Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork
05-14-2022, 02:00 AM
(02-12-2022 12:08 AM)Ivan141 Wrote:  Had some Breaking Bad like practices going on in the basement

DIY Zinc-Nickel plated the handbrake cable parts and the steering coupling.

Next time I'm at the car again I intend to fit the rear axle + brake cables & lines on it.

Sorry for the stupid question Ivan, but how’d you remove the UJ from the steering coupling???
Find all posts by this user
05-14-2022, 04:53 PM
I rested the ears on a vice clamp and pounded the joint out with a hammer. Might help if you grind the staking off first.
No press required.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-14-2022, 07:15 PM
Thanks pal
07-23-2022, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2022 09:54 PM by Ivan141.)
Havent been too busy the past month (too many things going on in my weekends).
Spent a few days at the garage helping a mate get his KE30 back on the road (front chassis member replacement). Since he is the guy that will be in charge of getting my car ready for paint and probably the painting part too, that was some good karma points. The KE passed inspection thursday so that worked out well.

Today I've finally done something to the 86 again.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork]

Bolted the doors in place temporarily, it helps to have them on there when making things straight. They dont look too bad.. the left one needs some bending in at the bottom corner where I did some welding, the right one might need some subtle tapping down along the top to align with the rooftop a little better.
The brand new hinges are nice and tight compared to the old ones.

I also put the roof bracing in place and filled the gaps with anti-flutter sealant (which takes forever to dry by the way). I also bolted in the 2 temporary roof supports I built to help stiffen things up for sanding etc.. They will need to come off to fit the headliner though, so I hope the roof wont take liters of mud to straighten out.

To do:
-Move the bonnet back from basement to garage (pain in ass.. need a bigger car).
-Find trunklid latch and other bits
-Bolt front together to align all gaps.

To buy:
-Front inner window guide for LH door (got the door without it).
-New weatherstripping for the trunklid. (to help fit the trunklids correctly for bodywork)
-Rubber stripping to put between the fenders and the body (as original, which I had to throw away since it was glued on).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
07-24-2022, 12:16 AM
Looking more like a car Ivan -good work!
07-25-2022, 07:16 AM
Nice progress! Thumbs up!
Good to hear Dennis' KE30 passed the test! And I'm sure he can make your AE86 look like new again! Smile

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
08-13-2022, 10:14 PM
I have new developments to report (huzzah!).
In what can only be described as a minor miracle, my daily driver Civic FN managed to swallow the bonnet of the Levin whole, so I brought it to the shed with me for fit-up.

Together with fellow shed-dweller Dennis we bolted the front together and he got to work adjusting all the shut lines (some pulling and hammering involved).

Here she is more complete than I have seen her since 2010, next to my trusty steed (my MIG welder).

Mounted one of the trunklids too, and you will see where the welder came in play.
The shutline between the right quarter panel and the bottom of the trunklid looked really wonky (probably because this quarter has been replaced once) so I had to weld up the panel to get a somewhat decent reveal.
Looks okay after adding a few mm's to the bottom:

Here's Dennis doing what he does best: body-prep (he's also happens to do this for a living).

It is slow going with these welded arches, this was the result a few hours later. There is a bit of a high spot on both left and right arches that needs to be dealt with.
I have full confidence in his skills to get it done.

While Dennis was off bogging and sanding I tried to apply myself to the bonnet.
After pulling it from the basement I got a better look at the rust peeking from beneath the dried up seam sealer. No bueno. So I opened up the folded seam and gave it a thorough brushing and drenched it in rust converter.

And to finish off the day I re-seam-sealed the whole thing so it will hopefully last a good few years before the rust sets in again (there is no stopping it without pulling the whole thing apart, which is a non-starter for me.

To do:
-Move the bonnet back from basement to garage (pain in ass.. need a bigger car).
-Find trunklid latch and other bits
-Bolt front together to align all gaps.
Panel prep work (metal finish any bumps out of it, sand and paint inside, primer outside):
-Bonnet
-Trunklids
-Doors
-Front fenders

To buy:
-Rear inner window guide for LH door (got the door without it).
-New weatherstripping for the trunklid. (to help fit the trunklids correctly for bodywork)
-Rubber stripping to put between the fenders and the body (as original, which I had to throw away since it was glued on).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
08-13-2022, 10:42 PM
Nice work. Must be satisfying seeing bodywork being done after all the rustrepairs. Another major step towards finishing the car.

ハチロク

08-14-2022, 11:00 PM
Don't talk about Bronox, no no no! Big Grin
I used that to ensure all rust on the brake balance valve on the Carina got sorted. I must say the rust in that seem isn't that bad compared to the state your car used to be in. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
08-15-2022, 10:25 AM
Quote:I must say the rust in that seem isn't that bad compared to the state your car used to be in.
That might have something to do with the fact that this hood is from a kouki 86, as evidenced by the odd colour and the 4AGEC (with catalytic converter) stickers I removed from it. Rusts just the same as the zenki ones, but it started later.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front end roof compatibility between 2dr and 3dr Dochka 11 11,971 01-12-2014 05:50 PM
Last Post: fax0815