Help What is this part?
03-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Help What is this part?
hi!
that is the vaccum operated heater valve, used on the model with climate control normally. mine has one and if its leaking you cannot fix it just need a new unit, some people change them to the manual type but it means you loose climate control
i have some diagrams of the system and how to change it if you need.

hope this helps!
Find all posts by this user
03-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Help What is this part?
Thank you for the replies everyone!

Heagney any diagrams and additional information would be greatly appreciated!

When you say I lose the climate control, do you just mean the setting to select it or do I lose the ability to pump hot air into the cabin? I have a feeling this is going to be as rare as rocking horse s**t to find a replacement part am I right?

Thanks guys.
03-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Help What is this part?
ill take some photos of what we did on a model that had this unit removed and a heater tap fitted whith a choke cable kit controling it, it will stop you being able to control the heat with the dial in the car.

i may have a spare one in the shed but im unsire where you are? its a good one but i may have thrown it out..... Sad

does your ac and climate control all still work correctly? there was a universal one that you could use that i found but it didnt look very tidy

cheers!
03-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Help What is this part?
Just talked to the other mechanic today, we have a modified one from a Fiesta, to fit AE86. It will keep all the clima control working!

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
03-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Help What is this part?
Thanks for the helpful replies again!

I have put some rad weld in the system which has sorted it for now although I would like a more permanent fix, I had a trip to the scrapyard yesterday and dug round the old AW11 MR2's and noticed the manual valve with the cable attached. I may pick one of them up and lock it open?

Heagney the air con has been removed so I would assume climate control wont work anymore? If this is the case, is there nothing to lose by going to the manual valve?

Takumi thats a very interesting fix, I have a fiesta as a daily! seems a weird choice to modify the fiesta valve?

TBH I have only driven the car for 1 day to get it home before my old man decided it wasnt safe for me to use however after a fair bit of work and tidying up im looking to put her back on the road soon and i'll see if the radweld holds up! I'm really paranoid about my diff though (LSD 2 way apparently TRD as it doesnt clunk?) as I remember a hell of a lot of noise coming from the rear driving back on the motorway although the car is stripped! The guy I bought it off of said it wasnt diff noise and that he put the rear bench back in because it reduced the noise alot. He suspected it to just be the air noise and said it wasnt diff noise, I cant be sure till I drive it again though! (Im dieng to get back behind the wheel!)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  part search help AEeighty-six 3 4,194 05-27-2009 11:54 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  20V: help identify part of engine wiring loom, pic inside rooty 1 2,896 02-18-2008 08:01 PM
Last Post: rooty
  help with part numbers JamesAE86 3 3,680 01-05-2006 12:45 AM
Last Post: JonT