HELP!!! hard time starting
03-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Ok, so i tried the stock fpr and still nothing. I took apart the fpr and it looks good. I did notice after i put it back together and on the car that im getting a reading on the fpr gauge now(dont know what i did cause i just took it apart, look at it for visual damge and put back together). I the gauge is reading from 4-5 and im getting fuel but still the car still wont start.
Find all posts by this user
03-20-2012, 11:08 PM
You should give more info about what you did to the engine since the last time you heard it running. The answer is usually in there somewhere.
Now either your injectors arent firing, or you are still not providing enough fuel. Spark & air are good since it fires on starter fluid.The fact that you have a fuel pressure gauge already tells me your fuel system is not 100% stock, making it harder to pinpoint a problem.

Does it fire at all, or does it fire and stall? Important to know.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-20-2012, 11:32 PM
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - HELP!!! hard time starting]

Cheers... jondee86
03-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Im going to take all the parts off again and start from there. Gonna get me a new good brand fpr, do a compression check, replace the plugs and go from there. Ill keep you guys updated also.
03-21-2012, 01:49 AM
So we´re getting there...
More info needed.
Just a few mor ideas Smile
Are all plugs getting covered in fuel if you crank for a while?
Have you got another set of any 4 age injectors, to put them in there?

Reason, I recently put some low milleage injectors on my engine, unfortunatly the had sat for 10 years, so they were clogged, engine started reved to 1000rpm than died, couldn´t restart unless you wait for a few minutes.

Set fuel pressure to 3 bar.

If you still feel (smell petrol??) like you´re flodding unplug the cold start injector (yellow plug, with a thin fuelline on it)

Is it a 4AGZE Swap into an AE86?

Running out of good ideas for now...

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
03-21-2012, 02:38 AM
I pulled the plug and did notice that they were covered. Cleaned them off and tried again but no luck. They are only covered after a while of cranking so im leaning towards bad injectors. I have another set but they are from my reg 4age and not the 4gze. Not sure if theyll work since ill be getting less fuel.

I tried the fuel bar from 2 all the way up to 6 and back down but nothing.

Yes, this is a 4agze swap into an ae86. The motor is off a 89 US mr2(aw11).

My brother might be coming up to help me this weekend and said he'll bring a few parts(2 fpr and mk3 injectors) but ill still be trying to figure it out till then.
03-21-2012, 03:55 AM
Was the MR2 running sweet before you pulled it out?

Check the engine loom, there are a bunch of brown earth wires somewhere in the area next to the injectors (at least its there on 4AGE) Make sure the´re conected and he crimping is fine.

Unplug the cold start injector and check if the plugs still get wet after a while of cranking. (This thing throwns a lot of fuel in there, which could be mistaking for fuel from the injectors)

If they stay dry, check continuity on the injector plug loom, one should have earth, and the other obviously shouldn´t. Smile
Between + and - on the injector should read unstable 5 or 12V with the engine cranking(???) i´d usually do this with a oscilloscope.Not 100% about that, check the engine manual for further advice.
If your anal about it search for injector pinout on the ecu and check continuity between ecu and + on injector plug.

Do it with all 4 plugs Smile

Quickly measure resistance of the injector as well, the should all read the same, exact numbers are in the manual aswell.

I´d just temporary swap for stock 4age injectors (the came of a recently running engine??), to ensure that your agze injectors not the reason.
Set the pressure to 3bar and play a little upwarts from there with stock 4age injectors.

If it starts than your agze injectors are faulty.

Also try 4AGE injectors with stock fpr.

That´s what I whould do next.
And keep thinking about anything suspicious during the engine swap...

Good luck!

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
03-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Yes the engine was running sweet Smile. It even had a tune up a couple months before it got into a front end wreck Sad.

Ill try all of what you posted with the 4age injectors first. Thanks a bunch guys and ill keep you all updated on what i do and find.
03-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Ok, so this is what i have have so far.

Pulled cold start and injectors are not wet at all.

Pulled injectors and checked for 12v and they all have 12v constant power while car is on. Was going to replace injector and noticed the 4age ones are square plug while 4agze are round plugs Sad. Now i either gots to get a iniversal adaptor or get a hold of some 4agze injectors. This is gonna set me back a while Crying
03-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah small progress Smile
Sorry to hear, never worked on a AGZE but I thought most of the Toyota injectors from this time were interchangable...

Get another set of AGZE Injectors, I just suggested trying the AGE ones for diagnosis, no point running them permanent!

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  lntermittent starting totta Crolla 6 2,971 08-31-2021 06:21 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Starting problems 4-AGE kouki Hanzo 3 2,103 08-31-2021 06:20 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Hard start issue kazi 5 6,078 05-23-2017 11:31 PM
Last Post: kazi