LHD AE86 headers and exhaust
03-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Wink LHD AE86 headers and exhaust
Hi everyone Dodgy

Since about a week I have the great pleasure of owning an immaculate AE86 Levin.
I love everything about the car but the exhaust it currently has is a bit too loud for my taste... So I'm thinking of upgrading on performance and downgrading in the dBs Wink.

What I'm looking for is an exhaust that is not to loud but still has a low, full sound. (Anything below 95db would be good) and a header that will fit a LHD AE86 without modification, mainly targetting low end torque for a stock 4AGE 16v (sporty street use).

I've read a few good things about Martelius but I can't really find a lot of reviews, installed pictures or soundclips. Does anyone know where to find these?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
03-16-2015, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2015 09:49 PM by ditn.)
If you can wait a month or so i will install a martelius street version full line but wiith a middle damper as well
Which you can ask them
Db goes from 100db to under 95db normally with no performance loss just 2kg more
03-16-2015, 10:38 PM
On the header part to fit a stockish LHD model your choices are extremely limited only Martelius and OBX pop into my mind as readily available. There are some high end ones too but won't suit your needs.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-16-2015, 10:48 PM
(03-16-2015 09:48 PM)ditn Wrote:  If you can wait a month or so i will install a martelius street version full line but wiith a middle damper as well

Yes, I can still wait a little bit. Very curious to see some reviews on these exhaust. Smile
I've e-mailed the company so they could give me some options.

(03-16-2015 10:38 PM)Bean Bandit Wrote:  On the header part to fit a stockish LHD model your choices are extremely limited only Martelius and OBX pop into my mind as readily available. There are some high end ones too but won't suit your needs.

Seems Martelius is the way to go then. Thanks!
03-17-2015, 05:06 PM
martelius FIT nice and its long developed to make power.. I do have the 2.5" exhaust. very good quality. PS. easy to call and get here parts in finland.. =)
03-18-2015, 01:21 AM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2015 01:23 AM by oldeskewltoy.)
Options on the exhaust system would depend on the depth of your wallet.

from another forum Wrote:Over the years, i have prob tried almost every exhaust available to the US market..

so for those are just curious about the ones available, here are my honest opinions and reviews:

1. 5zigen Border III
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - LHD AE86 headers and exhaust]
This exhaust is a very simple design - it retains pretty much a stock 52mm piping - big resonator and oval muffler.
the tip sticks out a little farther then wanted but overall it is a good street exhaust. Not much power gain, but looks nice and has a nice deep tone. very quiet on cruising speeds and enjoyable when opened up

2. Fujitsubo Legalis R
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - LHD AE86 headers and exhaust][Image: AEU86 AE86 - LHD AE86 headers and exhaust]
A very high quality made exhaust made by FGK. the fitment and precision into this piece is awesome. it retains about a 52mm piping, very clean muffler design. not much power increase, but the sound is so damn smooth.. highly recommended if you want a nicely built street exhaust.

3. Apex I - sport megaphone
i was one of the first to test this exhaust from street and track use. this exhaust is very nicely made. it has a 60mm piping design, over diff to a nice modern oval muffler to a rolled tip.. fitment is perfect. this exhaust is quiet and very streetable. it actually gains a little bit of torq over other exhausts. the rear muffler design is not straight through - it is actually a zig zag chamber inside - so during track days - it could get hot and cause the muffler casing to stain gold. the actual muffler is a little on the big side as it can hang a little low at the tail end. overall another decent exhaust for the street

4. Apex I - BOMBER
this exhaust is basically same exact design as the HKS hipower - it uses Apex N1 straight muffler - its a mild steel - 55mm to 60mm tail pipe design. It has a real nice growl at the top end - on the cheaper side of the exhaust side - for mild build 16v's i think this exhaust will do the job. good torq and high end power. not super loud and quiet when cruising.

5. HKS HiPower / Silent Hi Power
the HKS hipower is a mild steel / stainless exhaust at the muffler. it is a 55mm to 60mm design. its pretty decent on power gains, however it is a little on the heavy side due to the mild steel. i really like the sound and tone this exhaust makes at hi RPM. its very distinct on the corolla. the only bad side is that this exhaust over time can rust / corrode due to the mild steel. other then that. it carries a good broad power band on the 16v. Great for mild built 16v
The HKS SIlent hi Power is the same exact exhaust, except the construction is full stainless and it has a bigger resonator to keep the noise down. I have this on my blue car rite now and its very enjoyable everyday. sounds good when you floor it, cruising is almost as quiet as stock.

6. HKS SPORT
the HKS sport was very popular here in the states. it had the OEM look, it was of the rite era in terms of style. and it was just simple and clean. piping is same as the HKS hipower - except with an OVAL muffler. i felt that this exhaust didnt do much in terms of power, but it did have a great sound to it. you can get this and never really worry about cops. the construction is made of mild steel - a little on the heavy side - 55 to 60mm construction.

7. Greddy DD
till this day.. this is still one of my favorites. loud as fuck - but sounds soo damn good.. something about the tone this exhaust gives is just awsome. the high end sound and power this exhaust made felt great, especially for a small 55mm piping design. the downside of this thing is the weight... all mild steel design and HEAVY AS FUCK!!!! all in all this exhaust has alot of character. FYI the silencers don do shit.. hahah id still run this exhaust if i had it.

8. BRAVE -
I am currently running this exhaust on my track car. It is the same exact look of the fujitsubo legalis R except with a slightly bigger 2.5in straight cut tip. this exhaust holds best of both worlds of street and race. its a full stainless system at 60mm all the way through from the cat. the muffler is also a straight design as well. the exhaust note is actually pretty quiet as well. it is not obnoxious and it is very bearable for daily driving. the flow rate is awsome on it. i feel that this exhaust is prob one of the best i have had. HIGHLY recommended

9. RSR - Exmag GT2
I really like this exhaust. it is a full 60mm exhaust that packs a punch. it is an over diff design, slip fit with springs / no resonator. this exhaust is LOUD and the power delivery it provides is simply awsome. the high end flow on this thing is super awsome. you actually feel your motor breath and just pull you the powerband super quick. for track days / spirited driving - i highly recomend this exhaust. it truly is a excellent peace for an over diff design.

10. Espellir - GT500 -
this exhaust was only out for about a year or 2. its a killer. 60.5mm under diff design - straight design full stainless, with a round GT style muffler. this setup was loud!! but it definitely woke up the engine. the mid range to high end on this exhaust made the engine rev up so fast.. the exhaust also hung pretty low. if you find this exhaust for sale - buy it cuz its worth it. i recommend this exhaust for built engines

11. Reinhard 60.5mm dual tip
i love love love this exhaust. its like a Greddy DD on steroids. the piping is a 60.5mm straight design under diff - single pipe split to dual 100mm exhaust tips. there is an option to have a resonator or not from the factory. I had the one with the resonator. the rear muffler is actually inside the exhaust tips. there is an exhaust baffle in each of the tips to give its clean sound. there is also additional silencers to help muffle down the noise for the street. This exhaust RIPS!!!!! when you remove the baffles and the silencers - the response from a 20v or built 16v is absolutely amazing. I am very sad and regret that i sold this to our Admin =( but he is enjoying the fuck out of it. truely and awsome exhaust and sounds so good. (not the one LUIS has, he has the type A version) done side, it is a little bit heavy at the rear section for being all stainless. but overall i give this exhaust an thumbs up

12. GP Sports -
this exhaust is loud, sounds like a tin can, mild steel. i sold it within a week. it had good power tho.. the rear exhaust muffler section is longer then normal and the mid section was just a simple resonator at 60mm all the way through. back in the day GP was kinda small, so i prob got the first versions. eventually they got better.

I will add this to the tech section as well..

there mite have been more, but this is all i can actually think of at the moment.

As I said from another forum... from my own perspective, I've had a LegalisR and a Brave... liked both. Stock, or only minimal mods - I'd choose the LegalisR

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
03-18-2015, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2015 10:52 AM by headrush.)
Congrats on your new acquisition! Big Grin

I installed a Martelius street system on mine (Gr. A header + 50mm street line) a couple months ago, and I'm more than delighted with it, I can only speak on how good it's built and finished. I didn't want to import a system from Japan because shipping + customs would have cost me as much as the whole exhaust, so Martelius was the way to go if I wanted a quality exhaust while keeping postage low.

Increase in low-end and mid-range torque is noticeable, I feel the car pulls better at any rpm new, and the sound is simply beautiful, maybe a bit on the loud side it you compare it to the stock system, but it isn't something extreme like other japanese aftermarket systems.

PS. I'm gonna take the car for a spin this weekend if I'm lucky with the weather and it's sunny, so maybe I can record a couple of clips Wink
03-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Have a complete Martelius street. Good fitment. For noise regulation, I've the middel resonator and it's under 95 db. Quiet, good fitting.

JCLsports in Belgium who makes rally ae86 with 4age 20v has putted this header on his cars. Seems to have a good flow and nice torque. Don't know for peak power. Martelius recommands Street version to 170-180 bhp.

Here a video of a friend (without the middel resonator):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaxD1QB6N3g
03-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Hey guys how low is the martelius down pipe in relation to the frame rail under the car?

Also you what type of flanges do the they use at the cat connects? From the pics it almost looks lie the dp doesn't have a flange?
03-18-2015, 09:59 PM
Wow thanks for all the helpfull replies Hurray!.

Well, I contacted Martelius a few days ago and they told me the following:

We have just what the doctor ordered for your needs in our extra silenced Group A header and 2" street tune exhaust system. The header comes with an additional silencer where the cat converter would be in a low emissions model AE86. The system then features a high quality packed rear silencer that is still straight through in flow.

Total pricing was €993, shipping to Belgium included so I think it's a very nice price for a complete front to back system.

My current system had the stock header and a unknown silencer. It has a "speedsteel" sticker on it... Didn't measure the diameter but I'm guessing it's stock.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fitting Air Con (No PS) to LHD AE86 pack 7 3,061 01-07-2024 11:36 AM
Last Post: CCB
  Cusco Powerball Headers on a NA 4AGE 16V? JDMitch 11 18,887 05-01-2021 10:09 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Headers recognition FanIsHere 2 2,680 11-23-2020 02:28 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Exhaust has white smoke coming out and I dont know why... mister86 3 3,799 01-19-2020 12:06 AM
Last Post: Power_uP
  Most stock-resembling exhaust for the AE86? DaLanZhu 4 4,835 03-24-2019 04:10 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy