Hoiw to remove the starter?
01-17-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi,

As I'll have to take the starter out of the engine bay, I'm wondering if anyone has already done it.

If I'm right the starter is located near the oil filter, under the exhaust manifold.

Any hints how to remove it ? Do I have to dismant also the oil filter ? Is it easier to do it from underneath the vehicle?

Regards
Andrej
Find all posts by this user
01-17-2005, 10:58 AM
1. Do it on a cold car. I have a wound on my hand from removing starter from a hot exhaust manifold.
2. Dissconnect the battery!!!
3. 2 bolts, bit tricky but can be done from the top side. I've done it this way.

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Okay, I did this a couple of times, you have 2 options.
First is taking it out between manifold and firewall. You can squeeze it through there with a bit of twisting and turning. First you need to remove the little heatshield attached to the top of the starter, this makes it small enough to fit through, then remove the 2 bolts holding it to the bellhousing. Your best bet is to remove the lower bolt from under the car.

Then there is option nr 2. Remove the heatshield from the starter as well, and remove oil filter, then take out from frontside. This is supposed to be easier.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-17-2005, 11:20 AM
TNX to both Smile

Andrej
Find all posts by this user
01-17-2005, 11:58 AM
This is great! I wondered how to do this for some time, as my starter sometimes has a problem turning when its warm - just ten times the last two years and none the last ½ year Confused

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Hoiw to remove the starter?]
01-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Do you still have the inner heat shield on your exhaust manifold? Starters tend to work a lot worse when they are heated up by the exhaust.
If you take out your starter, take a good look at the bearing inserts at both ends, mine were worn to a thin shell, I had them replaced for 5 euro's at an alternator overhaul shop. Stator brushes (if that's the correct name) are easily replacable, but I wouldnt replace them unless they are worn close to the minimum length specified in the manuals.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 starter options max_ae86 12 27,462 07-28-2019 08:17 PM
Last Post: harkes
  Starter problems Widar 49 114,837 02-09-2015 10:11 AM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Starter Motor Help phill 92 3 5,490 11-25-2013 11:16 AM
Last Post: Apsogos
  Starter motor questions - rebuild Jezza_hr 6 7,227 08-31-2013 03:05 PM
  My new rebuilded denso starter (Heat soaked?) Apsogos 8 7,034 10-01-2012 07:43 PM