GZE 145 bhp intercooler piping size?
06-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi everybody,

Does anybody know the diameter / inches or centimeters from the Intercooler from the 145 bhp GZE engine? Not the intercooler itself but the measurement for piping.

I want to buy some piping for a FMIC but I dont have the Engine yet so I am confused on what to buy.

I am also looking for the size of the pipe that goes to my airfilter from inletmanifold.

Thanks all.

Ps. is there any difference in IC's say for instance : a vertical IC and place it horizontal - which means both pipe ends are on the left side or right side...
What would be a good IC ?
Size? Make? thickness?

Thanks.

-DWG- Drift Wolf Gaming
Find all posts by this user
06-28-2011, 02:35 AM
I'm using a mitsubishi evo 6 intercooler on my turbo set-up, the bigger the intercooler the more area it has to cool the air down but also the more lag you'll have as the supercharger/turbo has more volume to fill with air before the air reaches the intake.

I wouldn't mount an intercooler vertical, one because of it's dimensions, the front of the car isn't that high to be able to get as much of intercooler surface in the cold air and allowing it to work efficiently. And two, if mounted vertically any moisture that might form or any oil that might collect in the intercooler flows into your piping. Normally when mounting a intercooler horizontally the pipe connections are in such a place that there is some space between the opening and the bottom of the intercooler allowing moisture/oil to collect.

I think my intercooler piping is 2,5" or 3" but I have to double check. I think this is to big for your application as a supercharger is flowing less air then a turbo but you should do more research on this. I would suggest using 2" piping which is also the size I've seen on 4agze set-up's here in australia.

As for a intercooler, the evo 6 is probably to big, I would go for something like a fmic 400x200x60 or something which should be plenty.

Couple of tips to get a foul-proof set-up and most response:
- Use as minimum as possible silicon pieces to join your piping together, in other words get as much (mandrel bent) piping welded as possible.
- Try to avoid using silicon 90º angles, get 90º piping if possible.
- Use proper silicon with fabric inbedded in it, this will stay firmer when things heat up under the bonnet and doesn't expand as much under boost.
- Use proper pipe clamps, especially on the pressure side of the system. With proper I mean 2cm or wider pipe clamps with chamfered edges on the steel strap. This prevents the clamp from cutting into the silicon.
Pipe clamps are often overlooked and when they're not seeling properly will leak that precious boost you want in your engine!
06-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Hey Mate,

the stock intercooler Piping from the Mr2 GZE ist 2"!

greets martin
08-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks guys!

-DWG- Drift Wolf Gaming

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shim size for AM cams kazi 4 4,521 12-18-2017 05:34 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
Wink Hub size kazi 5 8,507 06-09-2017 10:06 PM