:24 PM
My 4AGE N/A build
Lewy Wrote:
oldeskewltoy Wrote:Good advice... 4AG engines have no real difficulty making hp, they do have a tough time making torque. Not knowing the Catcams as well as some of the other camshaft makers.... Have you checked Dynamic Compression Ratio of your build with the Catcams??

Honestley no i was advised by some one else that the Toda cams would be better suited to my application. How would i go about doing this ? sorry im quite new to these engines and im more used to just bolting on a bigger turbo Blush

Im back in the UK in about 7 days so i can put up a couple of pic's of head ill be using if thats any good Thumbs up!

find a DCR calculator..... http://www.google.com/search?q=dynamic+c...ox&ie=&oe=

You will need to gather some information about your build - like bore, stroke, deck height, gasket thickness... everything you need to calculate static compression ratio, and then you need to know camshaft timing, in particular the degree that the intake valve closes

I'd love to see the photos when/if you get the chance. Hurray!

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
08-19-2011, 09:32 PM
My 4AGE N/A build
oldeskewltoy Wrote:You will need to gather some information about your build - like bore, stroke, deck height, gasket thickness... everything you need to calculate static compression ratio, and then you need to know camshaft timing, in particular the degree that the intake valve closes

I'd love to see the photos when/if you get the chance. Hurray!

Wow quite a bit of info needed then really , ill see what i can do.

No problems on the photo's ill do my best to see if i can get some clear ones.

Other things ive woke up and started to comprehend is my clutch was on its last legs from my exuberant driving style , Its a TRD item so i was told but it was already starting to slip with just 154bhp so its not really going to cut it with the upgrades.
So ive been wondering anyone have any sugestions on clutch's to use ? Ive been looking at single platers mostly Exedy , ORC and similer as im not sure what flywheel is in there.

Also while im at it Exhausts any thoughts good and bad on exhausts ? mine has a generic crap piss pipe on the back at the moment cause the previous owner thought the fujitsubo one was to loud Sad . Theres a Kakimoto one for sale locally any one had any experiances ?

thanks Thumbs up!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Build your own adjustable fuel pressure regulator ;) oldeskewltoy 8 19,528 08-19-2018 12:08 PM
Last Post: AlexKTM
  NA Build Questions | Blue-/ Redtop questions d3nso 18 14,947 02-25-2013 07:01 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  what bearings for my build? Bean 6 5,911 09-22-2012 10:25 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Doing a 7AGE build, gasket question Snejk 9 13,366 07-15-2010 12:42 PM
Last Post: PetzK
  Exhaust gets REALLY warm, mild 4AGE build running MS Jan Pedersen 42 41,631 03-21-2010 03:01 PM
Last Post: einneb