JDM JZA80 in the Alps
12-03-2020, 10:22 PM
JDM JZA80 in the Alps
(12-03-2020 11:22 AM)r.ave Wrote:  I read it as he got a better car than he was expecting for the money paid.
Very pretty car indeed! Have fun with it!
I just re-read it and you are right. The car was in better condition than described. That hardly ever happens! Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - JDM JZA80 in the Alps]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2020, 09:42 PM
JDM JZA80 in the Alps
(12-02-2020 10:55 AM)banpei Wrote:  But I understand your doubts: turning such an (almost) unmodified nice car into a track car will be seen as a blasphemy a few years in ahead in time.
Correct, that's what really troubles me now. It really would be a waste of a good car to turn a stock Supra into a track car.

(12-03-2020 11:22 AM)r.ave Wrote:  I read it as he got a better car than he was expecting for the money paid.
Very pretty car indeed! Have fun with it!
Correct, it's way better than I was hoping for. I still owe the guy a box of beers or something, he helped me out a lot to organize the transport as well.

I hope they accept the car as-is at the local inspection so that I can drive it a couple years just the way it is. It's super comfortable and quick enough. In essence it's a sporty Lexus. Dodgy

In the meantime I have to save up money anyways now, race/track cars are expensive... Yummie!
Find all posts by this user
12-04-2020, 11:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2020 11:04 PM by banpei.)
JDM JZA80 in the Alps
(12-04-2020 09:42 PM)decryphe Wrote:  It's super comfortable and quick enough. In essence it's a sporty Lexus. Dodgy
That's exact opposite of what they say about the SC300 / Soarer: it's a Supra in Gran Tourer guise! Big Grin

05-12-2022, 01:01 PM
JDM JZA80 in the Alps
All right, let's revive this!

End of this month I'll be discussing this car and how to go from what it is now to where I would like to be with it. This means mostly planning what parts to get and what would need to be fabricated. As with most my stuff, I'm looking for an OEM+ kind of streetable car, so I can enjoy it as much as possible.

First off: I can't register it the way it sits. OEM doesn't count, there's no Certificate of Conformity for the European market. Swiss inspection wants that regardless of what it is, otherwise I have to bring the paperwork myself.

So, what's the intention?
- Manual swap it. I have a Tremec T56 kit from Grannas Racing with all the adaptors and brackets sitting in the garage. This will yield me a gearbox that can hold some serious power.
- Supercharge it (or... Supra-Charge it?). This will be a one-off build with a Vortech centrifugal supercharger. Power target is some 350-400 hp with positive intake pressure at idle.
- Mostly stock exterior, maybe front bumper to fit an intercooler, maybe a carbon hood. I'll keep it white and probably add some of the Tom's Supra decals (Castrol red and green!).
- Some really nice seats, rear seat delete, fresh carpeting around the rear instead of the seats.

There may be a bifurcation later, if I can't get it to pass emissions: Then I'll cage it and make a track car out of it, which was the original intention. Possibly find a rusty shell for swapping around stuff.
07-12-2022, 04:58 PM
JDM JZA80 in the Alps
I'm trying out a video format to document the progress on this project ("I'm hip and young now!"). First two episodes are up and public. As I'm new to this, I would be really happy for any and all critique you have on the videos. I want them to be mostly informative and maybe a bit entertaining too.

Also, if you know any reasonable easy-and-quick-ish video editor software, I'd like to hear of it. I made the second video in Shotcut (it's FOSS: shotcut.org), and would like to compare/try out.
07-12-2022, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2022 05:36 PM by banpei.)
JDM JZA80 in the Alps
Subbed and I'll watch the second video later tonight! Thumbs up!
I personally use Finalcut Pro as I'm a Mac user. I purchased it many years ago when I had my own company and needed to edit videos. Prior to that I used iMovie, which is the "free" version of Finalcut Pro with a lot of functionality disabled.
On Windows/Linux I used Lightworks which has many many professional plugins and features, but it crashed regularly. I hear good things about OpenShot from a friend of mine who runs Wasabi Cars, so it must be good. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JDM GT-Apex Trueno in the Alps # decryphe 103 71,478 06-16-2023 08:27 AM
Last Post: decryphe
  Wanted: JDM zenki trueno bumper (with JDM bumper lights) gh0st 0 1,751 10-07-2021 04:08 PM
Last Post: gh0st