Mocal oil cooler & sandwitch plate ordered
05-27-2008, 03:59 PM
I dont think that that is a big problem.. but check your termostat again!!

or feel your oil cooler.. engine should get hotter than that inspecially during racing / drifting... full throttle actions.. I think that the termostat is always open ??

But is the engine a turbo/supercharger or so?

But what I do know that racing teams start driving from about 60 dgs, that is warm enough for some oil lubrrication of divers parts..

But the best is around the 90 / 100 dgs..

Gtsi-R

"Trust me, I was an engineer"
"straight lines are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"
Find all posts by this user
05-29-2008, 10:45 PM
to tell you the truth I just thought that the oil won't be hotter then the opening temp.
We had a test today and it was 95 celsius after a couple of rounds. So it looks like we choose the right size.

edit: its an almost stock 4age. Headers and light tune (polish, cam gears, etc.)
06-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Had a 4agze powered ae86 with standard oil cooler set up using a MOCAL 13row oil cooler. Think it was all fine, never had any problems anyhow. Now have fitted a 7AGZE with sc14, and a oil temperature guage. On track oil reeches 110deg and more after about 4-5laps on boost.
Just read this topic, looking some help, what size of oil cooler would be best 19/25row or more?
What is the part numbers of the sandwich plates etc you used PARROT, set up sounds good, would like to sort out something similar myself?

Is that picture a remote filter head with sandwich plate bolted to it on the inner guard? Never thought of doing it that way instead of from the side of the block.

Listen to the whine.
Not just a carbon copy.
06-02-2008, 02:33 AM
Hi Boffin

Yes it is a remote filter head (RF4) with a thermostatic sandwich plate (OTSP1). They are designed to join like that if desired. Has a basic take off plate (TOP1) from the block.

Their catalogue is very detailed and has some good design info included which may help you determine the size of cooler. Talking with them, they recommended the 13 row for a NA 16 valve doing some track days
06-02-2008, 08:23 AM
no need for me to ad Info.. Parrot said it all Big Grin

Gtsi-R

"Trust me, I was an engineer"
"straight lines are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"
06-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Many thanks, i'll just have a wee think about size of cooler and get it ordered up.

Listen to the whine.
Not just a carbon copy.
06-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Spoke to demon tweeks today, the guy was trying to push me towards using a take off plate on block and a separate thermostat and remote filter head.

Think this would be way to go if not relocating filter.

Trying to picture it, but think it is just going to make 5 hoses, 10 connections etc as thermostat has 4 ports.

Think the way Parrot's is done is spot on as it is just like OEM set up except relocated! With a sandwich plate on the block feeding the oil cooler behind the filter, obviously works and filters oil at the same time. Only has 8 connections, 4 hoses in total.

Listen to the whine.
Not just a carbon copy.
11-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Sorry for the (bigtime) revive guys, but I saw somewhere that you might require a different sandwich plate/oil cooler setup for the 20v if planning to keep VVTI - oil pressure differential is changed when a specific plate is used.

Can anyone share what sandwich plate and cooler setup they used for their 20v?
I'll be getting one for my built engine, just generally sorting cooling for reliability.

Cheers!
11-18-2022, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2022 02:28 PM by FanIsHere.)
Another big digging on this thread, but I didn't want to open a new one.

I'm currently running on Link ECU and I want to send oil pressure & temp to the ECU without installing an aftermarket oil cooler for now.

Does anyone know if Mocal Billet Sandwich Plate fits directly to 4A-GE 16v RWD along with the existing OEM sandwich plate?

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Mocal oil cooler & ...te ordered]

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Mocal oil cooler & ...te ordered]

Follow: The story of my AE86
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil cooler totta Crolla 0 1,316 07-25-2021 03:25 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Oil cooler kit izanagi 7 7,942 09-20-2016 11:13 AM
Last Post: harkes
  Permanent oil cooler vs thermostat Lt86 19 19,017 03-28-2015 06:54 PM
Last Post: Lt86
  trans oil, lsd oil change Apolan 9 15,803 10-01-2014 03:57 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Spindle dimensions, backing plate bolt pattern Rascal21 18 19,538 03-13-2014 11:45 AM
Last Post: Rascal21