Is there a How to: for changing gearbox and LSD oil?
04-26-2005, 02:23 AM
Hi Guys,

I've tried searching and can't seem to find anything with pictures.
Does anyone have any pics or a link to what needs to be done? Sorry if this sounds real nub..but I never used to change transmission fluid in my Honda...and it didn't have an lsd...so...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx in advance.

Trueno for sale!
Find all posts by this user
04-26-2005, 07:01 AM
The LSD oil is changed at the rear axle. If you lift your car up you see the oil drain plug underneath and the fill plug on the top side, a bit tilted towards the rear. I think that you fill oil up untill it starts to flow over, somwhere around 0.7 liters for the AE86 if i'm not mistaken.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Is there a How to: for chan...d LSD oil?]
04-26-2005, 11:49 AM
mykkk,

Widar is right, there is a drain nut on the bottom of the axle and a filler nut half way to the top. Always first unscrew the filler nut before unscewing the drain nut, simple reason for this is that if you let all the oil out and then find out that you can't unscrew the filler nut, you wont be very happySmile

You need to add about 1,3 liters of LSD oil, not 0.7 as widar sais. Simply fill it up until it starts coming back out through the filler nut.

Make sure you get oil that is specifically made for LSDs, normal diff oil will not be good for the life of your LSD.

With the gearbox you have to be carefull that you don't use GL5 oil because it contains something that will harm your synchro's, so go for a GL4 gearbox oil. Same principle as the rear axle, there is a filler nut halfway up the gearbox and there is a drain nut on the bottom of the gearbox. Open the filler nut, then the drain nut, drain out the oil, close the drain nut, fill the gearbox until the oil comes back out the filler nut and then close her up and you are done.

I'll see if I can get some pictures for you tonight..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
04-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Mux, if your going to do some wrenching one of these days, let me know, I want to change my engine and gearbox oil again. Need to keep the ol' hachi in shape you know, the engine oil is atleast 6 months old, and the gearbox oil hasnt been changed in god knows how long..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Ivan,

I just did my engine oilSmile I have still got to do the gearbox oil but I'm not to worried about that, the oil is supposed to last the lifetime of the car, it can't hurt to change it after 20 years but whether it really matters... maybe since we bring our cars to the track it can't hurt at all...

I'll most likely be at Roubos at friday putting my spare gearbox in the DeLorean.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
04-26-2005, 02:49 PM
mux213 Wrote:You need to add about 1,3 liters of LSD oil, not 0.7 as widar sais. Simply fill it up until it starts coming back out through the filler nut.

Make sure you get oil that is specifically made for LSDs, normal diff oil will not be good for the life of your LSD.
Ahh.. 1.3 liters it is. Tired mind acting up on me. Smile

Thanks for the correction!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Is there a How to: for chan...d LSD oil?]
04-26-2005, 03:27 PM
BTW, gearbox oil is NOT supposed to last a lifetime...I dont know of any oil that lasts that long.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
04-26-2005, 11:06 PM
thanks for the inputs guys.

mux if u dont mind posting some pictures of the locations of the bolts that would be great!

also, where is the water temperature sensor located..?

Thx!

Trueno for sale!
04-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Water temperature sensor should be somewhere on the back of the cilinder head. There are a few connectors back there, I think a brown one and a green one...one of them is the water temp sensor.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
04-26-2005, 11:18 PM
As for the watertemp. in the AE86: It sux big time! It measures on the water going IN the engine, and not whats comming OUT the engine... Therefore the temp. gauge wont show a thermostat faliure... Huh
Im about to mount another watertemp sensor directly in the engineblock and then a gauge in the centerconsole.

Youtube Myspace and I´ll Google your Yahoo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gearbox mount and transmission mount gh0st 9 2,672 05-08-2022 03:28 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Gearbox and Diff options MIGGZFSU 35 24,721 03-26-2017 12:00 AM
Last Post: MIGGZFSU
  Changing distributor when carb 4age izanagi 14 13,960 07-04-2016 03:27 PM
Last Post: Uzelac
  T50 gearbox - TRD 2nd and 3rd gear hachirokkos 3 6,071 11-27-2015 10:06 AM
Last Post: Project D