Hi-comp redtop or bluetop head on hicomp redtop block?
11-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Which will give the most power? A complete redtop HI-comp engine or a bluetop head on a hi-comp block or even a redtop head on a bluetop block?

Mulisha

You have by far the ugliest hachi on the nicest rims in the world -Mux213
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2004, 12:19 AM
C/P from club4age

"I did that once. I took a smallport highcomp JDM block and put it into a car with a bigport head.
It was fun, and made more power than stock due to the higher compression. Then, just for kicks, we
put the smallport head back on, and made even more power than with the bigport head. According to
the SOTP dyno, we had 110hp stock, 125hp with the bigport, and 140hp with the smallport."

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
11-10-2004, 06:40 AM
I tried to find info like that but Club4ag server is really slow and I could not use the search function. So it reall is 140 BHP. Will the redtop ECU out of an MR2 work.

11-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Mulisha Wrote:I tried to find info like that but Club4ag server is really slow and I could not use the search function.
That's the reason i don't visit Club4ag anymore.. Can't stand the f*cking slow server.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Hi-comp redtop or bluetop h...top block?]
Find all posts by this user
11-10-2004, 09:34 AM
Mulisha, its SOTP aka Seat Of The Pants dyno. That means that they haven't got a clue about the real performance figures. I would just look them up in a toyota manual. Toyota doesn't really have a reputation of underestimating performance figures so they should be quite accurate.

What happened to the whole Skyline engine plan?

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
11-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Hmmz Redtop lower block is prior the best :-)

About the head i don't know most people use a bigport head but then they use difrent camshafts etc.

The smallport is great upto 200bhp after that use a bigport

Knowing road preformance i would go for a complete red top and then use an adapter to connect the tvis head :-)

Or go itb but because the price is so high it would be cheaper to buy a blacktop (after getting........

Camshafts
Adapters
ITB's

the blacktop will be alot cheaper also you can wreck off all the extra's (ac etc)

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
11-10-2004, 05:47 PM
yeah the problem is the guy junked this car because he couldn't get it to start. The motor doesn't belong in an 85 MR2. Unless someone can prove me wrong that a redtop non-tvis AFM engine was put in that car in 1985. There are papers in the back seat that say he did a timing belt swap and old cam shafts in the trunk. So I think he messed up the timing. But why would you junk a perfectly good car over bad timing? The engine has fuel, air and no spark. I dont have the money to get a new coil and find out it was not the problem. So my easiest solution would be bluetop head and redtop block. what ya think

11-11-2004, 02:23 AM
Try running the redtop on a bluetop ecu, it seems to work, just not very fantastic. There where lots of topics about that on club4ag.
When you save up for the correct coil or find one elsewhere, you can still go for the redtop ecu.
I would prefer staying with the MAP sensored system anyway. You'll have to do custom wiringloom modifications to get an AFM engine to run correctly since the wires to the ecu are different. US cars dont have this problem since their all AFM sensored anyway.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
11-11-2004, 06:48 PM
I found out the problem. I changed the sparkplugs and she fired up. There is a slight knock and the head gasket is blow, I think due to the fact there was 2 quarts extra over the line of oil in the engine. So for now I have to set my sights on rebuilding the bottom end of the engine, and hopefully I can run the redtop engine with the redtop ECU, and call it a day.

11-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Good luck with the wiring if you're going to convert from map to afm.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about 4AG 20v Engine Block CHACAMAN 1 1,242 06-10-2022 05:17 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Bluetop Engine Rebuild multiple question Goal 150-160hp Hanzo 16 7,484 04-19-2021 10:08 PM
Last Post: Hanzo
  Newb question on "how-to" guide for ITBs on JDM 4AG Bluetop w/ MAP mister86 12 9,526 02-10-2020 06:39 PM
Last Post: Power_uP
  4AGE block differences explained (incl. some eyecandy) Bean 46 81,070 05-05-2019 04:03 AM
Last Post: Rocker100
  BT head with ST block. CHOPKIN2 6 6,384 02-06-2018 06:27 PM
Last Post: mad.matt