GT Wing options
06-16-2014, 12:16 AM
GT Wing options
So I have watched a few N2 races and they all have big GT wings on TRD spoiler hatches, and talk about them being key. Are there any options specifically made for the hatch rear?
Find all posts by this user
06-16-2014, 02:52 PM
GT Wing options
Most of the N2 use "universal" spoiler. I don't think anything specific is made for the AE86.
06-17-2014, 05:28 PM
GT Wing options
A working spoiler produces downforce in the 100-200kg area, something to keep in mind when mounting it to fragile fibre glass.

You need to balance out the drag and downforce from the GT wing with front end downforce or you'll have understeer up the wazoo and net-lift over the entire car (car pitches rearward and acts like a shute, lifting the front).

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
06-18-2014, 06:54 AM
GT Wing options
I hear what you are saying and they are good points, somehow the new wave of N2 cars seem to get a lot of benefit from them and mount them ok. I wish I had some of those cars to look at!
06-18-2014, 09:15 AM
GT Wing options
(06-18-2014 06:54 AM)4000GT Wrote:  I hear what you are saying and they are good points, somehow the new wave of N2 cars seem to get a lot of benefit from them and mount them ok. I wish I had some of those cars to look at!
one often used method to transfer the load properly is to attach it no to the boot/trunk lid but rather to some reinforcement inside the boot. just make sure you can still open/remove the lid somehow.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-18-2014, 01:30 PM
GT Wing options
An exemple with Koizumi's N2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3KIHe3...sp=sharing
(you can see the reinforcement of the hatch)

http://www.c-west.co.jp/gtwing/gtwing01.asp
06-18-2014, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2014 04:07 PM by NoHachi.)
GT Wing options
GT wing in question:
- 2D wing (usually very good lift/drag ratio)
- Mounted low on hatch in dirty air
- Mounted in wake of roof so air flowing over the wing has different angles of attack at the ends compared to the middle
- Cwest, so probably $$
- flimsy support (would you want to try to stand 2 fat guys on top of that wingsupport and have them wiggle a little? I'm not so sure)

Basically what you might have there is a spoiler, not a wing. It will still produce some downforce, but at the cost of drag, lots of drag.

This one is also interesting:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - GT Wing options]

- Still mounted low in dirty air (rules?) but further back
- 3D wing might work ok in wake of roof
- beefy, would sit.
- There has to be a front diffuser on that car, can't see what else is keeping the thing from wheely-ing

There is only one car that is done very well: SS Works. But it hasn't gone very fast just yet, which drives home the point that before even thinking about aero you have to have the mechanical grip completely perfect.

Things to see:
- front diffuser (invisible)
- front splitter to balance wing (large)
- ducted front radiator vent to balance wing
- tires shielded entirely from front, vented at rear
- rear diffuser
- 2d wing mounted as high as allowed, dual element
- real wing supports
End result, significant downforce but it doesn't go quicker then a non-aero TRD car. Go figure.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
06-18-2014, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2014 11:59 PM by Project D.)
GT Wing options
Koizumi (T.S Factory) is one of the 4 or 5 being able to run under 1min in Tsukuba (59:960) while the SS Works is barely able to go under 1:02... (1:01:911)
And personally I don't consider the SS Works an AE86 anymore.
(They keep the external shape, but that's pretty much it...)

Keep in mind that the N2 are not like WTAC car for example. They don't have 5/800hp and they run on full slick so they basically don't need major downforce.
A bit more than the TRD spoiler with extension (like Tsuchiya) is enough to keep the rear stable.

Too much aero on the rear and you need to compensate on the front (weight transfer during braking does that), and too much downforce will just slow you down.
You get a good example of what's best with modern supercars like Bugatti, McLaren or Koenigsegg: "Active" rear wing; minimal downforce on the straight line, maximum on braking and cornering.

(This guy explain better than me.)
06-19-2014, 07:28 AM
GT Wing options
(06-18-2014 09:15 AM)Bean Bandit Wrote:  
(06-18-2014 06:54 AM)4000GT Wrote:  I hear what you are saying and they are good points, somehow the new wave of N2 cars seem to get a lot of benefit from them and mount them ok. I wish I had some of those cars to look at!
one often used method to transfer the load properly is to attach it no to the boot/trunk lid but rather to some reinforcement inside the boot. just make sure you can still open/remove the lid somehow.

Yeah I have seen some people do that also... I found this too.

http://tecarts.com/catalog/exterior-interior.html
06-19-2014, 07:34 AM
GT Wing options
If you're referring to the wing it looks very common, i.e. not specific to the AE86. It would still need some way of reinforcement underneath.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Can Wing Mirror Glass be Replaced? chrisae86 1 744 03-05-2023 09:34 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Converting Jap Spec wing mirrors to UK spec chrisae86 5 1,629 04-12-2022 11:03 PM
Last Post: chrisae86
Thumbs Up ITB filter options mister86 1 2,945 12-06-2020 10:44 AM
Last Post: Bean
  AE86 starter options max_ae86 12 27,460 07-28-2019 08:17 PM
Last Post: harkes
  AE86 rear suspension options 2018 Alex 9 9,333 01-24-2018 02:25 PM
Last Post: mad.matt