I bought a Hemi - Project Lit'lphant
05-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Did you know Toyota built a hemi V8?

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - I bought a Hemi - Project Lit'lphant]

This is the "V" engine - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_V_engine - not a whole lot of information.... Crying

The "V" engine designation began in the 1960s, and ended in the 1990s. It began as a 2.6 liter V8, and in its last iteration it was 4.0 liters. Wiki is a bit confusing - in one place it states the V engine was superseded by the UZ, yet in another it says it was superseded by the GZ 12 cylinder. The later would be correct. While the UZ engine line is the next V8 after the V, the UZ was used in different applications then the V was, the GZ replaced the V in the only car to use either - the Toyota Century.

Some more info "gleaned" from the internet... (notice some discrepancies in power between this, and Wiki)

engine type naturally aspirated petrol
Engine manufacturer Toyota
Engine code 5V-EU
Cylinders V 8 in 90° vee
Capacity 4 litre - 3994 cc - (243.729 cu in)
Bore × Stroke 87 × 84 mm - 3.43 × 3.31 in
Bore/stroke ratio 1.04
Valve gear overhead valve (OHV)
2 valves per cylinder
16 valves in total
maximum power output: (JIS net) 164 PS (162 bhp) (121 kW) @ 4400 rpm
Specific output(JIS net) 40.6 bhp/litre - 0.66 bhp/cu in
maximum torque(JIS net) 289 Nm (213 ft•lb) (29.5 kgm) at 3600 rpm
Specific torque(JIS net) 72.36 Nm/litre 0.87 ft•lb/cu3
Engine construction light alloy head & block (reported to be 130 kilos[286#s]) for comparison a 1UZ tips the scales closer to 355#s
compression ratio 8.6:1
Fuel system EFi
bmep (brake mean effective pressure) 909.3 kPa (131.9 psi)(with a BMEP of 131 theres some serious room for improvement)
Maximum RPM unknown… but hemi article alludes to a crank capable of 9000 rpm
crankshaft bearings 5
Engine coolant Water
Unitary capacity 499.25 cc
Aspiration Normal

In my searches for info on this engine, I had heard that an old Hemi book had a few pages on the V engine... after pestering a few of my friends who build V8s... I got this...

Now the BIG downside... Toyota no longer services this engine - all gaskets will need to be custom made Crying Crying

So, I began my search... and it began with Moto(Club4AG)! I had asked Moto a few months ago if he knew of any engine importers that might help me. He recommended a few. I tried them, and I also asked Robert @ EP importers - http://www.etsuryu.com . Robert was a great help and found a Toyota V engine for me! To make a long story short - Robert couldn't import the engine for me, so I passed the information (YJ auction) along to an engine importer that came recommended on Facebook. Once the engine gets here, I'll post the engine service with whom I bought my "new" 5V-EU from...

and here it is - scans came from the YJ auction

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - I bought a Hemi - Project Lit'lphant][Image: AEU86 AE86 - I bought a Hemi - Project Lit'lphant][Image: AEU86 AE86 - I bought a Hemi - Project Lit'lphant]

Robert did help me with 2 other significant purchases... 1 - an original starter for this engine, and 2 - a 5V-EU factory service manual!!

I expect the engine to arrive sometime late spring, or early summer.

A WHOLE lot more to come... Big Grin

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
05-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Nice find I didn't know this gem existed. Too bad Toyota stoped supporting the platform with spare parts.

Regarding Robert:
He's a great guy and his service is top notch. Iv'e bought serval things over the years about his company ant the service was always great. From books to rims he never disapointed me. Only one time he could not get my stuff as he could not ship shock absorbers via airmail so i had to get it trough JAA which seem didn't care about this issue.

Daily Beater: Civic EG5
Work in progress Car: AE86
05-08-2019, 09:22 PM
Are you planning to fit it to a car once finished?
Curious to see the actual dimensions of this.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2019, 11:33 PM
Looks awesome, I had no idea that Toyota made such an engine. Just like Bean, I would also like to know if the engine is going into a car when finished. Maybe drop it into an 86?
05-09-2019, 12:30 AM
(05-08-2019 09:22 PM)Bean Wrote:  Are you planning to fit it to a car once finished?
Curious to see the actual dimensions of this.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

(05-08-2019 11:33 PM)Power_uP Wrote:  Looks awesome, I had no idea that Toyota made such an engine. Just like Bean, I would also like to know if the engine is going into a car when finished. Maybe drop it into an 86?

a LOT depends on dimensions..... but @ 130 kilos... a Corolla(E7, or E8 rwd) could be the recipient... along with an R154, and a 3.5 final drive...... but for now the project is building the engine - power goal: 300hp and 300#/ft.

Right now the goal is patience... as I write this(May 2019) the engine is on a boat somewhere in the Pacific... but I have been doing some planning....

I have a new phone (and Bixby app)... it translates Huh Respect! Thumbs up!

Dis-assembly will have to be done with care so I can salvage what I can salvage. With any luck intake gasket might be metal like 4AG... but I have no such fantasies about the head gaskets... but I do know that if I can get them off in one piece... I can likely get them made Exclamation

Dan -

05-11-2019, 05:15 PM
That's a very nice engine to own! I did know about it's existence, but I have never seen any IRL or any pictures of one without a Century wrapped around it. Thumbs up!

I have been using the Google translate app to translate using the camera or existing photos for over two years now and it's a bit quirky and doesn't translate a photo into a new photo. I never heard of the Bixby app. Is it Samsung only? And does it translate in place?

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
05-13-2019, 06:19 PM
(05-11-2019 05:15 PM)banpei Wrote:  That's a very nice engine to own! I did know about it's existence, but I have never seen any IRL or any pictures of one without a Century wrapped around it. Thumbs up!

I have been using the Google translate app to translate using the camera or existing photos for over two years now and it's a bit quirky and doesn't translate a photo into a new photo. I never heard of the Bixby app. Is it Samsung only? And does it translate in place?

I believe it might be Samsung only... it doesn't always work... and sometimes I need to "finagle" the camera a bit to get all the text to translate. But, on the few pages I've done to this point, it works well enough, without it.... Facepalm

As to the engine... I've seen it swapped into a Corona(late70s/early 80s model), and in an early 70s Crown coupe... besides the hot rod pictures.

I've been scouring the web looking for what I can.... for example, here is an article -https://www.carthrottle.com/post/a7rlem9/ - about a guy looking for head gaskets... the engine is fitted in his Miata Huh Interesting photo in there... I adjusted the lighting some... open deck, and bolt-on paired lifter galley/assemblies??

more to come...... Hurray!

Dan -

06-26-2019, 12:53 AM
The engine has landed in L.A.. I expect it to be delivered to Portland Engine Rebuilders within the next two weeks.

more to come... Hurray!

Dan -

06-26-2019, 10:26 PM
Nice! Can't wait to learn more about it! Thumbs up!

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
07-09-2019, 12:53 AM
My new Hemi.....

and it wasn't 10 minutes before I got bit..... Huh

There was one shipping tragedy... and one I feared all along.... they (R&L Shippers) shattered the distributor AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

The WHOLE reason I bought THIS 5V-EU was this one had a distributor!!! At least they didn't break the lower half of it - that is the oil pump drive!

And a bit more disappointment... the reported mass of the engine was incorrect..... Crying Crying Crying

While light for a V8, it isn't anywhere near the reported 130 kilos Facepalm

More to come.... Hurray!

Dan -

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bought a Ae86 and super scared cause of rust can any one hel adamsaiyad 19 19,384 12-02-2009 02:29 AM
Last Post: [Walaki]D`Lair
  Bought a Hachi today XLarge 27 30,986 09-08-2005 10:06 AM
Last Post: PetzK