I've seen a lot of strange engineswaps
03-17-2005, 03:43 PM
It will cost more to get a 4age up to 200 hp, using good 2 liter engines you get more hp and more torque..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-17-2005, 03:52 PM
Ivan, you're right about the price of C20XE engine but the price of complete swap, engine to gearbox conversion plate, electrical conversion, engine mounts etc. will be huge. And the car will be street-illegal (here - in Bulgaria). The 4AGTE will cost ~ the same money (if you use brand new turbo and Megasquirt ECU), will rev better, will have similar torque and 50 hp more power and will be street legal just because the engine is the same as 4AGE (not exact true but here it will work). And I bet that 200 hp 4AGTE will overcome 150 hp C20XE. If you try to modify C20XE, be prepared for extra costs and again you cannot go over 200 hp due to transmission problems, the price including modifications will be greather than 4AGTE conversion.

Just my opinion, nothing more.
03-17-2005, 04:02 PM
My vote goes to CA18DET conversion, cheap engine, easy to modify, comes in with RWD gearbox, so no problem with that.
Only downside i see is bit to heavy, but gives a load of power and torque for ae86 chasis.

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
03-17-2005, 04:12 PM
What Jamie said is true, but dont forget the running costs... 4AGE ist prooved as reliable engine, C20XE is well know with its very-often-overheated-and-blown heads.
This is my opinion as a owner of Opel (Vauxhall) and Toyotas.

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984
03-17-2005, 04:51 PM
I believe the older manta etc trannies bolt on to the C20. Plenty trannies available to hold more than 200hp. 4A-GTE is nowhere nere as reliable as a 4A-GE, so that argument doesn't hold in that situation.
C20's seem to be around quite a lot still. Though there does seem to be a difference in head design during some years that had the overheating problems you mentioned (You need the coscast head). The engine has had loads of testing on germany's circuits and loads of people have parts lying around. Buying a calibra turbo engine will always be cheaper then converting a 4A-GE and infinetly more reliable (always the case with OEM engines).

As for cost...if you know what you're doing it could be done for the about the same price as a 4A-GE. All the electrical stuff etc is just handywork.

@Zax. 200SX engine is just as good an alternative as any. Only the opel engines have a huge tuner support and knowhow here in Europe and I prefer NA engines to FI. But I'll admit that hunting parts down from a Japanese tuner has a certain charm when compaired with just ordering from a catalog from Helmuts tuning shop.

Basically: if you want to go fast NA and race the thing, then the C20 is a sensible option that might save you money. But there are always different elements that influence the decision and everyone in the end makes his or her own choice.
That doesn't mean that it isn't fun to argue about on a forum once in a while. Thats what its for right?

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
03-17-2005, 07:29 PM
My XE will be running a ford 4-sp box with Quaife S/C gearset, we use one of these in the Starlet (244bhp@Flywheel) and it's never given up in years of abuse. (5sp not required and is weaker than the 4sp).

Wiring, mounting and fabrication etc I'm doing myself, only major cost is going into tuning the engine.

4age is no option for me, I want NA only for response and no chance can it provide the power I want for the same budget.

Thumbs up!
11-13-2005, 01:27 AM
Same as that Nev. Mine's pretty much done now. Got wiring to do, strengthening of the engine mounts, new brakes lines, fuel lines, fuel pressure reg, bla bla. About a weeks work and I'm booked in with my mechanic for 1st week of December. I'm hoping it will be a nice Xmas present to go blasting around the back roads in my area after a big fat lunch Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coolest link this week :) LOT´s of jap car pics! peter møller 1 2,779 01-13-2006 03:40 PM
Last Post: peter møller
  Possibly the best AE86 vid i've seen Jezza_hr 7 5,980 11-22-2005 06:06 PM
Last Post: Darkstar
  Whos seen the Club AE86 Videos Dogs Danglies 10 8,550 07-13-2005 10:52 AM
Last Post: banpei
  the best 86 vid i have seen H7ERO 10 8,712 12-05-2004 01:50 AM
Last Post: H7ERO