Lauren's 1985 Kouki Trueno
05-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Okay all done. Brakes feel terrible, though guess they need to bed in. Master cylinder is leaking, so that will need to be rebuilt.

Just a small matter of doing that and finding someone that makes brake pads for the front that might actually fit!

1985 Sprinter Trueno GT Apex
2013 GT86 Miltek Exhaust, Injen Induction.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2011, 02:52 PM
I once had the same issue with front pads.
I only use Mintex M1144 now and can recommend them.

An analogue brain in a digital World
Find all posts by this user
05-08-2011, 03:56 PM
James was saying that you need to grind the Mintex pads to make them to fit. Have you had the same issues?

Other possibility is to get some shagged old pads and send them off to Carbotech and so they can use the old backing plates.

Someone else told me that the Pagid RS2s from a Celica GT (not sure which one) can be made to fit.

05-08-2011, 04:47 PM
I've never had a problem with Mintex pads.
Could there be a slight difference between Zenki and Kouki calipers ?
I have some unknown pads that will fit a one caliper but not the other.

An analogue brain in a digital World
05-08-2011, 08:17 PM
It fitted okay, it was just that the backplate was not inside the caliper torque bracket, it was sitting out too far. The backplate lugs top and bottom seem to be bent slightly outwards, which doesn't help. If the pad had less material it would locate the lugs okay.

You'd think though if anything if there is a difference in calipers it would be the later ones that would be catered for.

05-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Brake master cylinder rebuild kit will be ordered tomorrow.

Have bought some cheap front pads from Micks garage.

Am going to speak to Carbotech, if I can afford it, then I can get the new pads on and send the old ones off and they can re-use the backing plates.

I will have working brakes!

05-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Okay have spoken to Carbotech, they can make up pads for me in XP8 compound. This is what the MR2 lot use for racing, they have an excellent reputation but obviously not cheap at around £180 all in(!).

Will send them my old backing plates as they can re-use them.

Mark has been to see Toyota this morning. Picked up the decals for the boot which should look nice when on. Also ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit, new windscreen wiper knob and some clips for the headlining.

05-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Almost cannot believe that our local Toyota dealer managed to find an original set of decals. Taken a month to get here from Toyota Japan:

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Lauren's 1985 Kouki Trueno]

05-10-2011, 07:23 AM
Lauren Wrote:Almost cannot believe that our local Toyota dealer managed to find an original set of decals. Taken a month to get here from Toyota Japan:

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Lauren's 1985 Kouki Trueno]

WTH, how can this be? My Toyota dealer can't even find their own asses Angry

Do you make them search for original parts serial number or how do they get all these goodies?

Cuz all the parts I ask for at my place are either discontinued or not at all in their database..
05-10-2011, 09:19 AM
They found the parts from the chassis code/VIN I gave them a month or so ago.

Though we did know the part numbers (we have an EPC) our parts guy didn't really need that. I think it's simply a matter of looking on the system, if something is listed as available, order it! Can't see why your parts people can't do that, it's just matter of using the Toyota parts ordering system.

Between my fiance and I we have had ten AW11s between us, we know the parts guy very well. I used to pop in there and he'd take me out the back and get on the EPC. So we've known him over ten years!

He just said that he'd have a good look for them and found what may well be the last remaining set available and stuck them on order. He is the kind of guy where you can start saying a part number and he'll know exactly what it is. Couldn't ask for more really.

Just because parts are discontinued does not mean that they aren't lying around somewhere in the world. Also got the wheelarch extension thing (see a few posts up) as that happened to be lying around in Belgium.

I guess we are quite fortunate not only to have a helpful parts guy but someone who is also interested in the car. I think he sees it as a bit of a challenge to find AE86 parts!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  White Kouki Trueno Hatch, 20V BT, FC3S brake, Watanabe MG, asw 47 56,164 04-08-2011 04:11 PM
Last Post: asw
  1985 Corolla GTS Project mattscar 5 10,113 01-30-2011 07:30 AM
Last Post: mattscar
  My 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS Hatchback Project (2002-Present) ryceboy_124 4 22,173 08-05-2009 04:25 PM
Last Post: Eric