High impedance inj with MAP low impedance ECU
12-05-2005, 05:31 AM
Ok, to answer some questions and raise some others.

On the US AE86 and AFM setup, the resistor pack is bolted to the Pass (right hand) side strut tower. Mine is gone because there isn't a plug on the map circuit. I do not know if there is one on the standard map car. If there is, it is not in the engine bay (Bad_Dog refers to it being under the dash). Basically, I have no resistor pack and there is nothing I can do about it.

The car is running, but running extremely rich. My AFR at idle is 9.3 to 9.5. Rich enough to where I don't want to run the car. I want to switch to the honda injectors, but if there is a resistor pack, and I don't have it, I'm worried that I could fry something. My other option is to try an adjustable fuel regulator. I'm running a walbro 255 right now, and somewhat worried that I'm overpowering the stock FPR. I'm grabbing a sard from work tomorrow so that should hopefully fix it.

If the FPR fixes my problem, I'll be very happy to be done with this business, if not, it's off to testing new things...
Find all posts by this user
12-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Yes indeed, the resistor packs are only with afm ae86's and mr2's.
12-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Good to know. I'm glad someone confirmed this. But how does the ecu provide such a high amperage for the injectors without having further resistance?

Anyways, the car has been running on the AE92 injectors with the 9.5 AFR. But, I came to the conclusion that my walbro 255 (uneducated buy) is much too large for the fuel system. The problems you run into with this is that it will actually overpower the stock regulator, and also flow too much fuel for your return line to handle. To fix this, you can get a better aftermarket fpr and upgrade your return line, but then you'll be pushing the fuel through the system much faster. Circulating it at this rate of speed will cause the fuel to not have enough time to cool down and you'll get hot gas which is no good.

I bought a fuel pump controller from aeromotive to solve my problem. It controlls the amount of amps to the fuel pump depending on RPM. We'll see how the car runs after install. i don't know anyone who has run of these yet.
12-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Never heard of one of those things before..nice gadget..
Glad I settled for an RX7 pump myself..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Can we use the bluetop MAP wiring with the redtop ECU to run a redtop MAP 4age?
Dumb question

AE86 FANATIC!!!
12-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Yep

Any fool can go fast in a straight line.
VEMS Blacktop 4AGTE20V 272hp/350nm
"""www.turbotoys.dk"""
12-07-2005, 03:54 PM
any special mods needed Denmark?

AE86 FANATIC!!!
12-08-2005, 12:22 PM
alimonos Wrote:Can we use the bluetop MAP wiring with the redtop ECU to run a redtop MAP 4age?
Dumb question

Yes - if you are using bigport redtop. Still you will have to change same connectors(or sensors) that are denso (not Bosct) style.

No - if you are using smallport redtop and want to keep it as is with denso connectors.

I used one AE86 harness (thx Jamiemirror) and one AE92 harness to combine them and produce AE86 redtop harness without cutting other body wires. So I can still put back my old engine at any time without cutting and soldering.

AE86 GTS '84 Red Top
12-19-2005, 02:25 AM
UPDATE!!

Figured out why the car decided to idle and run albeit poorly. The car will stay running with no vacuum to the map sensor but with the sensor still plugged into the harness. I tested a camry sensor as well, so it's not the actual sensor that's bad. I need some info from you guys though. I need to set base timing, and don't know how to do it on this harness. basically, I need one of you guys to send me a pic of the connector and pins you jump to set base timing. This damn thing is throwing me for a loop. Everything seems to be in working order, but nothing seems to work. And since no one in america seems to really know what they're doing, it's tough to get anywhere talking to them. The other thing I am probably going to need is an ECU to check against mine. Unfortunately there aren't any around right now. Thanks ahead of time guys.
12-19-2005, 10:08 AM
I made a pic that pretty much explains the check connectors on european models...but I doubt it is any different on the US cars..
It's in this old thread:
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic.php?t=749...ght=timing

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High-beam warning lamp Mylesmck 4 918 07-21-2023 07:44 AM
Last Post: banpei
  Engine stress at high speeds gh0st 6 1,885 08-30-2022 07:11 PM
Last Post: Power_uP
  AFM to Map Conversion ps13michi 3 2,394 01-06-2022 10:34 AM
Last Post: ps13michi
  4AGE 16V engine overheat when at high speed chenfon 32 18,306 12-31-2020 06:39 AM
Last Post: chenfon
  Newb question on "how-to" guide for ITBs on JDM 4AG Bluetop w/ MAP mister86 12 9,645 02-10-2020 06:39 PM
Last Post: Power_uP