Impreza Group-N project.
12-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Impreza Group-N project.
Ok, I did notice that bar was missing, I will ask my friend at MSP if we can weld it in before we start, your not the first one who has brought it up so it must be an important bar to have.
Although I was not planning on rolling it. Wink

The current color scheme you can see a few posts above these, the Lambo grey and then non-metallic and semi-gloss.
Orange interior with grey upholstery.

Oh, and I haven't decided on the wing yet, I'm not to fond of them actually. Tongue

So you build rallycars in Australia then?
Maybe we can chat a bit on MSN, it's always nice to talk to someone with experience. Thumbs up!
Find all posts by this user
12-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Impreza Group-N project.
i havent built many on my own, me and my boss have built a few Gc wrx's (me doing the labouring jobs -like bolt it all together!- while he does the special fabrication and the engine building/tuning)

i do however know imprezas and subarus (88 liberty's/legacy's to present) like the back of my hand, working 6 days a week for 4 years on the things you learn abit about them, and a quality bit of kit when you see it Smile

the car i ws servicing on this yr was leading into the final round, only to hit a big rock on SS1, tearing out a strut bolt Sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBXX--ZF3f4 watch watch :wink:
12-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Impreza Group-N project.
mc68 Wrote:i do however know imprezas and subarus (88 liberties to present) like the back of my hand,

Hi!
Maybe You can answer my question. I would like to put in NA Impreza car the transmission (diffs and LSD) of sti (gc). Which parts I have to change? How hard it will be?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Impreza Group-N project.
Well, my red car was a NA Impreza when it was born so I know a little bit about this also.

But first, do you want to swap the internals or the complete diffs and gearbox?

In case of the complete parts:

If you want to put in a 5 speed you should only have to change the gearboxsubframe.

If you want to put in the 6 speed (but the GC never had those) then you will have to cut out two bulges on the inside of the tunnel just beneath the firewall, the 6 speed won't fit in between them.

The rear end depends on if you have a fwd or a 4wd version of the NA car.
If you have a 4wd version you can bolt it on with no problems I think.
I changed my rear subframe at the time but i think the NA subframe will do also.
You will probably have to change all 4 driveshafts, the turbo rear diffs have different inserts then a non turbo version.

The fwd version will give more problems, the tank, subframes, hubs etc. will need to be changed.

I hope this is of any help. Smile
12-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Impreza Group-N project.
as said above, it depends if its 4wd or fwd.

if you are planning to put an sti transmission into an NA impreza (you didnt mention if you are changing the engine with it)

The diferences would be;
Cable clutch
Fuel tank (if 2wd)
Rear subframe, upwrights and struts (if 2wd)
The NA 4wd's had a tiny rear diff, but the R160/180 still fits in the rear cradle
tailshaft to suit the diff you are putting in (i assume R160, but GC RA's came with R180's sooo?)
the drive shafts will need to be changed to suit the front and rear diff (the front hubs will take most drive shafts of the gc era -they didn't change-, but the rears will be very diferent, and require the hubs to suit the driveshafts that suit the diff you are putting in)

with a subaru everything bolts in, its just a matter of having the right bits to do it Smile

and dinges, ive put many 6 speeds in gc8's, and they fit in the tunnel with no mods at all, got a pic of the bulges you speak of?
12-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Impreza Group-N project.
Andy,

Normal turbo GC8 body's is no problem, but I had a 1.8 non-turbo chassis, there are 2 bulges.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Impreza Group-N project.]

This is the best picture I have, I didn't take any while removing them.
12-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Impreza Group-N project.
i also have a sub 98er turbo with a vf 23 setup by EMS

are you on the subaru forum?

Greetz Dennis

Burn rubber and not your soul
12-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Impreza Group-N project.
Yip,

I'm dinges on there too. Wink
And you?
12-11-2007, 12:36 AM
Impreza Group-N project.
I also got a nice Impreza, currently undergoing registration process.
It will be my main Demo car for next year.

It actually looks quite similar to yours, but still top secret.

What kind of wheels with which Offset will you run with the wide fenders?
I am encountering some serious problems to find some matching ones without spacers.

This was my previous one. Rather stock on the outside but seriously fast on the inside. Cool Cool Cool

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Impreza Group-N project.]

All kind of swaps are possible on the Imprezas.
We have done some transmissions so far. But mostly on to Turbo versions.
Please also switch to a nice engine.

Speed Industries
Hurdnerwaeldlistr. 73
8808 Pfaeffikon
Switzerland
e-mail: [email protected]
phone: +4155 420 15 69
page: http://www.speed-industries.ch
MSN: [email protected]

We have all the parts your Hachi needs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Impreza Group-N project.
mc68 Wrote:and dinges, ive put many 6 speeds in gc8's, and they fit in the tunnel with no mods at all, got a pic of the bulges you speak of?

Hmm, I just remembered, my chassis is not a GC8 but a GC6, I think there lies the difference.

Oh, and my name is Aram. Wink

@Speed-inc.

I'm very curious on your car, when can you post up some pics??? Smile

About my car:

I will fill the wide fenders by changing the offset.
At first I wanted wider suspension arms because I thought that is what the WRC had, but after informing I was told that the Group-A/WRC cars also worked with different offset, so I'll do the same. Thumbs up!

But which offset I'm not sure yet, I think I will decide when the fenders are fixed on the car itself.

Spacers are out of the question, but adapters might do the trick if the correct offset is not obtainable with just the wheels.

The engine will stay a 2.5 but I might change the internals a bit.
My goal is between 400/450hp ish, and as much torque as possible. Cool
I dont really care about the outcome of the horsepower figure, but I do want to have a very flat torque curve and very quick spoolup, top-end power I don't care for, cornering is what I like and that is what I'm building the car for.
There's nothing like having a sh*tload of torque ready when your coming out of a corner. Respect!

Is your just a showcase or do you use it on circuits also?
And what have you done to your car?

greets

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1984 Celica turbo b-group restoration Roger 8 9,480 04-24-2010 05:09 PM
Last Post: corolla4agze