Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork
11-15-2021, 09:59 AM
Nice one Ivan, steady does it. Smile
Find all posts by this user
11-27-2021, 10:50 PM
Today's progress (for lack of a better word):
Sprayed the wheel tubs with 3M rubberized stone chip coating.
The raptor liner beneath it is strong enough to withstand street use but I wanted some additional noise insulation.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork]

Remembered to bring the fuel tank gaskets this time, so I finished off the tank.
My new fuel pump bracket came painted matte black, but I have very little faith in the longevity of toyota's paint, so I slapped some 2k black over it.

Same goes for the sender unit (this got a dose of rust converter first):

Pouring out a little bit of paint is quite difficult, so after the brackets were painted I still had 3/4 of my mixed paint left in the gun. Sprinted to my big box of zink plated brackets and grabbed some stuff to empty the gun on.
The little spots are a combination of solvent pop and dust.. serves me right for painting on the floor and in a hurry. But they are well protected from rust without the paint so I'm not too fussed.

Here is the assembled unit. I glued the old protection pads on with some special body trim glue. Got the orientation of one wrong but who cares eh?

Mounting the thing will have to wait till I get myself a bit of new fuel hose

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-28-2021, 08:52 PM
Progress!

AE86 Levin
12-18-2021, 12:20 AM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2021 12:25 AM by Ivan141.)
Had a bit of a marathon today.
Started out with scuffing up the engine bay, and painting it over with the gunmetal metallic and some 2k clear. This is the one place where the gunmetal remains visible so I wanted it shiny. Did not do a perfect job, but good enough for a noob painting at 8 deg C using a mini spraygun with a 0.8 nozzle (where 1.2 is recommended).

Finally had my Gates Barricade fuel line in (both in-tank and regular), so I replaced the fuel pump to bracket hose and every other rubber fuel line on the car.
Cleaned up the tank vent contraption:
Fuel line hookups.. that one bracket is a fail, should take it off to clean it up.
I'm sure either the pump or the sender will give me grief someday, so I'll get to it then.

The money shot (quite literal knowing what I spent on this):

The filler neck is not perfectly centered but it will do. This is due to a combination of replica tank, and my new chassis rail interfering with the tank fitment a tiny bit.
Will make something with my 3d printer sometime to make it look like it was intended that way.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
12-21-2021, 04:45 PM
Nice! What’s next?

AE86 Levin
12-21-2021, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2021 05:55 PM by Ivan141.)
While I can still spin it around:
-Fab up some exhaust and gearbox heatshields
-Fit the front crossmember, and (ugly old) front stuts & rear axle so I can put it back on it's wheels.
-Refitting or fabbing the splash guard that shields the tank filler neck area from water and rubbish ingress.
-Shoot some more cavity wax into hard to reach corners and turn the car so it can seep into the seams.

Also have smaller jobs left and right that need doing:
-Refurbish the driveshaft (sadly affordable new bearings are out of stock everywhere, will have to reuse the old one since Toyota charges $390).
-Assemble my refurbished rear axle.

Once the car is on 4 wheels again it's bodywork time.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
12-22-2021, 08:57 PM
Why not have a single piece drive shaft made? I’ve got one as well and in my opinion it works very well.

AE86 Levin
12-25-2021, 11:17 AM
Looking good Ivan

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
01-01-2022, 09:16 PM
What better way to celebrate the new year than to tinker on the ol' dungheap again.

Last time I had a stab at building a heat shield from some embossed aluminiuim. Quite challenging to get as sturdy as I want it, so I will have to redo this with some thicker aluminium strips for structural support.

Not pictured but did happen: Sprayed a whole lot more cavity wax around the roof, trunk and rear arches area.

Next I wanted to have some more tangible progress so I proceeded to slap on some shiny parts:

Looking good IMO.

I was a bit upset about the amount of play between the new LCA bushings and the LCA bolts. There is almost a mm of play between the 2 of those. I get the feeling it's like this from factory but it feels kind of sloppy.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-01-2022, 09:22 PM
That's a good New Year's resolution! And the work looks good! Thumbs up!

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front end roof compatibility between 2dr and 3dr Dochka 11 11,973 01-12-2014 05:50 PM
Last Post: fax0815