Imagine
07-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Imagine
Slight problem with the cars mentioned in the 2 previous posts,,,,they are fwd
My house mate drives a mint 1.9 205 GTI, I drive it all the time & I think its poo Undecided
You just cant beat an 86

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas
Find all posts by this user
07-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Imagine
Not sure it is only the weight though. RWD, LSD, the 4AGE - first 16V engine (still making people happy after 23 years) AND the weight cannot be seen in another car being so practical as well.
318is comes close ... but its heavy and unreliable. This counts too for me.

Talking bout FWD - its another story.

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Imagine
@NoHachi: If you would look for a low-budget car that has the same performance and fun-factor of a ae86, what car would you recommend? Or is the ae86 the answer using the "bang for buck" approach?

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extrordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
07-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Imagine
The ae86 was a low budget car back in the 80's..by now they are highly (over?) priced semi-classics..

Discarding a car purely based on WWD/RWD usually says more about drivingskill then the driving concept..Pushin a twitchy FWD to the limits, constantly fighting snap oversteer and inducing it through left foot braking is INTENSE..And a lot of the cars reward you with a fast pace..Must admit that I'm not that good, and also prefer to steer the car with the throttle. That says more about me as a driver then the FWD concept.

But it would be a shame to let this thread drift to a FWD vs RWD discussion..What I meant to say was the "feel" of these cars..and you must admit that the CRX and 205 are much closer to the ae86 in feel then any modern day car. So in response to El camino...no the weight isn't the only factor..but it is the most important one, and the one that we have lost in cheap modern cars. The weight is not only in airbags but in safety structures all round the car.. You cannot sell a car without these..families buy new cars, not 20 year olds with dreams of racing.

Current cheap cars with fun factor? Pug 106GTi/rallye, miata, 325i, saxo, corrado, crx, ITR, civic Vti, 924S, 944 (ok maybe not so cheap), charade Gtti, clio williams, mr2..just the usual suspects. Anything with enough power, a light chassis and enough room to stuff some serious rubber underneath. Totally different then the ae86, but still alot of fun..unless the drifting fad has totally killed any automotive heart you might have had.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
07-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Imagine
you are again right Smile

yes the saxo VTs and 106gti are not rwd bud still fun to drive on track.
and i think its the replacement for the ae86 in modern times.
the weight is not all, another point is weight distributionSad
yous saves alot with abs, aircondition, airbags around, electrical anything... and that are things not present in low end models as fabia 1,2Smile
the heavier and stiffer chassis is only improvement, hor handling.

problem today:
-the GT specs cars today have this things automaticaly and it push the price and weight up.
-modern small cheap car platforms are only for fwd trim.
(30 years behind it was rwd with solid axleSmile
-no suited transmisions today
-and rear axles

one assumption for cheap car are mass production, it is impossible today to sell milions of small(light cars) with rear wheel drive.small car with same layout as ae86 would be automaticaly expensive today.
ae86 is only better version of an late 70s small car,so it was relatively cheap

but i still think it is realistic to make it around 20-25t euro

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
07-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Imagine
Weight distribution has little to do with it...The CRX was terrible in that respect, but totally slaughtered the AE86 back in the day..90% of the magic is purely in the weight..The feeling that the car will change direction when you want it and where you want it...

07-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Imagine
ok, ok.

also what you think about.

skoda fabia HTP1,2 with RS suspension and brakes, and 1,8 20v NA engine. Smile

CRX has 70-80kg weight advantage?

07-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Imagine
The skodia has maybe 100kg more then the rex and a lot higher centre of gravity..also don't forget that both the RS suspension and 1.8 engine will add weight also. You'd end up with another 1100 kg econobox, which these days isn't to bad actually...There are only a couple of cars I would consider buying these days..and the smart roadster is on top of that list..

Seing them discontinue that car from the line up has me convinced that the good old lightweight days will never return..Manufacturers that do try something using modern alloys and technology just get shot down. I heard that some crazy russian guy has bought the rights to the car and is planning on producing them with the new mitsubishi colt engine and gearbox...
That means no more flappy paddle shift and possibly a CZT engine option..I know what I'll be driving in 3 years! Hope this goes through, because this cars chassis is a jem..100kg lighter then an AE86 and even more fun and grip.

07-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Imagine
Guys i think you forgot the car that is in the same direction with the Hachi.
Honda S2000.

- it is RWD
- its engine revs in high rpm
- it has LSD
- it has great feeling when you drive it

But again

It cant make you smille like a hachi...
07-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Imagine
i compared the weight of CRX to AE86 Wink in case of track determination.

i want daily driver, big aviability of parts, econo box with fun factor and practicality thats all.

isnot the AE86 also econo box? only his age make it expensive to be daily driven.parts after many of km and usage are prone to cracking.
with the new car you have not this problem