Front suspension question
07-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Hi there, I´ve converted my ae86 kouki front legs to coilovers using a DIY kit, that works with 2,5" springs. The inserts are bilstein.

My empty pockets and the afraid to order the wrong size and rate let me use a peugeot 307 rear springs (its too soft) until I get the good ones.

Im using 15" and the car is dropped a bit. It has about 3cm between tire and wing. Its a dayly drive car and sometimes i take it to track and to drift it as well.

So what size (long) and spring rate shound I order? I also have helper springs seats (not used at the moment) should i get them too? which size?

Many Thanks in advance

Cheers
Find all posts by this user
07-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Length depends on your setup, on rideheight you want the spring to be in the center of the adjustment, for daily use something like 6,5 7kg/mm. Dont think your is going to be low enough for helper springs, if you dont have to have them by law dont use them Smile

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
07-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Depends on the dampers. You can use full stroke HTS with helper springs. This is needed if you run realistic street springrates.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
07-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Thanks a lot for your answers. I was thinking about "transform" the bilstein inserts to more kind a short stroke by cutting 3 or 4cm on the shaft of the insert itself, make it new thead on the cutted zone and tight it again on the insert body (The bilsteins are upside down)

Doing this, the shock would work on a more natural travel gap, close to not be dropped down on ride height.

What do you thing about?

So how much more far away from this 7kg/mm can I go to not be unconfy on street?

Cheers
07-05-2013, 11:05 AM
leon205gti Wrote:Thanks a lot for your answers. I was thinking about "transform" the bilstein inserts to more kind a short stroke by cutting 3 or 4cm on the shaft of the insert itself, make it new thead on the cutted zone and tight it again on the insert body (The bilsteins are upside down)

Doing this, the shock would work on a more natural travel gap, close to not be dropped down on ride height.

What do you thing about?

So how much more far away from this 7kg/mm can I go to not be unconfy on street?

Cheers

Doing this is more likely to transform them into scrap.

An analogue brain in a digital World
07-05-2013, 11:48 AM
The shafts are hardened and very hard to machine and tap. Not impossible, but very very hard.

Which Bilsteins are you using? Body length?

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
07-07-2013, 05:32 AM
Iirc the are bilstein b6 inserts.

From where to the ground can i take a truthly ride leght?

My wings are a bit widened and out of original size

Cheers

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suspension question The Robot Cow 9 6,669 03-12-2013 08:30 AM
Last Post: NoHachi
  oil catch can/ suspension question fax0815 12 15,317 04-23-2011 01:31 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  Ke70 front struts question ts@n@k@s 2 3,112 12-30-2008 03:08 PM
Last Post: dollykean
  Front shock question delange 6 5,104 11-06-2006 11:02 PM