How Much Power Can a STOCK ae86 Drivetrain Handle!?
04-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Alright!!!!! b4 i get my butt handled and told to go serch it up. i already did. im just looking for more info and see how actual 86 owners think and what they done to their car to help.

k here are the info i have so far.

from wut i've serched, the ae86's rear diff, axle, and tranny is good for 180lb tq.
the driveshaft is good for around 220lb tq, then the u-joints start to gave.

first i need to confirm the above info.

and here are my questions, lets start with the rear axle.

i know the pre 86(84,85,86), ae86 and the1987 ae86 have different rear axle, not majorly,just that the axle it self have slight bigger shaft and "deeper" teeth, judging by the side and strenth of the material i's think its capable of 250tq, (i have a 87) but y do most place i serch tells me below 200 and then i need a upgrade? does the teeth gave out ? or does the shaft twist like a suspension torque bar? also, another thing i saw befor was the turbo/sc axle by a company ( i could not remember the name) they custom make a 28mm axle , and modify the diff to fit everything. and thats rated ar around 300tq.

2nd the transmission.
all ae86 uese the T50 tranny, gear ratio for first 3 gears.
First Gear: 3.587:1
Second Gear: 2.022:1
Third Gear: 1.384:1
these gears compare to the commenly swapped W58 whitch have the ratio of
First Gear: 3.285:1
Second Gear: 1.894:1
Third Gear: 1.275:1

the t50 does multiply turque alot better especily for underpowered engines.
and that might also be one of the reason why it breaks alot easyer, because of the lighter material and constant high speed of revelutions. and when compare to the w58, it is soo much more fragile.
after transmission swap, there are 2 ways of retaining the same amount of torque as befor,
1, increase engine power, to the point that the change in gear ratio dosnt matter anymore(dosnt matter as much anymore Thumbs up! )
2, get a different final drive, stock ae86 have 4.1 and 4.3 final, 4.7 would be the swap , then again it will be transfering more torque , thus becomming the week link... (correct me if im wrong, im here to learn as well)

now the differential..... hahaha not too much info on that , kazz tomei and cusco.... lolz, Yummie! not too many options there... hahah

drive shaft, didnt do too many reserch on that because it hasnt been my main worries... but if you were to do a F20 swap from a s2000, ... teh drive shaft must be custom made, i dotn know who makes them, but im pretty sure they are alot stronger( "custom"made...usualy stronger, also the shorter lenth cause less torque loss and more transfer, thus harder to break the shaft) thats abotu all i know... does any one know a delear that sells uber strong driveshaft? lolz

and thats about i can think off now!

mainly the thing here is how much hp/tq i want to make......
i am thinking around 220tq/280hp ~ that'll make a good daily driver / weekend fun car....but i do want to up the drive train b4 i get to anything fancy, and break everything... haha Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
04-12-2010, 07:29 PM
alright !!! k watever u do to it it aint gonna take like 280hp 4 long u nd anuver axl n box innit. innit
haha Big Grin

An analogue brain in a digital World
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Can Wing Mirror Glass be Replaced? chrisae86 1 785 03-05-2023 09:34 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Digital speedometer on stock dashboard FanIsHere 0 964 11-09-2022 01:36 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Can you convert your 86 back too the original state? gh0st 7 2,136 04-25-2022 04:25 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Can you seperate trueno kouki bumper lights into zenki bumper lights? gh0st 17 6,083 12-19-2021 11:58 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  82mm Stock compression Pistons apardal 4 2,235 11-24-2021 04:26 PM
Last Post: apardal