Horn Relay Location?
04-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Horn Relay Location?
My horn seems to be stuck in the on position after a spike from the battery. I am fairly sure it is the relay but dont know where to find it. any ideas? Dumb question
Find all posts by this user
04-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Horn Relay Location?
relay locations are all in the manuals I believe.. in the meantime, just take out the horn fuse Big Grin

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Horn Relay Location?
After looking at the manual, it would appear the horn doesnt have a relay Dumb question I'm confused to where the problem could be as i've taken the wiring out of the loom behind the steering wheel yet the horn still seems to go off. I can only assume that the horn is grounding out somewhere, since the power goes to the horn and the button is used to ground it, but I have no idea where the wires go Banging head
04-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Horn Relay Location?
Anyone else able to shed some light on this? I dont want to fail my M.O.T Banging head
04-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Horn Relay Location?
I've looked into the EWD, but I din't find any wire diagrams for the horn, except on page 59 which does not actually tell you were it is located. Undecided

I mean this diagram:
http://files.aeu86.org/manuals/ewd-ae86-...parrot.pdf

I know from experience that the steering wheel has two connections: one inner (conical) and one outer. So my best guess is that the steering column itself (inner) is the wire to the enginebay and the outer is the grounding.

Also: did you also try to remove your steering wheel to exclude that from the cause? Dumb question

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Horn Relay Location?]
04-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Horn Relay Location?
I removed the wiring connector from the back of the wheel entirely, yet it still goes off Dumb question
04-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Horn Relay Location?
Knowing the way toyota wired up most of the switchgear on the ae86, it is very likely that the horn is directly connected to 12v, and the hornpad in the steeringwheel is wired in directly as a switch to ground. You only need to have one chafed wire and it will short to your chassis somewhere, causing your horn to go off.
The trick is to find out where the short is, but you can be pretty sure it's the wire coming from the horn going to the steeringwheel.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
04-24-2007, 01:19 AM
Horn Relay Location?
Exactly, what I was thinking, it's just a git to go through those wires without ripping stuff outo of the engine bay Banging head
04-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Horn Relay Location?
Just check the bit of wireharness that is suspect, and see if it is damaged in any place.. it normally wont short out internally for no reason. Special areas of interest: holes where the harness goes through the fender (next to the battery) and the hole where it goes through the firewall.. might be worth taking off the fender to see if the harness is not damaged by any flying debris (if you're not using the inner plastic plates, like a lot of us).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
04-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Horn Relay Location?
Aha! I found it. The air filter was to blame. It had been rubbing the wiring against the chassis causing the issue . Thumbs up!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horn mounting... Mylesmck 6 998 07-12-2023 10:03 AM
Last Post: Mylesmck
  Horn assembly Hama86 5 5,847 08-11-2018 07:06 PM
Last Post: Bean
  Placement location fuel filter bozu 0 3,170 12-01-2016 11:06 AM
Last Post: bozu
  What is this? + Oil temp sensor location Dino86 7 8,513 05-29-2012 06:40 PM
Last Post: fax0815
  What wires are the horn ones ? franckcrx 4 4,677 02-15-2009 09:08 PM