Ian.G's Track/Drift Levin.
03-14-2012, 10:09 PM
The chaps where my car is measured the disks today

Diameter: 258mm[Mike]  Yes. 

Disk thickness 9mm [Mike]  Measured at 9.2mm currently - so likely 10mm when new

Overall Disk Height: 46.5mm (likely 47mm)[Mike]  Yes 
Centre Bore: 68mm (there is a spacer ring in there as the centre bore of the disk is slightly bigger than the centre of the AE86 hub it alligns to)[Mike]  - anyone know the diameter of the ring on the rear hub a standard disk sits on ? 68mm with the ring on (which doesn't quite bridge the gap between hub and wheel) measured centre hub of actual disc 60mm.

Stud Pattern 4x113.4 PCD[Mike]  Yes. 

Bren from apex performance thinks they are JDM 180sx - most places stock a 266mm for these and that is too big

There also appears to be a disk for a Nissan almera or primera that is 258mm but need to check the height, centre bore and PDC to be sure

Regards Ian.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Ian.G's Track/Drift Levin.]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-15-2012, 12:00 AM
You might want to read up here:
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/ae86-rear...ht=primera

and do some more searches for primera on the forums...

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
03-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Hey folks,

bit of progress for you on the car:

On Tuesday the car passed MOT and is now allowed back on the road again Hurray! Hurray! Hurray!

This was a very emotional moment - I had to drive 30miles each way to the test centre and nothing fell off the car and it kept running perfectly.

As you know I've had some braking issues which we couldn't track down.

* We did everything we could to disprove a broken brake servo - this is working perfectly.
* I got a master cylinder rebuild kit - but - I'm not going to use this because I think there isn't anything wrong with what is there.
* Spoke to Gabe over at T3 where my wilwood brake kit came from - I was concerned it was the larger piston sizes in the wilwood calipers causing a larger amount of fluid and the little 13/16ths standard master cylinder not being able to cope - this used to be the case with the first wilwood kit that T3 did with 300mm disks and larger pistons - the kit I have is their second version of the kit that uses 280mm disks and calipers with piston sizes that work better with the std master cylinder setup on an ae86 - so its not that either...

Having just spoken to brother betty I think we have a hunch as to what is happening now. On a normal ae86 the outputs to the front brakes normally go into a valve after which it splits and goes to the calipers....my current setup is like this:

so there is just a banjo splitter straight from the master cylinder output and these go straight to the calipers - the standard toyota valves are not there anymore. I 'think' these valves work as a residual pressure valve which keep some pressure built up on the brake side of the brake line - and - because of this the effort required on the pedal is greatly reduced as a lot of pressure stays in the line. In the current new setup these valves are not pressure so most of the pressure can leave the brake line - then - when you push the pedal a larger/longer push is required to get the pressure back into the line so the pistons can be pushed in. Just a hunch - but it sounds technically plausible.

So - I think I either need to:

1. Try and re-plumb the brake system so it uses the standard toyota valves in the hope that this will do what I describe above.
2. Obtain some after market residual pressure valves and put them into each of the front brake lines so they have the same effect. You can see what I mean here - in fact I had to run some of these valves on my old westfield to get rid of some pedal travel in the past but I had completely forgotten about it.

At least we have some options to look at now - I'm not convinced I need to go for a bigger master cylinder.

Will let you know how that goes.

So nice to be able to drive this car after soooo long....and...its really very fast now too.

Regards Ian.
03-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Congrats getting it back on the road!!! Hurray!
03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Just to confirm, the latter style T3 kit works fine with the residual pressure valve in place. Brake travel like was like stock, but braking much improved once those willwood pads come up to temp.

Congrats on getting an MOT! can we expect some incar footage soon?

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
03-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks!

as soon as I can get some confidence in the brakes I will get a camera mounted up in the car and go for a rip for you.

I think once I get these pressure valves back into the system it will cure the current issue with the brakes - or - I sure hope so as I'm running out of ideas otherwise.

I just need to check that I can find all the old brake parts in my garage or we will have to go with aftermarket residual pressure valves maybe from somebody like Wilwood.

Regards Ian.
04-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Quick update guys.

After looking over the technical side of the brakes I no longer think I need to place any of the valving back. On the standard car the front bulkhead block is just a line splitter. The rear line bulkhead block is a pro portioning valve - I have one of this in the cockpit on the back brakes so I can adjust it myself.

The brake booster is not leaking air - so - I can only think the seals within the two circuits (or maybe just the front considering how much I've decreased the bias to the rear) on the mater cylinder are shot - its six years since it was last used after all.

MS rebuild kit on order as you can buy a complete cylinder any more. Once it's in will let you guys know if the long pedal and shite stopping power issue is fixed.

Also had confirmation that my wilwood calipers have smaller pistons that work ok with the volume of fluid movement generated by the standard master cylinder - no need for me to upgrade to something bigger - if I'd had the 300mm kit from T3 they have larger pistons and therefore require more fluid movement generated by a bigger master cylinder.

Regards Ian.
04-03-2012, 10:01 PM
It can also pay off to have the entire brake system pressure-filled.
Have had some difficulties getting all the air out of the rear lines in the past, you'd be amazed how long air can keep coming out if it's been completely empty.
I've never heard of leaks between master cylinder chambers, although it is entirely possible. But you'd expect the rear seal to have gone too, in which case you'd get the tell tale MC-is-toast air bubbles while pumping.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
04-05-2012, 02:57 PM
More updates on the brakes - still waiting on the master cylinder kit - but - there is a chap on ebay (yes_toyota) who can actually still get hold of brand new master cylinders - toyota have discontinued them now so its worth remembering. This chap can source parts from all over the world so very very useful.

Also - I've been having troubles trying to figure out what the back disks are on my car as it has the calipers moved outwards on brackets to use 258mm disks. We did think these were from a JDM 180SX which are hard to get in the UK - the other option is an Nissan S14 200sx back disk but they need to have the PCD re-drilled.

From research I now 'think' the disks are actually from a 1982-1983 Nissan 280ZX so ordered a set today

The dimensions and stud pattern are:

Europe: 02/1980 To 09/1982 280ZX
USA: 1982-1983 280ZX
Diameter: 258 mm (10.15 inch)
Height: 47 mm (1.86 inch)
Thickness (nominal): 10 mm (0.39 inch)
Thickness (minimum): 9 mm (0.35 inch)
Hub Reg (center hole): 68 mm (2.68 inch)
Bolt size: M12x1.25 (10.75 mm diameter)
Bolt circle: 4 on 4.5" (114.3 mm)

The exact dimensions of what I have...found the details on them here

I am pretty sure my back brake kit is 'similar' to one of the ones you can still buy on Yahoo Japan auctions - e.g. here

Maybe this will help someone else in the future - I'll let you know when they arrive and we fit them up.

Regards Ian.
04-05-2012, 04:48 PM
280ZX / Bluebird (910) / Silvia (S110 / S12) :
(The kit on yahoo is definitly this one, look at the holes position)

Could have been one for Almera II (N16) / Primera (P10 / P11) too:

(Source of the images: http://bremboaftermarket.com)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Track AE86 Build from south america Nurburgring 3 7,638 10-30-2013 07:31 PM
Last Post: BOOMEX
  Ae86 Levin drift project. filip.alin 7 8,967 01-20-2013 03:05 PM
Last Post: filip.alin
  86er's Track rebuild N2.??? Finally an update page 8 86er 191 244,341 03-25-2012 10:05 AM
Last Post: bozu
  (AUS) 8age trueno track monster! green_boy_91 48 53,173 02-22-2010 01:47 PM
Last Post: green_boy_91
  KP61: The track fridge 127 Boy 20 28,513 01-04-2010 01:02 AM
Last Post: The Doctor