How fast is a 86 with 20V?
10-28-2004, 10:41 AM
Ivan,

I could be mixed up but I remember that the 2nd gen CRX with normal 1600 engine did 130hp and the vtec one did 170hp. But that could be flywheel, not sure, but that is what I remember what the book said. Or maybe I am mixing up delsol figures (fugly car).

I have driven the 2nd gen non-vtec CRX and I remember it being VERY fast. Damn light agile cars.

It revved pretty heapilly aswell, in my memory as well as the Ae86 (but my memory fails me sometimesSmile).

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
10-28-2004, 10:47 AM
My brother had the ZC (1.6 dohc) crx engine installed in his previous car ('89 civic). It was fast, maybe even a bit faster than an ae86. I think the experience of the engines revving are different because the 4age has a flatter torque band. Power around 130hp is about correct for that engine. 2nd gen crx vtec makes around 160hp.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-28-2004, 11:07 AM
@Kristian, thats a nice improvement you have there. Biggest gain has to be the lightening and the headers. Still the quarter mile times aren't as low as I would have guessed. I have some friends with mildly modified crx vtec's (there it is again, since everyone seems to love it so much) running into high 14 sec 1/4 miles. Maybe only a exhaust and intake (which I consider a sound modification, not performance...(unless the old ones were clogged), some headers and a little richer in fuel. I know from these guys that they aren't making monster power. The best one had 170bhp at the crank and probably got lucky on a healthy engine from the factory (some make a little more power, some less. differance kan be 5 crank hp).

I had a std DOHC crx and later the same engine in a civic. They have a little more power up top, can rev 400rpm less and have more of a rush towards redline. The 4A-GE has a much nicer torquespread (versitile!) and as a consequence feels a little more anemic. Both are great engines.

If you want to sample a piece of shit, then come and take a ride in my MX5. Basically its a turbo engine without a turbo and it shows. Awfull performance and I'm lucky to get 95km's from a liter of petrol. I absolutely hate it...

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
10-28-2004, 12:01 PM
NoHachi,

Do a TII rotary conversion on your MX5, fuel consumption will suck even more, but atleast you'll have a really nice engine in thereSmile

I like the MX5 though, its got nice handling. I must say that engine wise the performance indeed is a let down...

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Why bother with a complicated rotary swap when you can slap a turbo onto that engine with little difficulties? Maintenance and reliability are two things I would hold against a rotary. I like the performance but sometimes it's better to stick to what you know.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Because rotaries are coolSmile

But you are 200% correct, a rotary swap doesn't make any sense at all, but its just coolSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-28-2004, 01:48 PM
Don't worry, I won't be tolerating this forever. Rotary swap is nice but not my thing, its just that I don't like their character. A V8 swap would be higher up on the list but it would pose the same problems for registering it in Holland (bye bye APK).
Nope, there are other projects in the making. I'm sorting the suspension out first (Tein Flex with custom rates) and after that...
How does a T3/T4 hybrid turbo sound?
How does a Magnussen MP62 supercharger sound?
How do you think the two combined will sound...

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
10-28-2004, 07:50 PM
NoHachi Wrote:How do you think the two combined will sound...

Compound charging Cool Thumbs up!
That's going to be a great project!!
10-28-2004, 08:50 PM
This has just been posted on the driftworks forums.

Its rebuild tips for a 4AG motor - could be useful to somebody.

clicky

Regards Ian.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - How fast is a 86 with 20V?]
11-01-2004, 03:35 PM
To clarify a few things on the 20v topic....

If you want an easy and reliable transplant, a near stock blacktop is a lovely engine for the AE86 - but expect around 145bhp. Toyota's figures were tested on 100 RON fuel with NO ancillaries on the engine, so 165bhp or whatever they claim means little in the real world.

If you want to spend a fortune building up a 20v engine, get the silvertop. It's cheaper, slighty stronger and you will remove/improve all the bits that are better on the blacktop when building it up into a monster NA engine.

NoHachi speaks a lot of realistic truth but the 20hp or so difference between a stock 16v and blacktop WILL be noticeable in an AE86 because it is nearly a 20% increase in a lightweight car. This equates to nearly 30bhp/ton more. Not a huge amount, but definately noticeable.

Ian - your engine is not a "silvertop". Although the cam covers are silver, the "silvertop" refers to the AE101 20v 4AGE in Toyota anoraks vocabulary....

Your 16v unit is either a bluetop (early 4AGE), redtop (phase II 4AGE with red and black lettering) or small port (last 16v 4AGE, non T-VIS, with red lettering).

And such a 16v unit will produce more bhp per £ spent on tuning than any 20v, hence your impressive power figures.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Machining Pistons to run 20v head... And FCR's on a 20v? PazzaAE86 2 4,729 09-15-2013 01:08 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  20v bt swap to ae86 (20v or 16v flywheel????) kid 11 13,735 12-08-2007 04:09 PM
Last Post: Jan Pedersen
  OFSET on stock rims - FAST REPLY ! KristianAE86 15 12,220 05-18-2005 05:59 AM
Last Post: Widar