Map sensored ECU conversion problems
01-15-2009, 09:47 AM
First off, I live in Canada so I'm stuck with USDM stuff except for the JDM ECU and random sensors I bought .

So I'm elbow deep in trying to get a usdm harness modified for use with a 91 AE92 Non-TVIS jdm ecu and sensors and I have most of it sorted but there's a couple things I can't find any info on.

First, the Igniter. I have a couple usdm ones but they are different from the jdm igniter in that the us connects with the distributor and the jdm does not. Also the us model contains the NE wire to the ECU while the jdm houses the NE wire in the Distributor. So, can the us model be modified to work with the jdm electrics, or do I need to find a jdm igniter. Or better yet, can someone provide me with the # from a jdm igniter so I can find one locally?

Second is the idle up system. I don't know what it includes beside the diode and a VSV, or how it's setup. I don't have a diode or idle computer but I have a VSV, so how do I set it up? Or can I leave it out completely?
Find all posts by this user
01-16-2009, 04:41 AM
go to http://www.autoshop101.com They have an excellent article on the difference between the two types of ignition systems - ESA and VAST. Shows how the signals differ and the way the ignitors work.

Also an article for the VSV there.

Chris
01-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Idleup solenoid valve is probably PWM type controlled directly by the
ECU. Mine sounds like a little steam engine when it is pulsing Smile Helps
to stabilise the idle when coming off throttle, and when extra loads are
applied to the engine at idle. Works in conjunction with the thermostatic
cold start idleup valve.

I'd recommend that you keep it.

Cheers... jondee86
01-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks. I found the parts I need, so hopefully I can finish up the harness now.
02-07-2009, 07:58 AM
You will have to have the JDM ignitor to go with the MAP based ECU. And the Dizzy. The reluctors under the caps are different.

Jason Clark
JC
Atlanta, GA

1984 AE86 SR5 Coupe
1987 MA70 (60-1,.70A/R; AEM EMS)
1994 Honda Accord EX
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2009, 01:46 PM
The detailed USDM electrical wiring diagram book is here http://www.aeu86.org/index/technical-ae8...topic=5158 and will show you what is required for the idle up circuit. I can only speak for the JDM loom which is quite different from USDM. The underdash loom contains the various diodes and the charge/headlight loom contains the VSV's. The engine loom has nothing of relevance.

Many people drive around with a non functioning idle up circuit but I found it to be a pain in the arse, and eventually sourced all the looms and VSV's. From memory the zenki looms used an external idle up computer whilst kouki were incorporated into the ECU.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kouki to Zenki Levin grill conversion? Mylesmck 6 1,055 02-08-2024 10:30 AM
Last Post: r.ave
  AFM to Map Conversion ps13michi 3 2,300 01-06-2022 10:34 AM
Last Post: ps13michi
  Big wheel problems gh0st 16 6,528 11-15-2021 10:51 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Sub panel and rotary-button replacement for Levin -> Trueno conversion gh0st 9 4,144 11-05-2021 08:17 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Starting problems 4-AGE kouki Hanzo 3 2,052 08-31-2021 06:20 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla