Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork
01-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Í bought some mounting gear, am going to look for a nice spot to install it tomorrow. I just realized i should have put the 2 fittings on the side of the can in stead of on top..the tubing will have to make an awkward bend now, oh well, I'll see how it works out.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-18-2005, 02:56 PM
AAARghhh..
I was just mounting the catchcan, and the bolt broke off Sad
Serves me right for thinking that using a random new bolt would work better. That thing snapped like a twig. Now I'll have to get it out...maybe drill a bigger hole so I can put in a stronger bigger bolt...the mount I'm using has to carry a lot more weight than before..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Hey Ivan,

Now that looks very familiar in some kind of way.... I just did the same thing when I decided to opt for a oil catch can myself, I also looked at the Senseo container, but found that if one put some vacuum on it it would collapse under presure, as I want to keep the PCV function in the 4age and have a drain back to the sump. I opted for this.

I'm still thinking about how to mount it nicely, how did you do it, or planned to.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork]
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork]

the brass stuff is just normal Gas and water plumbing stuff cheap and Thumbs up! .

It's a very rare Heineken alloy bottle Called "paco" with made out of very thick alloy material, some 1mm pressed plate, I put 10bar negative presure on it out of a testing vacuum pump and it held whitout problem,

Don't get me wrong I also do have a senseo at home for during building cars, however after building cars I want BEER Thumbs up! !

grtz Thomas

good luck with your's!

ps, quick offtopic question, can I take a good rpm signal form the - on the ignition coil? or do I need to splice in somewhere in the loom, if so which colour or abreviation has this wire got?

My car weighs only 496 kilograms with the 4age in place!
01-18-2005, 05:13 PM
great that the springs are fine than i want them back when your done :-)

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
Find all posts by this user
01-18-2005, 05:39 PM
I doubt that the can will implode, I've seen plastic bottles used for the same purpose, connected to the intake manifold as well..without problems.
I plan to mount it using the mount for the econometer switch, I made a custom mount out of stainless steel that attaches to this mount. Problems are that the mount uses 1 bolt only, and I dont know how it will hold up to the extra weight. If it fails I'll drill a bigger hole so I can use larger bolts to keep it in place, and weld some reinforcement to the bracket (or copy it in heavier metal).

I dunno about the RPM signal...look it up in the wiring schematics in the manual...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-18-2005, 06:44 PM
All will go probably well because of the drain pipe back to the sump, but when 2 pipes are full of oil the vacuum might crash the tank, however this is not likely to happen I wanted to be absolutly sure and liked the heineken bottle.

I know of at least one who had used a Karvan Cevitam "ranja" tin can, it didn't do very well, as he accelerated out of a corner oil spalshing blocke the drain pipe and it blew up or in to be exact.

grtz thomas

01-18-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm not planning on connecting that drain pipe any time soon, I dont have an extra hole in the sump.
I think the can I'm using will prove a bit stronger than a sirup container, since this one is a one piece design, you cant crush this one with your hands for instance. I dunno if it's made of stainless steel or tin, but my guess is the first.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Sorry man My bad, I thought this was one of those crap tin cans Which you get when you buy yours truely "senseo crema" must learn to read better, anyway I think I'll also get some hoseclips and try to get it in the car that way.

Nice piccie with the pipes on the side,

btw If you want a sump with Banjo bolt in the side, just get a sump from an mr2 they all had the oil cooler, and thus the drain pipe can be fitted,
Do you perhaps know SJMR2? he's almost allways offering mr2 parts on marktplaats, he probably will have one for (interesting amount (read much) array of parts in his shed.

grtz thomas

01-18-2005, 07:55 PM
No need, ae86's have oil coolers as well..I'd have to make an extra hole anyway, I dont really see the need for it. I only go sliding about once every month.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-19-2005, 12:05 AM
//hijack
SJMR2 is the one i owe my hachi to. He warned me about the 86 on marktplaats when jasper offered it.
//

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extrordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front end roof compatibility between 2dr and 3dr Dochka 11 11,971 01-12-2014 05:50 PM
Last Post: fax0815