How the 4A-GE ECU works
01-10-2006, 09:52 PM
How the 4A-GE ECU works
Hi, just stumbled across this forum whilst browsing.

I see there is a lot of tech info on here.

just wondered if you guys would be interested in how the stock 4A-GE ECU works.

I wrote some articles on this a while back on the mk1 MR2 ECU which is quite similar to the AE86.

See
http://www.jmross.freeserve.co.uk/part2p1.html

and

http://www.jmross.freeserve.co.uk/part3p1.html

I've also dumped out the ROM from the UK AE86 ECUs and the program code and mapping is very similar even though the ECU internals are slightly different.

The same maps are present in tha AE86, but the mapping shows a few subtle differences.

Hope it is of interest!
Find all posts by this user
01-10-2006, 10:31 PM
How the 4A-GE ECU works
Tell us about the secrets of our ECU and how can we use them Respect!

AE86 FANATIC!!!
01-10-2006, 10:53 PM
How the 4A-GE ECU works
Wow, this is VERY interesting! I've always thought that engine control systems are the most exciting part of tinkering with cars as they combine three of my favourite hobbies - cars, coding and electronics. Smile It's amazing how many possible correction factors the 4A-GE ECU calculates over the initial density value - I've been playing around with MegaSquirt quite a lot lately and it actually seems rather simple when compared the original ECU. It should be quite interesting to see if it's possible to mimic the original ECU's mapping on the MegaSquirt - well, as soon as I have an engine to connect to it instead of just the distributor and an oscilloscope. Wink

Do you have, by any chance, the pin assignments from the firmware on the microcontroller? A friend and I have been toying with the idea of pulling the controller off the 4A-GE ECU, replacing it with a socket and building a piggyback board which mounts onto the socket. The piggyback would use the 68HC908 and run MegaSquirt'n'Spark-Extra code so it would be easily programmable with existing tools. This would make an ultimate DIY plug'n'play solution for re-mapping 4A-GE ECUs - no need for tearing the engine wiring loom apart or butchering the original ECU for sockets.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2006, 11:12 PM
How the 4A-GE ECU works
Very very VERY interesting! Thumbs up!
I think I'll have to print all this stuff and have some bedtime reading to do. Just out of pure interest in this stuff. Smile

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - How the 4A-GE ECU works]
01-10-2006, 11:19 PM
How the 4A-GE ECU works
firehawk Wrote:Wow, this is VERY interesting! I've always thought that engine control systems are the most exciting part of tinkering with cars as they combine three of my favourite hobbies - cars, coding and electronics. Smile It's amazing how many possible correction factors the 4A-GE ECU calculates over the initial density value - I've been playing around with MegaSquirt quite a lot lately and it actually seems rather simple when compared the original ECU. It should be quite interesting to see if it's possible to mimic the original ECU's mapping on the MegaSquirt - well, as soon as I have an engine to connect to it instead of just the distributor and an oscilloscope. Wink

Do you have, by any chance, the pin assignments from the firmware on the microcontroller? A friend and I have been toying with the idea of pulling the controller off the 4A-GE ECU, replacing it with a socket and building a piggyback board which mounts onto the socket. The piggyback would use the 68HC908 and run MegaSquirt'n'Spark-Extra code so it would be easily programmable with existing tools. This would make an ultimate DIY plug'n'play solution for re-mapping 4A-GE ECUs - no need for tearing the engine wiring loom apart or butchering the original ECU for sockets.

Already done it.

I made a PCB which replaces the original 40 pin ECU microcontroller but it supports the original factory ROM code and maps. It allows access to all the factory maps and the rev limiter and TVIS etc.

The stock ECU has a hidden diagnostic capability which I modded and it allows me real time remapping on the fly with the engine running by using my modded ECU.

I also modded the fuel mapping to a full 3d system. In other words I binned the 2d speed and density maps and replaced them with a huge 3d map. I also increased the mapping to cover up to 8400rpm (21x10 map) for both fuel and ignition.

I'm writing a user interface for this modded ECU which allows point and click remapping in real time with the car on a rolling road.

The remapping GUI is quite good to look at.

I released a demo version of it last Summer to see what feedback I got.

The real version has had a few upgrades since the demo and I tested it out for real on a rolling road last year.

See

http://www.jmross.freeserve.co.uk/demo3d.html

if you want to download the demo.

The demo only covers the main 3D maps. The full version has lots of other maps to play with...

HINT press the little yellow AUTO button on the demo to see how the SITE TARGET indicator works.

BTW
The original ECU has over 40 lookups in it. My articles only cover the main maps. It is quite a complicated ECU for its age. The other maps affect the throttle response and overrun and warmup. These little maps are tailored to the 4A-GE and this is why the stock ECU keeps the 4A-GE engine running so sweet.
01-11-2006, 10:38 AM
How the 4A-GE ECU works
Very nice info. Keep up the good work. It was about the time that someone open "the hood" on 4A-GE ECU.
For S13 Nissan there is a free mapping software, even the online!!! ecu editor.

thnx for sharing and development.
Respect.

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
01-11-2006, 10:50 AM
How the 4A-GE ECU works
Do you happen to know to what inputs the accel-enrichment is related? Only delta TPS or is there an rpm/map/watertemp reference as well?

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
01-11-2006, 11:34 AM
How the 4A-GE ECU works
Respect Respect!

As I can see, the adapter replaces 4age microcontroller. Which microcontroller do you use at the adapter plate?

If the user decides to reprogram some data, what does he has to do: reprogram the microcontroller, reprogram the eprom or only set the microcontroller's parameters through pc with using a communication (serial, can, etc.)?

Regards
Andrej
01-11-2006, 12:31 PM
How the 4A-GE ECU works
I am impressed Respect!
01-11-2006, 12:50 PM
How the 4A-GE ECU works
I believe that JMR AW11 has to continue his research and when he will be ready to show us a complete configuration for "real time" adjusting of our ECUs (through our laptop maybe?) then we will have to show our interest and intention to offer some money to have it.
What do you people say? Dumb question
.. and JMR AW11 whenever you are ready give us a price!

AE86 FANATIC!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would a yamaha tachometer works?? andrecorreia 1 3,206 07-21-2008 01:38 PM
Last Post: andrecorreia
  Wich ecu standalone works better in a 4AGE Abe 18 25,552 02-17-2007 12:54 PM
Last Post: PazzaAE86
  Not understanding LSD - how LSD works surfingdrums 11 14,942 09-13-2006 11:58 AM
Last Post: Mux213
  Fuel gauge: works but shows lower than real?? PetzK 18 15,214 10-23-2005 11:37 AM
Last Post: Ivan141