Irish spec Charmant
10-13-2008, 01:42 AM
Irish spec Charmant
Engine in, Loom in, Clutch and brake pedal boxes cut up and ready to go in, I have some detail pics of the pedal setup so people wont have to be guessing what has to be done anymore, took my own approach to the pedal assembly.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Irish spec Charmant]

Right, So was looking at the pedal box in the charmant and the brake and clutch pedal box are attached to each other and attached to the steering column mount/support, its one big assembly like....
I knew that I'd have to put in a hydraulic clutch pedal assembly, master cylinder and all that, so I took out the clutch assembly from the cam and eyed it up, it was similar to the charmant assembly barring the facts that it had the hydraulic fittings and was a solitary piece, ie; not attached to the brake assembly or anything else. I compared both further and came to a conclusion. Ill use pictures for this part.

On the left of this picture is the ae86 clutch pedal and brake assemblies, and on the right, the pedal/steering column assembly from the a35 (charmant) You can see that they are almost identical except for mounting positions.

So I had an idea.
I knew fitting the clutch pedal assembly would be awkward at best and that it would probably be easiest to use the brake pedal assembly from the ae86 too because they would go together easily, as opposed to trying to fit it around the normal a35 assembly.
I cut the brakes and clutch pedals assemblies off the steering column assembly like so,

This meant I could now use the assemblies from the ae86. The picture below shows how the assemblies would now sit in the car, the pedals side by side and the steering column mount above.

So that was sweet, I offered all the gear up to see how it looked......
Sickened. The pedals were all over the place, everything was pushed over on to the accelerator pedal.
So I thought, will the charmant pedals fit in the cam assemblies?? Of course they would!

Charmant pedal on top, cam below,

The brake pedals were they same so I horsed it all in like that, and bam, I more or less have a hydraulic clutch setup in the car, barring drilling 1 medium hole and 2 small holes to fit the master cylinder in the bulkhead.
I also had to cut the cable holder off the charmant clutch pedal in order to fit it in the cam pedal box.

Here are all the bolts you need to remove to get the charmant pedal/column assembly out,

The first pic are the holes above the rack behind the clocks almost, (4 bolts)

The second pic are the bolts on the firewall down behind the pedals, (4 bolts)

The third pic is the bolt above the pedal that is above the rack before you take it off, (1 bolt)

Hope this helps out some people here doing the same clutch conversion as myself, Ill get pics of the whole lot properly fitted asap.

Bonus picture; my exhaust is underground.

Find all posts by this user
10-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Irish spec Charmant
Wow! Nice progress! Thumbs up!
Lucky enough I bought a hydrolic clutch assembly for a TA40. But of course the Charmant was not delivered with hydrolic clutch...

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Irish spec Charmant
My god, changing an engine on the driveway, with all the gravel etc must be a hell of a job Smile
10-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Irish spec Charmant
It was a pain in the balls! We put down some wood when we put the 4ag in the charmant! Lesson learned!
11-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Irish spec Charmant
I found this thread through speedhunters.

I'm a 4AGE Charmant owner here in Malaysia, would love to see and read more updates on yours! Keep it coming! Nice thread! Thumbs up!
11-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Irish spec Charmant
Hi there, Is my car on speedhunters??
Some small updates recently, the weather has been bad and being an outdoor engine swap its dictated by that,

Had to get a new subframe and steering rack, a rhd manual setup,
got extra lock tierods and am looking for p/s knuckles,

I need fuel lines too as one of mine is kinked badly,

I am half way through the wiring, only the hard parts left! Running on advice from more experienced friends I need to send power to the 4ag ecu, starter motor and coil, Im keeping both looms for neatness, eg; I can keep the inside of the car original, same switches and lights and gauges, Ill power both looms basically but the charmant starter wires and coil wires will go to the 4ag starter motor and ecu/coil, a relay switch for the ecu/coil..... sounds complicated.....

I mated the charmant axle to the 4ag by using the front half of the 4ag prop shaft and the rear half of the charmant prop shaft. I have to repair the t series axle.... It had trd 2way diff and 4.7 cwp but there is a bad knock, Im having trouble getting rhs halfshaft out so I cant see what is broken yet but I suspect a tooth is broken on the cwp,

Bought a set of ssr mesh in gold, 15 x 8 -12.... might sell them again....

I got negative camber rca's so the front end is gonna look mean and be really stable when drifting/diffing......

My brother and I will be making some rca's/ncrca's soon so anyone interested mail me, I might put up a separate thread for them....

Thats all so far, more updates soon!
11-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Irish spec Charmant
Hey!! Nice project Smile Will you be parting out this Trueno (or whats left from it Big Grin) If so - let me know - i need few LHD parts Big Grin Also - wheels - if you sell them - intrested too Big Grin

Ex-owner of JDM 83' Trueno Coupe
DCw Classic, classic cars restoration,
JDM wheels & parts import, sales.

http://www.facebook.com/DogCustomWorks
+37067170000
11-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Irish spec Charmant
What you need?
11-29-2008, 02:14 AM
Irish spec Charmant
SUPER PROJECT!

CORONA like it))

Rising Sun T
11-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Irish spec Charmant
mouwt Wrote:Hi there, Is my car on speedhunters??
Yep... That was me... Tongue
Discussion was about a Carina AA63 and someone mentioned that the Carina looked like a Charmant and the discussion turned into 4AGE converted Charmants. So of course I had to place a link to the reuse of the good ol' Trueno. Wink

You can find it here:
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2008/11/...-pt-2.aspx

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A60 Daihatsu Charmant DarkSupra 37 16,024 03-14-2023 10:36 AM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Charmy Charmant Allexz 13 14,664 03-16-2016 09:43 PM
Last Post: banpei
  20v Kp Irish spec conal g 5 8,434 12-06-2011 12:07 AM
Last Post: conal g
  Irish Touring car AE86 moons657 10 15,712 07-04-2011 07:20 PM
Last Post: moons657
  THE STORY! - Endurance Racing a Prelude Spec S in Japan! Miguel - Newera 3 5,702 08-26-2009 02:43 PM
Last Post: Kid Karola