Family man's ae86
11-12-2023, 01:06 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2023 01:17 AM by fantapants.)
Family man's ae86
Cant remember lol

So the bus has had some serious upgrade.

I was getting no where with adaptronic ecu and the lack of support online since they were bought by haltech meant I just had no where to turn.

So she got a big birthday.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86]

New link xtreme g4x. New fuel injectors and new returneless fuel system. Also added fuel pressure sensor, and a oil pressure/temp sensor. Along with a map sensor, we now had everything we needed to get good clean data for tuning.

A good mate had offered, if I got a link, to come and help me wire it in and get started on the road tuning. He has a fair bit if personal experiance with them, so it was locked in.

He came down for a week and we got to it

I didn't get as much in the way of documenting as I planned. I have been fighting illness for a few weeks so was just getting through day by day.

The hardest hurdle was fuel. Going to a single returnless feed meant room was a premium. We needed to add the fuel dampener, but needed an adaptor to clear everything.

Made using 2 old wheel nuts, a big washer and modified bolt. Took a day, cos im slow, but didn't leak. Worked flawless from the beginning. So I used a corvette combined fuel filter fpr up the back. Nice and tidy, but I had read they rarely offer up the 58psi they are rated for. Good thing I have the sensor now, cos fuel pressure is 43psi. Lol. But that was the fuel lines done. Injectors were easy enough, just needed some lateral thinking cos the plugs needed rotating to clear the head on 1 and 4.

Idxle control valve all finished off. It currently only draws from up near the throttle trumpet. Ill sort a little filter asap.

Then we dumped the oil, threw in the oil sensor and a new filter and topped her up with some nulon finest.

Oh map sensor was added. Something to do with balancing fuel pressure with the intenral pressure (or vac) of the engine. I dont really know, but the tuning mate said it was a good idea lol.

Mate derek had been wazzing away at the wiring, spending a day and a half tidying up my power wiring. The loom itself for the engine was actually fine. But my fused power stuff was a bit agricultural lol.

So after getting that nailed down, it was ready for first start.[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

So because this is a bit of mongrel engine, gen 4 fwd 3sge single vvti, the standard 3sge rwd dual beams base maps weren't too useful. Plus quads

So we used dereks tune from his very stout 4age 20v. He gets 130rwkw from the little 1.6, so a very similar outright number to what we expect from this bigger 2l.

This first start is that tune untouched (just the fuel supply data changed for pressure and flow etc)

https://youtube.com/shorts/Zb40pDUmgKE?s...ecZCEzQqE6

It was REMARKABLY good. Like, perfect.

Did a leak check and did some small laps of the block and it ran awesome. The tune was maybe 3% rich at times, but nothing major

So then onto road tuning......

And we both got very sick lol. So a couple days feeling sorry for ourselves and we headed out road tuning.

Near me im lucky enough to have a bunch of quiet country roads and a decent hill climb, 15km of switchbacks and steady rises to put the motor through its paces

This was the first time we saw a big difference with the tune, as the extra capacity down low under full throttle and big load meant big changes.

But still, she performed flawlessly.

Even got to show derek some of the culturally significant road side art instalation tassie offers ;p

Oh nearly forgot, I found my original timing cover. So pissed off the home made jobby and gave this a tidy up. Also double checked the true tdc values.[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Family man's ae86]

During the adventures it became apparent I am in desperate need of a rear wheel alignment. The passenger wheel is getting absoktueky destroyed. So next adventure is to source some adjustable arms.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

clutch kick, switch, tree .... oowwww
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Banpei's new TA60 family cruiser banpei 276 236,964 03-14-2024 06:06 PM
Last Post: banpei