Honda's PGM FI on 4AGE ?
04-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Honda's PGM FI on 4AGE ?
Hi all

I've been looking for some time now for standalone ECU to put on my 4AGE. Stock ECU isn't tunable so standalone is a must.
Piggybacks are not so big on possibilities but still very expensive so i never considered them.
Megasquirt was favorite and still is because everything else is expensive (VEMS) or have some other issues (Freedom ECU is japanese only).

Recently, i run into a guy who put Hondas PGM FI on his Porsche 944 Turbo, and after that "pgmed" some Opel and one Alfa Romeo.

Good points are that this ECU is very cheap with excellent availability and totally hacked into, there are many tools for Honda's OBD0 and OBD1 from Civics, Integras, Preludes.
OBD2 version aint supported enough, but since 4age isn't really that sophisticated, OBD0 and 1 versions should do just fine.

Beside, there are many Honda tuners, amateurs and professional who are willing to share knowledge. I run into some, and guys @ http://forum.pgmfi.org/ are looking they really know what they are doing.

Did anyone thought about putting PGM FI on 4AGE? For me, it looks like great alternative for Megasquirt. After all, 4AGE are similar to Hondas B16 engines from which these ecu and distributors are taken from. DOHC, 16v, 1,6l, ~8000 rpm.... Made in Japan Smile
Find all posts by this user
04-03-2010, 01:03 AM
Honda's PGM FI on 4AGE ?
The thought never crossed my mind, but it sounds like an excellent idea.
The only thing I dont know is how free you are in your selection of sensors and ignition type etc, but most of that is not too important anyway.

Compared to megasquirt you will get great availability of parts and spares, likely cheaper too.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Honda's PGM FI on 4AGE ?
I'm talking with the guy for some time know and it still looks like excelent idea Smile

There is no need for 36-1 wheels or Ford Edis or similar stuff.
Only fabricaton/welding needed is to adapt distributor to 4AGE head.
We disscused this and looking just from pictures, Toyotas and Honda distributors are very similar so there should be no issues.

Everything is taken from Hondas and the price for whole hardware, incuding eectroncis is 200 euros max.

Hmmmm Smile
04-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Honda's PGM FI on 4AGE ?
Definitely interesting. Couple of years ago, one of my friend think about to put a GM ecu onto 4AGE. He has vast knowledge about V6 turbo Syclone/Typhoon/Regal engines, hence the idea.

These Honda engines are runing the opposite way than any other, could it be problem? AFAIK only the newer K series Honda engines are conventional rotation, the older OBD0,1 D, F, B series Honda engines are rotating the opposite direction.

http://www.ae86.hu
04-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Honda's PGM FI on 4AGE ?
What problem could difference in rotation make ?

I'm not really into tuning and engine managment, but can't think of any problem this could make. For transmission yes, but for ECU not Smile.

More i think about this, sounds better. Many Honda engines have ITBs which can be used with adapters. Beside, as Ivan said, electronics is very affordable and easy to find.

I'll definitely discuss more about this, let you know if i find out something interesting.
04-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Honda's PGM FI on 4AGE ?
Have a read here...

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=57954

Cheers... jondee86
04-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Honda's PGM FI on 4AGE ?
Nice Smile
So, no problems, very doable. Thanks!
04-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Honda's PGM FI on 4AGE ?
Uzelac Wrote:What problem could difference in rotation make ?

I'm not really into tuning and engine managment, but can't think of any problem this could make. For transmission yes, but for ECU not Smile.

More i think about this, sounds better. Many Honda engines have ITBs which can be used with adapters. Beside, as Ivan said, electronics is very affordable and easy to find.

I'll definitely discuss more about this, let you know if i find out something interesting.

In the linked topic they are reversing the ignition signal because of the rotation. It's obvious a clokwise rotation signal coudn't be the same as a a counter clockwise as far as I understood.

http://www.ae86.hu
04-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Honda's PGM FI on 4AGE ?
I dont see why, what's the difference to the ignition? As long as the correct cylinder pair is fired at the time the mixture is in the chamber everything should be fine. Easily solved with the switching of some sparkplug cables in case it needs adjusting.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
04-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Honda's PGM FI on 4AGE ?
Just to let u know, i went Honda way Smile

Current status, waiting for PGM-FI wiring...

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Honda's PGM FI on 4AGE ?]

Should be installed in next few days.
ODB1 ECU, not sure about exact version.