Gas analyzer unlocking in The Netherlands?
02-15-2021, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2021 07:03 PM by Power_uP.)
This is a longshot, but whatever...

I recently acquired a Sun exhaust gas analyser. Its a useful piece of equipment, but its locked and must be recalibrated. The recalibration is supposed to be done annually by someone from Sun or else the unit just does absolutely nothing, but Sun will no longer service my analyser as its too old. I therefore have a very expensive paperweight unless I can get the machine calibrated, and there doesn't seem to be anyone in the UK who still has the tools to service my unit.

However, I've noticed that Marktplaatz.nl seems to always have a few of these exact analysers listed, and many of them have been unlocked so that the annual calibration is not necessary. I'm guessing that there's still someone in The Netherlands who can still service and unlock my gas analyser and since so many people on here have old cars, can anyone point me in the direction of someone in the Netherlands (or anywhere) who has any experience with Sun gas analysers?

Here's an example of what I keep seeing: Gas Analyzer on Marktplaatz

I've had a look around various forums and there seems to be very few of these units in the UK now, so I'm not expecting to ever get the unit unlocked, but its worth trying. I'm happy to ship the analyser overseas if necessary.

I'm even happy to pay for someone to give me the firmware and I'll just get the EPROMS reprogrammed locally if that's what it takes, but there's no way I'm throwing my analyser in the trash.
Find all posts by this user
02-17-2021, 10:01 AM
What I could find is that the Sun analyser used to be a popular brand in the Netherlands but according to some sources they fell out of favor for high cost for yearly servicing and calibrations. I found a few other people who got a unit privately and complaining about your issue as well. The complaint is that the official dealers don't want to service privately owned ones and that after a year they lock up again.

I think your best bet would be to contact that Marktplaats guy: he seems to have means to service, calibrate and unlock these machines.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Gas analyzer unlocking in The Netherlands?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-17-2021, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2021 01:14 PM by Power_uP.)
Thanks for the reply. I think you're right, will contact someone on Markplaatz and see what can be done. The annoying thing is that I know someone in the UK who used to do the calibrations, but he hasn't got the equipment anymore.
Contacting the distributor in the Netherlands has indeed got me nowhere with this, though they do still have the unit listed on their website.
Find all posts by this user