JDM GT-Apex Trueno in the Alps #
11-02-2016, 12:51 PM
That looks awesome!
Find all posts by this user
11-06-2016, 10:52 PM
The upholsterer came by on Thursday evening and we removed the seats from the car. He took them with him for sampling the proper colors and fabrics and will then show me the samples before starting with the process. The chairs will get new foam and new fabric plus fresh vinyl on the back of the front seats (the edges are a little torn).

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - JDM GT-Apex Trueno in the Alps #]

This will give me enough space and a lot of time to replace the completely dried out bitumen sheets in the car with something much more modern (the guy doing the upholstery will give me a couple hints for material choice and how to work with the materials). Additionally, I'll be cleaning the rear fenders from the inside to remove all remaining dirt and seal some areas to prevent rust from developing in the first place. Same goes for the trunk in general, which is just bare painted metal with a couple dings and scratches. If I can't find original trunk panelling, I will fabricate it out of some plywood.

Turns out the trunk lid does not need anything more than polish with some rubbing to make it shine like new, plus new replica stickers. Still trying to find one of these old Toyota logo stickers.

Current list:
  • Replace dried out noise insulation and install extra insulation in the trunk.
  • Get the trunk lid polished and install/fabricate some panels in the trunk (they're missing).
  • Get window frames repainted.
  • Rebuild alternator.
  • Wash and clean the engine bay.
  • Register the car.
11-06-2016, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2016 11:12 PM by banpei.)
Which stickers are you looking for? We do sell copies here in the forum shop:
https://shop.aeu86.org/13-toyota-sprinter-trueno

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-07-2016, 07:41 PM
(11-06-2016 11:12 PM)banpei Wrote:  Which stickers are you looking for? We do sell copies here in the forum shop:
https://shop.aeu86.org/13-toyota-sprinter-trueno
Specifically this one:
11-07-2016, 08:01 PM
It seems that the specific sticker you're after is somehow a Japanese original one.... So it will be a PITA to get them....
11-07-2016, 09:24 PM
(11-07-2016 08:01 PM)pack Wrote:  It seems that the specific sticker you're after is somehow a Japanese original one.... So it will be a PITA to get them....
I believe I've seen it on some other Toyota models of the time or slightly older (around '80). This was the official Toyota logo for a short time, before they removed the background and made it just be the text in the same font.

Anyways, all 86 stickers out there nowadays are replicas anyways.
11-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Certainly an interesting variant on the stickers we have seen so far. Haven't seen this one yet. Smile
Would you mind taking detailed photographs of all stickers on your car, and I can see what we can do with that. Perhaps it is possible to do a custom set with this design...

11-08-2016, 10:03 PM
(11-08-2016 08:18 PM)banpei Wrote:  Certainly an interesting variant on the stickers we have seen so far. Haven't seen this one yet. Smile
Would you mind taking detailed photographs of all stickers on your car, and I can see what we can do with that. Perhaps it is possible to do a custom set with this design...
That would be great!
I'll take pictures next time I'm at the garage. Probably not soon though, as I'm heading for two weeks of holidays.
11-09-2016, 10:57 PM
(11-08-2016 10:03 PM)decryphe Wrote:  That would be great!
I'll take pictures next time I'm at the garage. Probably not soon though, as I'm heading for two weeks of holidays.
Great! Thumbs up!

01-15-2017, 11:35 PM
With winter around, Christmas celebrations, work and a couple other projects I have going on, I haven't been able to get much done regarding the car. One small update though, the samples from the upholsterer came in yesterday and here they are:
I selected the 890x4594 and 890x2507 colors to replace the faded cloth of my seats. Pictured are the rear seats which are not faded, but the front seats have almost grey cloth now and the foam beneath is dissolving. I chose that color for its stronger orange as well to accent the seats a little more than before. The brown has the same brown as the seats have now, just a little more saturation as it's new and not faded.
Unfortunately there was no cloth that has the same kind of feel to it, but the new one is nice to the touch as well and with its slight grainyness in color, it doesn't look dirty so fast as a flat color.

Almost crashed my Camry driving 5 hours in the thickest snowfall I've ever driven to get there yesterday. Even the highways were snowcovered. Was braking a little too much in a downhill curve and started going straight instead of around the curve.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JDM JZA80 in the Alps decryphe 15 7,643 07-12-2022 05:35 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Wanted: JDM zenki trueno bumper (with JDM bumper lights) gh0st 0 1,750 10-07-2021 04:08 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Toyota Sprinter AE86 GT-Apex Trueno Skyracer 222 252,711 08-13-2016 12:46 PM
Last Post: Skyracer
  White Kouki Levin Coupe GT-APEX ++As original as possible++ asw 24 40,355 12-28-2010 10:33 AM
Last Post: worholm
  Shinobi-Kun's Kouki Monster TODA GT-APEX LEVIN shinobi 13 16,185 06-23-2008 01:35 AM
Last Post: shinobi